New LS at the house

Marvel

Short story is... I went through our small town on the way to work... to drop off payment for our water bill. On the way back to head to work I turned down a small side street. Glance over to the right and see a pair of LaScalas on the porch of this house. Made note to myself to check it out later...

Had to go back into town on way home from work... went by to see if the LS were still there... stopped and checked them out (house is empty). No labels on the backs, some smaller metal horns stuck in the opening where K400s would go. Piezo in the tweeter position. Obviously been worked over.

Started to leave a note, when an older gentleman pulled around the corner on a riding lawnmower. He told me the house had been closed up for three years and they were cleaning it up to rent again. He was trying to contact the man who had the LS, so I left my number with him.

Got a call today... picked them up for $100.

Not really too shabby.

Don't know the woofer...

Mid drivers: EV 1828R

Tweeters, unknown but who cares.

Crossovers: JBL 3110 (800Hz two way)

Cabinets are lacquer and not it too bad a shape.

I can easily recover my purchase price and put new parts in.

It's dark, and pictures will be forthcoming.

Bruce

No Moondogs in the house... [;)]

These are prime for upgrades, maybe a tractrix mid horn.

I still have the crossovers from Speakerfritz that I haven't swapped into mine to check out his bypass cap mod, so I'm good to go there, if that's the route I will take.

Bruce

The wife said it was fine, and went with me to pick up the second one. She helped me carry them in, which is no small feat as she is only 4' 9".

Until I get room in storage, they are in a small room in the house. jpb, let me know about the horns. I think I can use the EV drivers (they are rated 190-8Kz. OEM diaphragms are available in 8 or 16 ohms ($29-$49)

Would love to add Dave's circletrac for the tweeter, enclose the back and open up the doghouse and port them.

Bruce

I would like to use a 2" driver and go two way, but I don't have the coin for the drivers. I think I oculd use the EV 1828R (1" drivers) drivers with no problem with current LS networks if I get the 16 ohm diaphragms. This means still going three way. btw, the PAudio BMD750 drivers are available new for $119 each,which is really tempting. I could put those on the JBL 2365 horns, but the WAF is just about zero.

Home made horns have a bit of appeal since you make them yourself... [H]

josh... email me or call me to talk about what you are thinking.

Bruce