Your opinions, please...

cheric

I have an opportunity to purchase a Harman Kardon AVR-525 and/or a Denon AVR-3805 at $225.00/each, in mint condition. I don't know which one is a better choice. If it were you, which one would you take? And, is it a fair price? Thanks for your feedbacks in advance.

From the Manufacturer (HK)

Thanks to the latest surround technology such as Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, and our own Logic 7 processing, in addition to a seven-channel, high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amplifier, the AVR 525 doesn't miss a beat. Make your program selections from a vast array of digital, analog, and wide-bandwidth component video inputs, manage the bass with our Triple Crossover system, and extend the music to a second zone with A-BUS Ready technology or assignable rear-channel amplifiers. Wherever you want your music and movies, however loud you want them, the AVR 525 can handle the job.

Features:

• Audio
  • Stereo Mode Continuous Average Power (FTC) Per Channel : 85 Watts per channel at <0.07% THD, 20Hz – 20kHz, both channels driven into 8 Ohms
  • Seven-Channel Surround Modes, Power Per Individual Channel: Front L & R Channels-- 70 Watts per channel at <0.07% THD, 20Hz – 20kHz into 8 Ohms; Center Channel-- 70 Watts at <0.07% THD, 20Hz – 20kHz into 8 Ohms; Surround Channels (L & R Side, L & R Back)-- 70 Watts per channel at <0.07% THD, 20Hz – 20kHz into 8 Ohms
  • Input Sensitivity/Impedance Linear (High-Level): 200mV/47k Ohms
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF-A): 95dB
  • Surround System Adjacent Channel Separation: Dolby Pro Logic I and II--40dB; Dolby Digital--55dB; DTS--55dB
  • Frequency Response at 1W (+0dB,–3dB): 10Hz – 100kHz
  • High Instantaneous Current Capability (HCC): ±45 Amps
  • Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM): Unmeasurable
  • Slew Rat : 40V/µsec
  • FM Tuner

• Frequency Range: 87.5 – 108.0MHz
  • Usable Sensitivity: IHF 1.3µV/13.2dBf
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: Mono/Stereo 70dB/68dB
  • Distortion: Mono/Stereo 0.2%/0.3%
  • Stereo Separation: 40dB @ 1kHz
  • Selectivity: ±400kHz 70dB
  • Image Rejection: 80dB
  • IF Rejection: 90dB
  • AM Tuner

• Frequency Range: 520 – 1710kHz
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 45dB
  • Usable Sensitivity: Loop 500µV
  • Distortion: 1kHz, 50% Mod. 0.8%
  • Selectivity: ±10kHz, 30dB
  • Video

• Television Format: NTSC
  • Input Level/Impedance: 1Vp-p/75 Ohms
  • Output Level/Impedance: 1Vp-p/75 Ohms
  • Video Frequency Response
  • Composite and S-Video: 10Hz – 8MHz(–3dB)
  • Component Video: 10Hz – 50MHz(–3dB)
  • General

• Power Requirement: 120V AC/60Hz
  • Power Consumption: 120W @ idle, 1,040W @ rated output (7 channels driven)
  • Width: 17.3" (440mm) x Height : 6.5" (165mm) x Depth : 17.1" (435mm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Description (Denon)

Thanks to the latest surround technology such as Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES and harman/kardon's own Logic 7 processing, in addition to a seven-channel, high-current, ultra wide-bandwidth amplifier, the AVR 525 doesn't miss a beat. Make your program selections from a vast array of digital, analog and wide-bandwidth component video inputs, manage the bass with harman/kardon's Triple Crossover system, and extend the music to a second zone with A-BUS Ready technology or assignable rear-channel amplifiers. Wherever you want your music and movies, however loud you want them, the AVR 525 can handle the job.
Product Description
Denon's ultimate-performance 7.1-channel AVR-3805 surround receiver is a high-quality, high-value receiver that's loaded with sound-enhancing and image-preserving features, including the finest digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital converters. The receiver provides 7 channels of amplification (120 watts per channel, 8 ohms, 20 to 20,000 Hz, with less than 0.05 percent THD) to drive all the main loudspeakers in a 7.1 home theater surround system. Ensuring high power and stability, the component employs a huge power transformer and an oversized block capacitor.

Of course, you get full compatibility with all the latest advanced audio formats, including 7.1-channel surround decoding of, among other formats, Dolby Digital Surround EX, DTS, DTS 96/24 5.1 for DVD-Video, DTS ES Discrete 6/1, DTS ES Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo: 6 Cinema & Music modes, and Dolby Pro Logic II/IIx (for cinema, music and games). Dolby Pro Logic IIx is the first technology to offer a choice of processing traditional stereo music and movie content into either 6.1- or 7.1-channel signals.

The AVR-3805 marks the debut of a significant Denon feature: Auto Set-Up calibration and Room EQ, making it easier to tailor the performance of the receiver for your specific home theater or music-listening environment. The AVR-3805 analyzes and calibrates 6 critically important speaker settings: connection, phase, size, channel level, time delay, and frequency response.

A feature called Room EQ corrects frequency response with an 8-band parametric equalizer and adjusts to the optimum soundfield, compensating for speaker and room capability issues. Auto Set-Up calibration and Room EQ requires the use of an optional microphone, either Denon's own DMS-305 or another compatible mic. You can disable both the EQ and Auto Set-Up features if you prefer calibrating the receiver in the traditional manner.

The AVR-3805 owes a big part of its great sound quality to its premium digital-audio technologies, such as Analog Devices SHARC 32-bit floating-point DSP processing and Denon's proprietary advanced DDSC-D (Dynamic Discrete Surround Decoder-Digital) circuitry.

The AVR-3805 features 3 assignable sets of component-video inputs and one set of monitor inputs (all with high-definition-compatible 100 MHz bandwidth). Simplifying video connectivity and switching among its 7 (each) composite- and S-video inputs, the AVR-3805 includes video up-conversion that converts composite- and/or S-video sources to component-video without compromising video quality, greatly simplifying your connections between the receiver and your television.

The receiver offers 10 audio inputs plus a tuner with 56 presets, including a phono input for your turntable. Denon's "power amp assigned" function provides a fully-powered, discrete 2-channel second zone, and the receiver lets you send a fixed-level audio output to a third zone, as well.

Like the company's flagship AVR-5803 receiver, the AVR-3805 also features the latest Denon Link 3, which allows the receiver to receive high-resolution, multichannel digital audio data directly from the Denon DVD-5900 and DVD-9000 DVD players (and future Denon products) for the ultimate level of sonic performance. Denon Link 3 is compatible with all previously released Denon Link products, but is now ready to accept digital SACD data from future Denon source units, if and when formal approval is granted. The AVR-3805 also has an RS-232 serial port for external controllers.

Denon's sleekly contoured programmable EL (Electro-Luminescence) remote control lets you command even the most sophisticated home entertainment systems from a single intuitive device.

What's in the Box
Receiver, remote control, remote batteries, an AM loop antenna, an indoor FM antenna, an AC power cord, a warranty card, a service-center list, and a user's manual.

Product Description

This product has been Factory refurbished to perform as new. It comes with Denon USA 90-Day Parts & Labor Warranty. DENON AVR-3805 -- High-end home theater savvy, beefy 7-channel power, and impeccable construction meet in Denon's remarkable AVR-3805. The sound is powerful, pristine, and totally enveloping, thanks to 120 watts x 7 channels of Denon's high-current amplification. 5/6/7 Channel stereo modes New DDSC-Digital EX featuring Analog Devices Melody 100 32-bit DSP processor 24-bit, 192kHz A/D on all stereo analog inputs Sixteen Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192kHz DACs AL24 Processing Plug on all channels Speaker Selector Assignable, Ultra Wideband (100MHz) Component Video switching (3 inputs / 1 output) Video Conversion (Composite to S-Video to Component) Discrete Multi-room, multi-source A/V outputs 7 assignable digital inputs & 2 digital outputs New EL learning / pre-programmed Remote Control Detachable Power Cord

The HK would be my choice.Both of those are very old and outdated, you can get a newer unit just as good only better.Those are/were two good units back in the day but I sold my HK 630(new version of 525) for $250 many years ago.Do you have no need for hdmi, dts master audio etc through one cable? If not either of those units are worth $150 - 200, if you're gonna spend 225 just spend $300 and get it all.

• Moderators

The HK would be my choice.Both of those are very old and outdated, you can get a newer unit just as good only better.Those are/were two good units back in the day but I sold my HK 630(new version of 525) for $250 many years ago.Do you have no need for hdmi, dts master audio etc through one cable? If not either of those units are worth $150 - 200, if you're gonna spend 225 just spend $300 and get it all.

What he said. [Y]

Those things are important if you plan on using a BR player.

I prefer to run the video from the source to the TV directly and the sound through the receiver. For that reason, HDMI is only good for video, for me. Besides that, I use the receiver mostly for music than movies (85/15). I have always like the warmth sound of the Denon but there is something about the HK that makes me want it too. Decision, decision....

I would sure hope they aren't at the end of their life. Even if they are, you can have them serviced and in "like new" condition for $100-300.00. Get a quality unit (either of the 2 listed) and take care of it. You won't regret it.

I was thinking of the same thing. These units are about 7-8 years old, I sure hope they are not at the end of their life yet. I know they are not the latest in technology but for music and occasional movies, they should do fine at least.

As far as new/used price goes it's a toss up.

Audiogon.com Blue book has the Harman Kardon AVR-525 1199.00 New and used Avg. 470.00

The Denon AVR-3805 1199.00 new used avg 430.00

You say your most interested in 2CH I found a TAD-60 tube amp on Craig's list for 500.00 and it came with a pair of book shelf speakers wire and a pair of King Cobra inter connects.Some thing like this would be a way better choice. IMHO