Stereo receiver

JasonJCarney

I'm looking for an inexpensive stereo receiver with preouts and remote volume control. Can anyone reccomended one for $300 or less? I was looking at the onkyo tx8555 for $200 but im not tied to any product yet. I'm willing to go used as well and I would go separate as well because I have a 2 channel amp that I'm not using right now.

Jason,

While I am racking my brain trying to suggest a good inexpensive 2-channel receiver, these B&K preamp/tuners are very musical. I have the PT-3II with remote and it performs flawlessly and sounds fantastic. Any older NAD avr(non HDMI) are very musical in 2-channel.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1324703972&/B-K-PT5-Stereo-Preamp-w/-Remot

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1323014679&/B-K-PT-3-mk-II-B-K-Preamp-Tune

Bill

Surprised your not shopping for a generator considering our "current state of Global Warning" ? My own expierence, there is nothing like being warm, eating cooked food, and not worrrying about potential loss of food in the Refrigs & Freezer. Plus the perk of watching or listening to whatever, and even can surf the Internet as well. Of course, I still require some serious tree work.

Neighbors seemed more socialable.

Let me know what you decide on the two channel, I am considering taking my kitchen ceiling speakers and put them on their own seperate receiver. Have four in-ceiling Klipsch speakers I added when renovated. Don't think I need musch more than approxiametly 50 or less watts. Warm sound, energy senstive with treble/Bass and balance adjustement. Probably one input to tie it into my Squeezebox network would be a plus (CD, or other input would serve that duty just fine.

Regards, Jeff

If you could stretch your budget a bit:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKA9555BLK/Onkyo-A-9555-Integrated-Digital-Amplifier-Black/1.html

I love mine, everything about it. Tons of power (more than I could ever need); excellent detail; nice, tight bass. Great remote (small thing, but still).

I've never seen a poor review on this piece, kinda what sold me on it. I've run every speaker in my signature on it, all sounded great.

Let us know what you decide.

I recently ordered a Sherwood Newcastle 773. No preouts but actually has 2 stereo amps inside independant of each other so it is rated a 100x4 for what that is worth. It also has an rf remote which will be good for a 2nd zone. I will actually run a gameroom(zone 2) and patio(zone 3). off of it. UPS tracking still has it about 3 days from delivery. I found mine for $140 as an open box, I've seen several under $300.

Jason,

What will you be driving with this receiver/preamp-amp combo?

This here Denon integrated does not have preouts but I have been enjoying mine for almost two years driving my Fortes, Quartets, RB-5's, Heresy's. Very punchy and neutral sounding. Does have remote.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/ele/2674900935.html

Bill

This stereo will be for my living room TV and ipod listening. Im not looking for surround in my livingroom since I would only watch movies in the home theatre. All I need and want is improved TV sound (sports mostly) and my wife want to be able to plug her ipod in and listen. I want the remote because I don't want to get up and down all the time changing the volume during commercials and the like. What speakers I will be driving is up in the air still. I currently have an RC-3 being driven by an old 2 channel amp (1 channel for the tweet and 1 for the drivers). It sounds ok but no remote so it has to go. I am looking for 2 bookshelf speakers or maybe 1 or 2 center channels (for size). I don't need more than say 50 watts honestly. I need a sub preout for sure as I will be adding a small sub and I was hoping for stereo preouts as it would be a more versitile piece should I ever want to use it somewhere else in the house.

My budget is low because I just don't feel like I NEED to spend big money on this piece. All my movie watching is in my dedicated home theatre and that sound great. This being just for TV and a little ipod music just doesnt require top quality equipment.

As for the generator.... I only lost power for 24 hours. The first time in 7 years. It is a concern but one that I will address in a couple weeks or so when the "craze" is over.

well not that im tied to these but here are the couple I was looking at. I was initially just looking at a "stereo" receiver but the HT version is so similar pricepoint wise it makes me wonder if I am missing something. Any input?

1. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8555/Onkyo-TX-8555-100-watts-2-channel-Stereo-Receiver/1.html

2. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR509/Onkyo-TX-NR509-5.1-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html#!specifications

More HK hype - the 3380 model (80 watts x 2) has been selling on ebay for $50-100 before shipping. Has left and right preouts with a sub preout. None for sale currently.

In bookshelves look for something in the KG line.

That is intresting. everything im looking for at a super cheap price... if one was available anyway,.

It sounds to me like you are looking for an entry level 5.1 channel receiver with iPod connectivity. The Onkyo 509 for $200.00 is a really good choice in that regard. HDMI, front USB for iPod doc, discrete playback for 1, 2, or 3 channels and a sub, Audyssey room correction and a great price. Should be great for casual use and provide plenty of usage flexability.

Well I decided to order the Onkyo tx nr509 today. It was $210. I was given advice in another thread that for my purpose I should go 3 bookshelf speakers across the front and to do that I needed the HT receiver. I was going to order the onkyo tx8555 which is a stereo receiver but for only an ectra $10 I get the extra channels and the preouts and networking. My plan was to get apple TV and for the wife to be able to airplay her iphone right to this. For now I think I'll have her use the head phone jack to rca cable I have and wait on the apple tv until I can figure out what speakers to go with. Due to size constraints I can't go any hight than 12 inches or wider than 47.5 inches. That kinda leabes me with the 4 inch or 5.5 inch bookshlefs like rb10/rb41 or rb51's ect. I thought about running two center channel speakers but was talked out of it. For now I have a couple HD300's and an RC-3 to use but that won't be the end of it. I thought about wf-14's as well but since I have never heard them I can't say if I will like them compared to the reference line.

How about a good quality vintage stereo without remote and a long stick with a rubber tip on the end?Stick out tongue

Yeah, I've got one of those w/o the stick currently. I must say, it is way more difficult than I thought it would be to go remoteless. I'll be adding a DAC w/ remote at some point before I end up straining myself. It's amazing how many songs in my iTunes I don't want to hear.

The Sherwood Newcastle arrived today, brand new in the box at $140. Pretty nice line of features. Zone 1 & 2 with a seperate amp for both zones allowing independent volume control, rf LCD remote, bluetooth, phono input and pre-outs. Stereo only and can be stacked with like units for more zones. I need to run the wires, hopefully operational by next weekend.

No stick with rubber tip!