Source makes a huge difference

Beechnut

Dynamic range is, IMHO, the domain of the composer and musician, not the engineer.

Only for unamplified music. When the music is rock, R&B, C&W, most jazz, dance music, hiphop, etc. they are always (professionally) recorded multitrack and it is vital to control the dynamics. In these cases that's the job of the engineer. Processing is done on a per channel basis during mixdown and compensates for problems such as inconsistent drum hits, uneven bass guitar notes, singers with poor mic techniques and the like. It is difficult or impossible to mix properly with the channel levels jumping all over the place.

Slapping a comp across a stereo bus is a different matter. That sort of thing is mostly done during the mastering phase of production and that is the most detectable use of dynamics compression. When properly applied on a per channel basis dynamics processing (gating, compression, and limiting) does not make the recording sound unnatural at all but rather makes it sound better (unless the engineer is intentionally using dynamics control as an effect).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Intel 1701 chipset found on most motherboards is capable of recording uncompressed at 24/192. Anyone who can't afford that can't afford to eat.

Dave

I think there are more important aspects to making a high quality recording than bit and sample rates (i.e. microphones, etc.) :)

I personally don't play MP3s on my audio system either. Part of the reason is simply an ideal - to me, MP3s represent those who don't care about sound quality. We take the time and effort to put together systems and learn to appreciate great quality sound, then play an audio format that was designed simply to take up less space? Another reason is that I question how high the quality is of the output from most computers and iPods? I know I'm not impressed listening with headphones. I am a bit of a hypocrite though, I used to make my own live recordings using minidisc and would happily play those through my system.

Of course in the end it's just about listening. Fortunately the music I listen to (classical) is still available on something better than MP3. Sometimes I'll listen to some YouTube recordings just for historical reasons, but not through my audio system.

A lot of Metal music (IE: Underground) is recorded at (somewhat) lower quality.

Often times; this is due to budget constraints on bands that have not made it yet.

An Intel 1701 chipset found on most motherboards is capable of recording uncompressed at 24/192. Anyone who can't afford that can't afford to eat.

Dave

An intel chipset does not give the same result as a multi million dollar studio with high paid sound engineers and production, mixing, etc.

Continuing with this thread (for me) is pointless; as you seem concerned only with making your point, instead of actually trying to understand other views.

A lot of Metal music (IE: Underground) is recorded at (somewhat) lower quality.

Often times; this is due to budget constraints on bands that have not made it yet.

Dave

An intel chipset does not give the same result as a multi million dollar studio with high paid sound engineers and production, mixing, etc.

Continuing with this thread (for me) is pointless; as you seem concerned only with making your point, instead of actually trying to understand other views.

Allow me to put my 2 bobs worth in here. I have 3 Crapple iPods but did not buy any of them. Well intentioned people give them at presentations. Even though I put wav files on them and for the record NEVER mp3. They have no hope of ever being anything more than something to test if the limiters are set properly to protect a commercial system from maniac DJ's. I reckon the D/A in an iPod is worth 2 bob "20 cents". Yet people continue to want to connect them to carefully considered system installations. There is nothing that can match a multi million dollar studio with dedicated engineers and producers. Before computers and CD's there was a generally accepted standard of exceeding what was done before, now, I assert that has somewhat lapsed.

Those direct to disc Sheffield Lad recordings always had the sensation of real. The real sound accurately recorded so it could be accurately reproduced on your Klipsch speakers.

No sir, I am done making my point. I apologize if I antagonized you. Not my intention. Just wanted to ensure we are speaking the same language. Email is notoriusly vague on "tone of voice."

I do understand other views, and even how they came about. However, that story might be construed as a red herring.

Sorry again. Overcomplex way of saying:

1. I understand your POV

2. I understand other POVs on the subject.

3. I don't like compression, period. Heck, I don't like pro football...but I like an AWEFUL lot of people that do...[:D]

Dave

DR, you definitely have the advantage on me as per amplified or generated instruments. I LOVE all the great music produced in that medium in it's entire history, but would be clueless as to how to engineer it. I would only be able to apply acoustic instrument thinking to it.

I must assume that it is not possible to limit the dynamic range of such instruments to the range of the human threshold of silence to the threshold of pain, i.e., the normal range of dynamics we are used to.

In fact, I couldn't follow your technical paragraph at all as I am quite ignorant of the technology involved.

Nonetheless, I love much of the output. Allan Parsons had a totally natural...and certainly artificial due to the nature of his compositions...dynamic range from black silence to the threshold of pain.

About like a brass choir and 75 rank organ from 30 feet in a narrow stone choir.

Dave

"Kraftwerk blows"????

Don't tell Uli Kunkle, aka Karl Hungous aka Uli the Nihlist! "we believe in nuhsink und tomorrow ve come back and ve cut off your johnson!"

I don't believe in compression. In fact I think I'll go decompress with a j and a white russian.

No sir, I am done making my point. I apologize if I antagonized you. Not my intention. Just wanted to ensure we are speaking the same language. Email is notoriusly vague on "tone of voice."

I do understand other views, and even how they came about. However, that story might be construed as a red herring.

Sorry again. Overcomplex way of saying:

1. I understand your POV

2. I understand other POVs on the subject.

3. I don't like compression, period. Heck, I don't like pro football...but I like an AWEFUL lot of people that do...Big Smile

Dave

Dave,

In a perfect world for me; every single recording and song would be perfectly engineered and mixed.

I set my minimum standard of 320 KBS because the world is not perfect.

As I said; I copy every CD I have and own/ have access to over in FLAC.

Email and forum posting can make a spirited debate difficult.

I would say I do not like compression either; but I know it exists and have chosen to deal with it when necessary.

As for Kraftewerke; I stand by my statement; because I do not like their music. That being said; to each his own, and I do not criticize those who do......

As for Kraftewerke; I stand by my statement; because I do not like their music. That being said; to each his own, and I do not criticize those who do......

Hell, man, it's awful. But I like the very few people I know who think otherwise...[:D]

Dave

I set my minimum standard of 320 KBS because the world is not perfect.

As I said; I copy every CD I have and own/ have access to over in FLAC.

What is your physical source? Computer? The device can make more of a difference than the audio format. For instance, compressed minidisc recordings on a quality MD deck will disgrace 'cd-quality' audio on an iPod or standard computer output.

Sorry dude, I completely disagree with your statement.

See my signature line.

If you don't mind, it don't matter.

However, listening to a quality recording of something critical...say a solo Strad...makes the sonic degradation of any compression scheme that in any way throws out audio information painfully obvious.

OTOH, you are unlikely to notice if listening to Kraftwerke.

Dave

Dern Anglican snob. First of all, Kraftwerk was never compressed as far as a I know. Second, I have fahrted on the der Autobahn and if you had I'm sure your attitude would be different. Most times, not always, someone with a decent system will have no problem identifying compression wherever it's employed. Most of the time it's pretty obvious and not solely the realm of metal bands and bad pop recordings. Indeed, I'm pretty sure some of those classical organ grinders have been compressing their pipes in order to impress the church ladies.

How can you not like these lyrics:

Autobahn :

Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal

Die Sonne scheint mit Glitzerstrahl

Die Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band

Weisse Streifen, gruener Rand

Jetzt schalten wir ja das Radio an

Aus dem Lautsprecher klingt es dann:

Wir fah'rn auf der Autobahn...

Sublime, simply sublime.

Schweinhundt...

My Kraftwerke IS compressed. I placed it in the compactor myself and saw to it. I takes up MUCH less room than before.[6]

I had no intention of ragging on der Kraftwerke Partei. I have only one point in this thread:

Compression, dynamic or file, is an evil plot completely unnecessary with technology that provides unlimited cheap storage and a dynamic range from the threshold of audibility to the threshold of pain.

And, yes, compressed organ is very painful. I try to keep my organ well clear of it.

Dave