Just ordered 2 RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RSW-10d & Elite SC-57...

usmcavenger

So after months and months of saving and debating as to what speakers to finally purchase, I went with 2 RF-7 II's and the RC-64 II with the RSW-10d subwoofer. On top of that I ordered Pioneer's Elite SC-57 to power these. My question is something very basic and simple and sort of embarrasing to ask but I'd rather swallow my pride than ruin any part of my new set up. So, once I get these and go to actually plug them in. Does it really matter these days as to what kind of power supply/ surge protector I have or will the basic 3 dollar one I've been using do the trick? So again its a very "rookie" question but I just want to be sure. I hope you all had an awesome Labor Day weekend!

Marc

Refer to the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) recommendation for "Enhanced Protection Against Lightning", section 1.1.1.3 http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/IEEE_Guide.pdf Basically, the best possible protection is comprised of a combination of lightning rods, surge protection at the circuit breaker and any other incoming wiring (phone, cable), and point of service protection.

USMCAVENGER,

Welcome to the forum.

I know you are not asking for approval but wanted to give you my take on your gear.

First I want to say great choice in front soundstage and receiver.[Y][Y][Y] Hard to catch the "upgrade" bug when you start that high.

Now to your subwoofer. Excellent sub for music.[8][Y] Very tight and fast and not an ounce of boominess(from my experience). It has a very flat response with very few peaks and valleys. As for HT, great choice down to around 25Hz, which for most is plenty low. Overall, the RSW-10d is a superb performing subwoofer with a stout build quality that leans toward music applications but won't be embarassed[:$] in a HT environment.

Here is a thread that shows how well the RSW-10d can perform(measure).

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/80433.aspx?PageIndex=1

Does it really matter these days as to what kind of power supply/ surge protector I have or will the basic 3 dollar one I've been using do the trick?

I don't know if I would suggest the run of the mill $3.00 surge protector but I do think you should find one with at least some protection.

So again its a very "rookie" question but I just want to be sure.

No such thing as a rookie question on this forum.

Bill

Thank you everyone for the replies! This is definently the place to go for questions of any kind. Well I think I'll spend a few bucks on a decent surge protector that's for sure. Up until now I've had the same speakers since I was about 12 years old back in 1997. The Klipsch KSB 1.1's powered by Yamaha receiver of the same age, so anything bigger than that is all new to me. Plus I am currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan and have another 2.5 years left out here before returning to the states so I am unable to check any of these speakers out in local stores. Anyways...

Now I do have a question as far as the subwoofers go. My living room (which is where all of the speakers will be located) is roughly 15 x 15 feet and all tile (which sucks). I do have a giant carpet in the middle of the room however it does not extend to the corners of the room where these speakers and subwoofer will be set up. I have heard that Subwoofers do not sound nearly as good when sitting on a tile floor opposed to a carpeted room. Do anyone have any information on how true this is?

And another question I had was about my subwoofer. I have the RSW-10d on its way out here, but I was unable to find this specific model on the Kliipsch website, so I just went off of whatever reviews I could find about it and it was in my $1,000 price range. So my question is, and I know this is all opinion but that's what I'm looking for. Would you recommend this subwoofer over another Klipsch subwoofer of equal value or should I have researched this a little more? I know that I will be happy with this being that I've never had one to begin with but I'm just curious what else is out there. And is there a model that has replaced this one since it is no longer available on the Klipsch website? Thank you again and I'll be sure to post some before and after pictures! Waiting for these will be the longest week of my life! haha

Marc

And another question I had was about my subwoofer. I have the RSW-10d on its way out here, but I was unable to find this specific model on the Kliipsch website, so I just went off of whatever reviews I could find about it and it was in my $1,000 price range. So my question is, and I know this is all opinion but that's what I'm looking for. Would you recommend this subwoofer over another Klipsch subwoofer of equal value or should I have researched this a little more?

Folks are going to tell you there is more bang-for-your buck than a Klipsch Subwoofer, but the RSW line ARE quality subs. [Y] Here is a link to the RSW-10d but it should have been cheaper than $1,000:

http://www.klipsch.com/rsw-10d-subwoofer

Also, you must have cut & pasted your response from another program,,,,Unfortunately this makes all of your sentences run together and it's hard to read.

I don't understand why it put all my paragraphs together. I double spaced between each paragraph thinking that would work but aparently not. I hit "Post" and the double spaces disapeared. Apologies for that one. Thank you for the link. I know I'll still be happy with what I got. I purchased it at 903.00 so hopefully I didn't rip myself off too badly. I know that there is probably better "bang for the buck" subs out there but I knew Klipsch wouldn't let me down so I stuck with them. Thanks again for the link though and I'm still gonna lose sleep every night till they're here!

And another question I had was about my subwoofer. I have the RSW-10d on its way out here, but I was unable to find this specific model on the Kliipsch website, so I just went off of whatever reviews I could find about it and it was in my $1,000 price range. So my question is, and I know this is all opinion but that's what I'm looking for. Would you recommend this subwoofer over another Klipsch subwoofer of equal value or should I have researched this a little more?

As I mentioned in my last reply, the RSW-10d is a very musical sub that can hold it's own against many subs in it's price range and even some costing more. It is built with the same drivers that the RT-10d(2nd from top in Ref. IV series) is equipped with minus one passive woofer. Very tight punchy bass and spot on accurate. I did a very controlled A-B comparison with a Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature($2000.00) with its 10 inch active and 10 inch passive woofers and 2700 watts amplifier. This Sunfire did trump the Klipsch in output and low extension but it was not even close in musicality as the Klipsch was, in my opinion. I just could not force myself to replace the Klipsch with the Sunfire.

As with many smaller subs, they tend to sharply roll off in the mid 20Hz range and the RSW-10d is no exception. Up until that point, the RSW-10d is one awesome sub. That is why I added a Paradigm Servo 15a to fill the gap and handle the low lows.

I am a bit biased when it comes to the RSW-10d, I like it that much. Now that I added the Paradigm, the Klipsch's shortcomings has been eliminated.

There are better subs for HT out there in the $1000.00 range but for music, the RSW-10d can run with the best of them.

Bill

Well I can assure you that I am absolutely stoked for this subwoofer to finally arrive! this is all I can think about at work! haha. I'll be sure to post my impressions on it but I already know I'll love it without a doubt. Music is what I'll be playing most of the time so I believe this one's perfect for me! Again thank you all for the information and I'll be sure to let you know when its hooked up! Thanks!

I'll be sure to post my impressions on it but I already know I'll love it without a doubt. Music is what I'll be playing most of the time so I believe this one's perfect for me! Again thank you all for the information and I'll be sure to let you know when its hooked up! Thanks!

If you just so happen to not like it(just don't blame me), I will take it off your hands for $500.00 shipped if it is cherry.[:D][;)]

Bill

As I mentioned in my last reply, the RSW-10d is a very musical sub that can hold it's own against many subs in it's price range and even some costing more. It is built with the same drivers that the RT-10d(2nd from top in Ref. IV series) is equipped with minus one passive woofer. Very tight punchy bass and spot on accurate. I did a very controlled A-B comparison with a Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature($2000.00) with its 10 inch active and 10 inch passive woofers and 2700 watts amplifier. This Sunfire did trump the Klipsch in output and low extension but it was not even close in musicality as the Klipsch was, in my opinion. I just could not force myself to replace the Klipsch with the Sunfire.

As with many smaller subs, they tend to sharply roll off in the mid 20Hz range and the RSW-10d is no exception. Up until that point, the RSW-10d is one awesome sub. That is why I added a Paradigm Servo 15a to fill the gap and handle the low lows.

I am a bit biased when it comes to the RSW-10d, I like it that much. Now that I added the Paradigm, the Klipsch's shortcomings has been eliminated.

There are better subs for HT out there in the $1000.00 range but for music, the RSW-10d can run with the best of them.

Bill

Nice to know that you liked Klipsch RSW-10D from musicality point...Thumbs up! Great...

Well I just received an email from the company I'm buying the speakers through and they said they do not have any of the RSW-10d's in stock and that they've been discontinued and most likely won't receive any. Which makes sense because they're not on the Klipsch website anymore but they were on this other companies website as still for sale. Anyways, they offered me the choice of buying either the SW-310 or SW-311. I figured since I'm already this committed into this stereo system I might as well fork over the extra 300 bucks to own the SW-311. Not sure what the real difference is between the two but I imagine its at least noticable. Thank you again everyone for the help and information. I hate this part of ordering things online. When they're ordered so all you can do is wait. haha. Thanks!

Well I just received an email from the company I'm buying the speakers through and they said they do not have any of the RSW-10d's in stock and that they've been discontinued and most likely won't receive any. Which makes sense because they're not on the Klipsch website anymore but they were on this other companies website as still for sale. Anyways, they offered me the choice of buying either the SW-310 or SW-311. I figured since I'm already this committed into this stereo system I might as well fork over the extra 300 bucks to own the SW-311. Not sure what the real difference is between the two but I imagine its at least noticable. Thank you again everyone for the help and information. I hate this part of ordering things online. When they're ordered so all you can do is wait. haha. Thanks!

I think there is a big difference, at least that's how one of the Klipsch dealer portrayed it to me!

Klipsch SW-311 is more in the league of RT-10D or 12D then RSW-10D. While, I have auditioned both RT-10D and 12D and loved it, I haven't seen or heard SW-311/310. Fingers x'ed!!! Good luck with your decision/purchase. [H]

I've hold off sub-woofer purchase since some time, but not sure how long I'll be able to resist it!!![;)]

• 7 months later...

USM, I am looking at buying a similar system including the Pioneer SC-57 and I was hoping you could tell me what you think of this receiver and also of the RF-7 II speakers with this receiver. I am considering purchasing RF-82 II instead of RF-7 II and RC-62 II instead of RC-64 II which will certainly be a step down in both cases but I am trying to keep overall system cost down. Anyway, I'd love to hear what you think about the sound quality of your speakers and receiver and also about your system in general.

No worries if it's an old thread! lol. Well I still have the SC-57 as well as the RF-7II's and RC-64II. I have yet to upgrade my surrounds so I am currently using my very old 1.1's that are almost worthless as a surround speaker but better than nothing for the time being. I have also added the KW-120-THX sub with the KA-1000-THX amp! So first off, I am still just as in love with this set up as the day I first put everything together!

I'm by no means a tech expert when it comes to stereos so I apologize ahead of time for not getting into the Ohm's and Db levels and what not for that is way out of my league currently. But what I can tell you is that you'll go deaf (and your neighbors) long before these speakers ever show a hint of distortion! I am currently in the Marine Corps stationed in Japan and on my base, I have the loudest stereo hands down! But that's not why I have this of course (that's just a perk!) The clarity and rich detail that these speakers put out amaze me every single day.

The Pioneer Elite was the first thing from my current set up to arrive in the mail. So naturally I immediately hooked it up to the 1.1's that I've had for the past 15 years and I immediately heard a difference. It was like night and dad. Like when you finally change the oil in your car! The receiver that I replaced was a yamaha that I still own and love. But it didn't have nearly the power of the SC and once I settled on the flagship reference's I knew I had to have the best of receivers. Now I have never listened to any other Klipsch brand speakers before so I can not compare these to anything else. However my neighbor has a pair of floor standing speakers and center (Sony) that are similar in size but the quality of sound it puts out is nothing like these! Ok, back to the SC-57. I have a 5.2 surround set up as of now and that does more than enough. I have not tried any other variations nor have I tried utilizing the different zones that the SC-57 is capable of (mainly because I live in a small multiplex. roughly 900sq ft.) but I imagine if it handles those like it does my current set up you'll have no issues what so ever. The only gripe that I do have with this receiver is the power cord. The male end of the cord fits into the back of the receiver. However for some reason mine will not fit snugly in place and can easily fall out. I know it has to be the wrong sized power cord but I have not done anything about it so I partially blame myself. It'll fit into the receiver but if I wiggle it or touch it the slightest it can fall out. Not sure what the deal is with that.

Ok, I know this reply has been all over the place and completely unorganized but there is just too much to explain! lol. When I originally researched what I wanted I was dead set on the 82's. I figured they'd be more than enough speaker for me to handle (and I'm sure they are) But as the weeks went on and I kept doing my research I noticed that I kept going back to the RF-7II's with that "What if?" question. I just knew that if I settled for the 82's or small I'd always wonder just what I'm missing. And one day when I showed the wife which of the two she thought looked better she picked the 7's. So I immediately said F it! I gotta have 'em! Ok, sorry for the novel as I can imagine getting much flak for this. Please ask anymore questions if you have any and I'll answer them to the best of my ability! Oh, and a subwoofer is a must!!!!!!! It completely changed the movie and music landscape for me in a home theater setting!