107 vs 103 db

JasonJCarney

Those numbers won't mean too much cause the volume used to get those readings was not "reference" . It does show you the difference between 2 A5-350's vs 1 in my system. The settings were on what audyssey set everything to. 4db difference between 1 sub and 2. Thought it was interesting.

Should be 3db, not 4! Go from 2 watts to 4 watts = 3db, go from 4 watts to 8 watts = 3db, go from 1 speaker to two = 3 db, go from 2 speakers to 4 speakers = 3 db, 4 speakers to 8 speakers = 3 db.

decibels are not a linear measurenment!! 3db = twice the output physically. It takes 10 db for our inefficent ears to register that sound as twice as loud.

Roger

Could be a function of my measurement technique and my radio shack meter. So 3 db's is 2x as loud?

Physically, 3db is twice as loud, although it does not sound like it to the human ear, yes.....

Although eight of your subs would be 9db louder then one sub, and percieved as almost twice as loud as one to a listener in a blind study.

Roger

So your saying 1 sub is as good as 3?

I'm sure you have realized that two subs don't sound twice as loud, however, there is twice the output! You still get the benifit of twice the energy into your chest and couch though!

There is a PWK dope from hope on this relationship. Hopefully, someone tomorow may post it for you. Regaurdless, do the math and figure out how many watts it takes to hit 121 db from a speaker that is say 80 db efficient vs: 104 db efficient like a klipschorn, and efficencies importance becomes imeadiately apparant.

I hit 126 db at the center of a 13' x 17' room with only 4 TSCMs playing, not the seven I have now, nor the same room. This is at the center of the room, not 3 feet, and with no woofer. My KPT-684 can put out 130db at 3 feet, efficency at work here!

Roger

Diminshing returns audibly, especially when you understand that db is not a linear measurement and the inherent inefficiency of the human ear.

Another way to look at it would be that you got an increase of 3db by adding one sub so now you have two. OK, now we add a third sub and it will only give you an increase of 1.5db over two subs.

If you already had 4 subs, one additional sub is going to give you an increase of only 0.75db!

Roger

Diminshing returns audibly, especially when you understand that db is not a linear measurement and the inherent inefficiency of the human ear.

Another way to look at it would be that you got an increase of 3db by adding one sub so now you have two. OK, now we add a third sub and it will only give you an increase of 1.5db over two subs.

If you already had 4 subs, one additional sub is going to give you an increase of only 0.75db!

Roger

I just sharted.[*-)]

Should just note that it is not always a 3dB increase when adding a second subwoofer. For example, if they are stacked, you should yield a 6dB increase; same as if you measured a subwoofer in an anechoic chamber at 1 meter and then measured it ground plane at one meter.

Should just note that it is not always a 3dB increase when adding a second subwoofer. For example, if they are stacked, you should yield a 6dB increase; same as if you measured a subwoofer in an anechoic chamber at 1 meter and then measured it ground plane at one meter.

Sometimes if you have a lot of room gain it can be a little
more than 3db but if you have two identical subs level matched it’s always 3db.
Twice as much = 3db.

Co-located subs will typically yield a 6 dB gain. I've seen twice as loud listed as 10 dB, or even 6 dB. I've never seen twice as loud listed as 3 dB.

3db IS twice as loud, technically. The way the human ear responds to sound

however, it takes 10db to be "perceived" as twice as loud

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.decibelcar.com%2Fmenutheory%2F115.html&ei=OcVSTvmJH8XosQLHgrDCBg&usg=AFQjCNFkBKO9tlI3mspj00Qi_FtP3CoEMQ

3db IS twice as loud, technically.

Yes and no. A 6dB increase equates to twice the sound pressure (in pascals), whereas 3dB increase equates to twice the sound intensity (watts/meter^2).

Basically, when you double the power into a single driver, you yield a 3dB increase. When you double the drivers in a colocated fashion and in phase, as well as double the power, you yield 6dB.