New LS at the house

Marvel

The covers on the bass sections have no seal at all. Easy to fix.

The tweeters were round piezos, and are properly disposed of.

Woofers are 8 ohm... of an eminence variety that I haven't identified yet, but easily replaced.

I'm thinking I'll pull the woofers, open up the doghouse and enclose the backs with added ports. My main LS will be able to stay in service while I do the work.

Bruce

On further inspection, one of these is a clone. Done very well, and is a good match. If veneered, you wouldn't be able to tell. The top of the clone has the grain going the wrong direction.The finish on the clone is in better shape, as well

Bruce

On further inspection, one of these is a clone. Done very well, and is a good match. If veneered, you wouldn't be able to tell. The top of the clone has the grain going the wrong direction.The finish on the clone is in better shape, as well

Bruce

Are they in good enough shape to maybe lightly sand and re-finish?

I picked up a pair of empty LaScala cabinets from a friend way back when for free. The finish on mine was raw birch w/oil, and were a bit more battered than yours. I sanded the cabinets the best I could, but would be better off painting them black.

With Crites replacement K33 woofers found second hand, a pair of K55 drivers found second hand, K401 horns from Klipsch, and some Crites CT125 tweeters, I was into the whole thing for roughly 600 bucks.

I aquired some crossover networks from the guy that gave me the LS cabinets. And with parts on hand along with the parts aquired, built the necessary networks on the cheap.

Mike

Mike,

I could lightly sand and refinish. The real LS cab has the worse finish.

I put the EV drivers into my other LS on Sunday afternoon, and they sound fine, so I will probably go ahead and use them, at least for now. I have a pair of crossovers from speakerfritz that he sent me, with bypass caps on them, so I could toss them in for now as well.

Plan is to enclose the top, open the doghouse and port them, i.e., as DJK's mod suggests.

Just need the time, and cash is a bit short right now. I just couldn't pass these up for the price.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

While on a trip to DC for my wife to get her Philippine passport
renewed, a stop was made at my older son's house in N.C. Carna and I
picked up some K-33s from Invidiosulus. The best part, of course, was getting to see the daughter-in-law and grandkids. What a treat!

However... sticking with things audio, the woofers are now safely at our house, until I can get around to doing some work on these cabinets. The plan is shaping up... First, I will open up the doghouse into the top area, and enclose the backs. This will increase the volume of the doghouse. I will make a slot port that will mount in the original mid horn space.

Then, a new tractrix horn will be placed on the top of the cabinet. Josh will get these built... sometime... [;)]

Slowly but surely, these will come together. No hury, but it will happen.

Bruce

OH YEAH... I have a set of K77s which were replaced by a set of CT125s, but they were then replaced with the APT150s I placed on top of my original LS. I also have the set of crossovers from Speakerfritz, with the battery bias setup.

Now I just need Josh to make the horns and for me to get off the couch and get all the other work done on the cabs.

Bruce