Why vinyl?

SonicSeeker

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm not saying that music isn't discussed, and I realize that for all of us it's a mix of music and gear. But my comment that got bolded and disagreed with was " The actual music is mentioned on this site a very small percentage of the time." I Know about the "Right This Minute" thread, but that hasn't been posted to since Sunday and it's now Thursday.

Dennie - Your sig isn't "Give Me Jazz or Give Me Death" or "I Love Heavy Metal Drummers" You got 17 pieces of gear listed on your sig. I'm just sayin'

Wow! We are on two different sites! seeingstars.gif

...and my signature line? I have to have something to listen to the music with, Right? shrug.gif

I can't understand how someone dosen't think it's about the music, for me?!?!

Have you looked at the RTM thread, in the last few YEARS? helpsos.gif

Dennie [:$]

Yeah, I'm not saying that music isn't discussed, and I realize that for all of us it's a mix of music and gear. But my comment that got bolded and disagreed with was " The actual music is mentioned on this site a very small percentage of the time." I Know about the "Right This Minute" thread, but that hasn't been posted to since Sunday and it's now Thursday.

Dennie - Your sig isn't "Give Me Jazz or Give Me Death" or "I Love Heavy Metal Drummers" You got 17 pieces of gear listed on your sig. I'm just sayin'

...and my signature line? I have to have something to listen to the music with, Right? shrug.gif

Dennie Embarrassed

OK, so I looked at the RTM thread again and there are lots of posts since Sunday. I think my browser loads what's in the cache or something because on some pages I need to hit refresh. Quick calculation shows over 50 posts / day...about music.

Dennie - I clicked on your name and clicked find posts by - Probably 99 / 100 of your posts are in the RTM thread.

[+o(] < --- That's the "Ick" smiley, but it's the closest thing I could find to a "Eating Crow" smiley.

If you need me I'll be in the RTM thread reading about music

Any obssesion with equipment that I have is the result of wanting to get it the hell out of the way of the music!

Do I like gadgets and purty shiny equipment? Yep! Do I like to learn about it? Yep!

Has this site and the people here introduced me to tons of music of music I never thought I would listen to much less like yet I've come to love it because I now have the quality of sound that lets me enjoy it? YEP!

Will I listen to a horrible recording that I love (and is the only version in existance) and enjoy it on good equipment? YEP!

Anyway, what else do we have to do while gazing fondly at our glowing tubes, flashing LEDs, or beautiful wood finish but listen to some music?

Dennie Embarrassed

OK, so I looked at the RTM thread again and there are lots of posts since Sunday. I think my browser loads what's in the cache or something because on some pages I need to hit refresh. Quick calculation shows over 50 posts / day...about music.

Dennie - I clicked on your name and clicked find posts by - Probably 99 / 100 of your posts are in the RTM thread.

Ick! < --- That's the "Ick" smiley, but it's the closest thing I could find to a "Eating Crow" smiley.

welcomeconfetti.gifcheerleaderkid.gif

Dennie [;)]

I was researching Reel To Reel modifications and came across this interview by Tim
de Paravicini. Click here. He is slamming the digital industry standards more than the format itself. It seems digital is being stiffled and not allowed to reach its full potential.

*excerpt*

Digital has a
"sound" purely because it is based on lousy mathematics. The manufacturers
presuppose too simplistic a view of our hearing mechanism.

But
manufacturers don't want to change - it's the lowest-common-denominator syndrome. It's
like 525-line television, which allows you only X amount of resolution. With digital,
you've fixed your resolution parameters, where analog never had that problem.

I
still do work on the vinyl record; it still can be advanced. The number of vinyl molecules
passing the needle every second is equivalent to half a gigahertz. So there ain't a lot
wrong with it, fundamentally. You can carry on improving it without losing compatibility.
It's like good old 35-mm films - you carry on improving films, but there's nothing to stop
you from shoving them through the same old projectors!

I've
been pioneering work on a CD player that runs at 88k, but it only works with CDs that were
cut at 88k.

Pretty interesting...I was especially taken with:

"I don't have to use tubes in my designs; I only do it
for marketing reasons. I've got an exact equivalent in solid state. I can make
either type do the same job, and I have no preference. People can't pick which
is which. And electrons have no memory of where they've been! The end result is
what counts."

Of course, his CD player design was realized in SACD...though the low end remained 20hz.

Also, though I've not heard the Ry Cooder CD referenced, I have a copy of "Jazz" that I consider one of the best LP's I've ever heard. While the engineer for the CD discussed is undoubtably excellent, I suspect the force behind the quality was Ry Cooder himself.

Dave

Pretty interesting...I was especially taken with:

"I don't have to use tubes in my designs; I only do it
for marketing reasons. I've got an exact equivalent in solid state. I can make
either type do the same job, and I have no preference. People can't pick which
is which. And electrons have no memory of where they've been! The end result is
what counts."

Of course, his CD player design was realized in SACD...though the low end remained 20hz.

Also, though I've not heard the Ry Cooder CD referenced, I have a copy of "Jazz" that I consider one of the best LP's I've ever heard. While the engineer for the CD discussed is undoubtably excellent, I suspect the force behind the quality was Ry Cooder himself.

Dave

I would love to hear one of his designs as tube and solid. He said there is no difference but I'd love to hear both.

It is too bad digital can't be taken to its highest potential. How annoying!

Dennie Embarrassed

Ick! < --- That's the "Ick" smiley, but it's the closest thing I could find to a "Eating Crow" smiley.

welcomeconfetti.gifcheerleaderkid.gif

Dennie Wink

Dennie, you are so very diplomatic... thumbs up....

[co] Wow, I am gone a few days & come back to find one of these great threads about vinyl & even more interrestinly a show case of the beauty & diversity of this forum. Sebrof & Denney (love ya both) what a great example of opposite approaches to the same expression, ending in a harmony of understanding - beautiful. To all the poster on the 13th page thanks that made my day.

Now if I could just find a volume control for my tinnitus, I might share & opinion on the vinyl issue [;)]

Computer Wow, I am gone a few days & come back to find one of these great threads about vinyl & even more interrestinly a show case of the beauty & diversity of this forum. Sebrof & Denney (love ya both) what a great example of opposite approaches to the same expression, ending in a harmony of understanding - beautiful. Beer To all the poster on the 13th page thanks that made my day.

Now if I could just find a volume control for my tinnitus, I might share & opinion on the vinyl issue Wink

Hey Cornman and Boxx, Good to see you and, as you know, things can happen in a split second on a "Forum"! I've seen "things" hit the fan, over a typo. scratchheadyellow.gif

I received a very nice P.M. from "Sebrof" and I guess I should leave it private. But I did want to say this....

In the last 10(ish) years, I have and still belong to a few different "Audio/Video" forums. I post on a couple of them fairly regularly, but I call this one home.

You see, with the "other" forums, they are general audio/video/HT type places and people own many different types of speakers and gear. Here, we all have one thing in common, we have owned, do own, or want to own Klipsch Speakers and we feel strongly about our choice.

Because of that fact, there is a "Brotherhood" and we become part of the family. Like it or not...seeingstars.gifrolling.gif

Now, all "families" have there characters. Crazy Uncle Bob, Stoner Cousin Joe, Blind Aunt Millie, Slutty Sister Sue and so on. Sure they are different, BUT.... they are family, so we have to give them a chance. I find most "family members" want the same things that I do... Good Music ( [;)] ) Peace, Love, Happiness, all that good $hit. If I give them a chance, I'll probably learn something from them, or they may possibly learn something from me and possibly enrich both of our lives. They are family, so they are worth my time.

I'm not saying Sebrof is any of those things, "Crazy, Stoned, Blind or Slutty" (I'm still not sure, but I'll report back), but no matter what, I knew he was family and worth my time. I think we both learned some things and made new "friends" on the forum.

Good Stuff! drinkingcheers.gif

Now, about the tinnitus, I've heard that if you switch back to Solid-State gear, it will just blend in!!! lol.gif

Dennie.... whistle.gif

Computer Wow, I am gone a few days & come back to find one of these great threads about vinyl & even more interrestinly a show case of the beauty & diversity of this forum. Sebrof & Denney (love ya both) what a great example of opposite approaches to the same expression, ending in a harmony of understanding - beautiful. Beer To all the poster on the 13th page thanks that made my day.

Now if I could just find a volume control for my tinnitus, I might share & opinion on the vinyl issue Wink

Hey Cornman and Boxx, Good to see you and, as you know, things can happen in a split second on a "Forum"! I've seen "things" hit the fan, over a typo. scratchheadyellow.gif

I received a very nice P.M. from "Sebrof" and I guess I should leave it private. But I did want to say this....

In the last 10(ish) years, I have and still belong to a few different "Audio/Video" forums. I post on a couple of them fairly regularly, but I call this one home.

You see, with the "other" forums, they are general audio/video/HT type places and people own many different types of speakers and gear. Here, we all have one thing in common, we have owned, do own, or want to own Klipsch Speakers and we feel strongly about our choice.

Because of that fact, there is a "Brotherhood" and we become part of the family. Like it or not...seeingstars.gifrolling.gif

Now, all "families" have there characters. Crazy Uncle Bob, Stoner Cousin Joe, Blind Aunt Millie, Slutty Sister Sue and so on. Sure they are different, BUT.... they are family, so we have to give them a chance. I find most "family members" want the same things that I do... Good Music ( Wink ) Peace, Love, Happiness, all that good $hit. If I give them a chance, I'll probably learn something from them, or they may possibly learn something from me and possibly enrich both of our lives. They are family, so they are worth my time.

I'm not saying Sebrof is any of those things, "Crazy, Stoned, Blind or Slutty" (I'm still not sure, but I'll report back), but no matter what, I knew he was family and worth my time. I think we both learned some things and made new "friends" on the forum.

Good Stuff! drinkingcheers.gif

Now, about the tinnitus, I've heard that if you switch back to Solid-State gear, it will just blend in!!! lol.gif

Dennie.... whistle.gif

Tinnitus... It's only there when you notice it.... lol...

Dennie.... whistle.gif

You dog Dennie, I should have known you had another motive when you gave away those Baldwin tubes for "FREE"

Good to see you feeling well Dennie. By the way Serbrof is the cat I purchased the Khorns from & is a Music lover & Audiophile as well in my book,,, gees the man built his own amp from scratch (no kit). Looking forward to hearing your system again Sebrof & the K.H were a great deal, thanks again.

Value indeed Boxx. We are lucky here in Austin to have several used vinyl retailers. I have found new still sealed vinly for a buck. Really great for comparrison when you already have the same album on cd.

Dude you have some of the best record stores in the nation. Backspin and End Of An Ear are my faves. I rarely leave Austin without spending a couple hundred dollars on vinyl.

Seti, next time your at "End of an Ear", walk north about 80yd's for the best salsa & beef enchiladas in town - "Little Mexico". Perfect end to a great day of vinyl mining.

I'll give it a try. I was thinking I could easily live in Austin. This summer sorta scared that out of me. How many days of a 100 or higher did you have? Ya'll must be crispy critters.

Dennie.... whistle.gif

You dog Dennie, I should have known you had another motive when you gave away those Baldwin tubes for "FREE"

Good to see you feeling well Dennie. By the way Serbrof is the cat I purchased the Khorns from & is a Music lover & Audiophile as well in my book,,, gees the man built his own amp from scratch (no kit). Looking forward to hearing your system again Sebrof & the K.H were a great deal, thanks again.

Anytime Cornman, and if I'm ever "down south" I'll be sure to give you a heads up.