I've got it bad...K-402 upgrade?

Dandoyen

I finally get a day off here! So I started reading... Just ordered new hertage line-up from factory about 6 weeks ago, and will have new khorns waiting for me (among others) when I get home. I've wanted these speakers forever, and chose them over the Jub as a way to connect with my father. He loved these growing up. Always used to tell me about them, and take me to Bjorn audio in san antonio (4 hr drive one way) as a kid just to listen. He'll be getting a pair from me for his 60th bday coming up (though he doesn't know it! ssshhhh). We both have perfect corners in our home so no issues there.

Well, never one to leave well enough alone, I've already started looking into upgrades for my unopend, NIB khorns. I'm seeing that the biggest "area of improvement" (i won't call khorns deficient) seems to be mid-range, especially in comparison to the Jubs (which I will own when living situation settles down and can guarantee their own room). In the meantime, I plan to enjoy (and maybe enhance) my khorns. So purely hypothetical at this point...who am I kiddin I always have to tweak [:)] I think I've finally found a place where people can understand that here!

Has anyone put the K-402 on the khorn bass bins? Does that eliminate need for tweeter? What other equipment would I need (crossovers) to make that a reality? Also researching some of Gregs horns on Volti audio (that Lavera is beautiful!). Understood I may be showing complete ignorance here and sure I'm missing some consideration, but just throwing options out and looking for some knowledge. That's why I'm here. Lay it on me!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer my own personal Khorns to my own personal Klipsch Jubilees. But that's just me.

The Lavera is beautiful, but very expensive, and I'm not sure better sounding, just different. I've put Lavera's on my Khorn bass horns and the sound is very similar to the V-Trac upgrade. In some ways the Lavera mids are even better than the V-Trac, but the dispersion of the higher-mid frequencies is not quite as good.

Greg

post-11090-1381966300031_thumb.jpg

Let me get this straight. You are getting new Klipschorns and they have not arrived yet. In spite of this, you are already considering upgrades. You are as bad as many of us so you are in good company.

Personally, I would listen to them for several months before you do anything. I have owned several Klipsch products and had K-Horns for about 10 years. Despite the nitpicking from others, I actually think Klipschorns sound quite good in their stock form. If you do go for the eventual modification, the midrange horn/driver is the usual candidate. If the K-402 horn is too large or expensive to integrate, then you might consisder its little brother the K-510. This is the one I use and I think it is quite good.

If you go with a non-Klispsch manufactured horn, I would recommend getting a CD horn (constant directivity: the off-axis and on-axis freq response is comparable - search the threads for more info). For various reasons I would shy away from horns made by the small manufacturers. There may be exceptions, but they typically have very little in the way of design, R&D and very few meaningful peformance data. Designing and building a horn is difficult and there are many ways to get it wrong.

In etiher case, enjoy or new purchase.

Another vote for enjoying what you have! Seems to me that the curve on bang for your buck starts getting really steep. Wouldn't adding 402's about double your initial investment? If you went that route, then just get Jubs from the get go. But I really think you're not giving Khorns enough credit.

And THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE ! Happy to hear you're coming home and to the excitement of a well deserved new system!

Has anyone put the K-402 on the khorn bass bins?

Rigma did as an experiment while he was fnishing his Jubilee bass bins. It looked a little weird. (as though the 402 looks any more at home on top of a LaScala!)

I was initially under the impression that it would leave a hole in the sound. I think someone else chimed in that the hole could be filled with some equalization to the point that you might not notice it.

Been looking for a while....finally found a picture of it

post-15072-1381966300111_thumb.jpg

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words [:)]

The K-402 is definitely in my future, but likely will just come w/ the Jubs. Jubs are definitely in my future (question of "when", not "if"), but that likely won't be until I move to next assignment. In my current assignment, I'm highly deployable. Will be gone again in Jan for another 6 month "vacation". While home, I will definitely enjoy the factory-direct sound of my Khorns. I wasn't knocking the stock sound but I'm always looking to improve. Plus, in my days off here between missions, there's not a whole lot to do, so I read (and what better material than this)? The notion just got the wheels turning so figured I'd get some input. It's great to hear the opinions on these, and I love to learn.

Main motivation behind midhorn swap (minus improved sound) is that I want to use the K-400s to build a CornScala pair for my upstairs office [:D], Greg, that V-trac is lookin better and better (I've been reading the "demo impressions" thread all day). Gonna have to find a way to demo that. You may be hearing from me very soon.

Thanks you for the input guys. As always, I'm coming away from this a little wiser, and WAY more excited to come home!

Also, Tony, will need those recommended EQ filters for the Danley soon if you'd be so kind. Kit is already waiting in garage [:)] Loving your avs thread btw.

Wow, you do have it bad. What are you running for source material and amplification? If you eventually go the modified HF/MF route then, you'll need the ability to do measurements and whatnot if you want to get it voiced right...which is why it's easier to find an off-the-shelf solution.

Although the K402, would put you a step closer to Jubs.

Just ordered new hertage line-up from factory about 6 weeks ago, and will have new khorns waiting for me (among others) when I get home. I've wanted these speakers forever, and chose them over the Jub as a way to connect with my father. He loved these growing up. Always used to tell me about them, and take me to Bjorn audio in san antonio (4 hr drive one way) as a kid just to listen. He'll be getting a pair from me for his 60th bday coming up (though he doesn't know it! ssshhhh).

As awesome as receiving a pair of Khorns will be for your father....the greatest gift you will ever give your father is a son who thinks like you..!

mike tn

Main motivation behind midhorn swap (minus improved sound) is that I want to use the K-400s to build a CornScala pair for my upstairs office Big Smile

My understanding is the CornScala is a mix of Cornwall bottom with the LaScala mids/highs.

Keep in mind you can do the same thing with the K510 and achieve two things:

1. Keep it a 2-way system

2. Keep the tonal balance so if/when you get some Khorns, you can perhaps use the same horn on a center channel speaker.

Food for thought

I finally get a day off here! So I started reading... Just ordered new hertage line-up from factory about 6 weeks ago, and will have new khorns waiting for me (among others) when I get home. I've wanted these speakers forever, and chose them over the Jub as a way to connect with my father. He loved these growing up. Always used to tell me about them, and take me to Bjorn audio in san antonio (4 hr drive one way) as a kid just to listen. He'll be getting a pair from me for his 60th bday coming up (though he doesn't know it! ssshhhh). We both have perfect corners in our home so no issues there.

Well, never one to leave well enough alone, I've already started looking into upgrades for my unopend, NIB khorns. I'm seeing that the biggest "area of improvement" (i won't call khorns deficient) seems to be mid-range, especially in comparison to the Jubs (which I will own when living situation settles down and can guarantee their own room). In the meantime, I plan to enjoy (and maybe enhance) my khorns. So purely hypothetical at this point...who am I kiddin I always have to tweak Smile I think I've finally found a place where people can understand that here!

Has anyone put the K-402 on the khorn bass bins? Does that eliminate need for tweeter? What other equipment would I need (crossovers) to make that a reality? Also researching some of Gregs horns on Volti audio (that Lavera is beautiful!). Understood I may be showing complete ignorance here and sure I'm missing some consideration, but just throwing options out and looking for some knowledge. That's why I'm here. Lay it on me!

You have got it bad, enjoy the journey.

Dave

dandoyen,

First I'd just want to say thank you for your service to the nation. AND it is a very cool thing you are doing for your Dad's BD.

You can get some great advice on the forum for how to fine tune your system. I'd suggest first just enjoy the Khorns for a season then start modding to your heart's delight. For my own pref, I'd want to work on a pair of jubes apart from upgrading the Khorns.

Enjoy.

Wow, you do have it bad. What are you running for source material and amplification? If you eventually go the modified HF/MF route then, you'll need the ability to do measurements and whatnot if you want to get it voiced right...which is why it's easier to find an off-the-shelf solution.

Although the K402, would put you a step closer to Jubs.

set up in my sys profile (but short version here):

Current Source Material: Stanton ST-150 TT (Stage 1 Mod from Mapleshade) and Cambridge Audio 751BD (SACD, DVD-A)

Amplification: Levinson No433 (before you shoot me for going SS [;)], I've heard it w/ the Khorn/LS2 combo and was floored - plenty warm sound).

Outlaw 7500 amping surrounds/rears (cornscala/heresy IIIs). Already have the amp (was used in old KLF-30 HT) and heresy's, just waiting to get back to demo/pick up cornscalas (w/ Dave's fastrac midhorn!). Seller is holding them for me about 4 hrs from where I live. Should be a fun road-trip.

*Note: I've also got an MC275...mixing, matching, demoing will be going on into the late hours the day I return. If that wins, then Levinson/outlaw combo will go and I'll pick up another couple 275s.

Pre/pro...well, TBD at this point. Will be demoing as well. Right now looks like front-runner candidates are Anthem D2V (room correction said to be unbelievable), and Arcam FMJ av888. A great friend, whose ear I trust, actually uses his D2V as stereo preamp and won't shut up about the phono pre-stage. Says it's flawless for his horn-loaded 2 channel. Although I trust him, I will be demoing in my set-up, but that has me all sorts of excited, and increasingly impatient!!

If you go with a non-Klispsch manufactured horn, I would recommend getting a CD horn (constant directivity: the off-axis and on-axis freq response is comparable - search the threads for more info). For various reasons I would shy away from horns made by the small manufacturers.

I agree, far better to go with a horn built by a 12 year old girl in Taiwaan.

Craig.

If you go with a non-Klispsch manufactured horn, I would recommend getting a CD horn (constant directivity: the off-axis and on-axis freq response is comparable - search the threads for more info). For various reasons I would shy away from horns made by the small manufacturers.

I agree, far better to go with a horn built by a 12 year old girl in Taiwaan.

Craig.

Craig: Does this same 12 yo also do the research, design and measurement? Or do they do it like the others and simply not bother?

I doubt the small manufacturers typically have the resources and personnel to do the design and measurement. Do you think they do or is design not considered to be relevant?

I doubt the small manufacturers typically have the resources and personnel to do the design and measurement.

Have you ever given the small manufacturers horns a chance? My guess is no!

I have tried Trachorns, Fastrac's, Volti Horns, and all of them sounded excellent.

Seems all you are concernd with is constant directivity. I hope you have alot of traps for the reflections.

Craig...