Poor man's middle age crisis....

Mighty Favog

Willy!!

An Alva Scratch! I will never forget the girl Tony used in the ad for the Dagger Tail. (don't look Ethel!!)

Posted Image

Invidiosulus - Here's an old Gordon & Smith ad from 79'.

Posted Image

Here's the rest of the collection. I started in 1972 and by my junior year of high school I was riding for Coca-Cola. Only lasted 18-months, got to be more of a job than a hobby so I went back leisure skating (but mostly illegal) in the street. You can definitrly see the time line here.

Posted Image

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid, we made our own skateboards out of a stick and some old Conestoga wagon parts. Whittled my first turntable out of an old redwood burl, I did.

Luxury! You had it easy. We were so poor, I had to scratch the shape of a skateboard in the dirt and pretend I was riding all over town.

When I was a kid, we made our own skateboards out of a stick and some old Conestoga wagon parts. Whittled my first turntable out of an old redwood burl, I did.

Luxury! You had it easy. We were so poor, I had to scratch the shape of a skateboard in the dirt and pretend I was riding all over town.

Duuude! You were riding the freaking Earth!

Duuude! You were riding the freaking Earth!

yes i was and it made me thirsty.

Skateboarders here are telling City Council that long boards should be exempt from "no skateboarding" laws because they're a transport/commuter vehicle, not a stunt device. There are lots of long boards in use here.

Hope they're successful at at.

I want to, some day, take our honeymoon in NYC. But a real bummer is that skateboarding is illegal there too. I mean...on one of those days where she and I just go off for one day and do what we want seperately, I wanted to ride down to Ground Zero from Time Square and not take a cab or a subway.

It should roll faster now when you factor in the extra gravity.................

I know what you're saying but I'm only about 15 lbs heavier now than from high-school. ( I know, it's disgusting... Zip it! )

I'm still the same weight as when I was in high school, 160 lbs. Age has nothing to do with it. It's about adjusting your food intake whenever your weight goes up or down more than a couple of pounds.

That said, some people, like me, tend to be slim, while others bulk up easily. Sometimes I wish I could muscle up a bit more, but I'm not complaining.

• Moderators

Age has nothing to do with it.

I would have to say yes and no to that, it seems like the older you get the harder it is to lose, probably part of slowing down a little ? But your right It still comes down to intake and what your eating. I changed the way I eat about 5 months ago and have lost 50 pounds so far eating 5 times a day. Still haven't started exercising yet, but will. [:$]

Age has nothing to do with it.

I would have to say yes and no to that, it seems like the older you get the harder it is to lose, probably part of slowing down a little ? But your right It still comes down to intake and what your eating. I changed the way I eat about 5 months ago and have lost 50 pounds so far eating 5 times a day. Still haven't started exercising yet, but will. Embarrassed

You're right that age makes for certain differences, and some things are tougher to do. What I meant was that weight gain with age is not a given, even though we see it so often. Doctors no longer consider it normal to gain weight as you age, although they did up until about fifteen years ago.

It's great to hear that you've got your weight heading the direction you want it to. It sounds like you've got a handle on what works for you in the eating department. As for exercise, it doesn't have to be all formal, with joining a gym and all that. Just walking more is good. Being active and having an active mindset is what counts. I was just doing some "dynamic tension" arm exercises at the keyboard a few minutes ago. A few pushups, ab crunches, some stretches, and I'm good to go.

The workout is three times a week, but the stretching is every day. Make it a habit, and it doesn't seem like work. It will also improve your self-image, because you're expressing your determination and actually doing something that's good for you and makes you feel and look better.

• Moderators

makes you feel and look better.

Well no money for plastic surgery so I will settle for feeling better. [Y]

I have been very active working on building toys for me, cooking toys, [:P] and that's why I haven't started exercising, by the time it starting to get dark I am tired, the heat has not helped either. That project is done so I need to start working out, have a bowflex in the garage to help. I do feel better after I workout and I miss that.

The wife is now workout addicted if she does not workout everyday she is not happy, which is fine by me. We are all eating better now, including my daughter. [Y]

I guess I was a good or bad cook depending on how you look at it, I made everyone overweight. [:o]

I'm waiting till someone throws in the slower matabolism while aging....Cool

Me? I weighted 117 lbs in high school and about 130-140 now depending on the time of year.

Two things occur to me when someone mentions metabolism. First, eat what you need. Not more, not less. If your metabolism is slower, you may need less food, so you'll be cheaper to feed.

Second, you can adjust your metabolic rate by changing your activity level. That's how exercising gives you an all-day benefit, even when you're not doing it.

• Moderators

Your right, one thing I noticed when started eating better was I had more energy which let me do more before feeling tired.

In high school I was 6 3" 210 now 235, a few months ago I had got up to 285 and felt it. I have know idea what will end up weighing, probably under 210, I'll know when it feels right i guess ?

Were not really off topic.......this is a big deal for many middle age people.........although I can't really call myself middle age unless I expect to live to 108. [:D]