La Scala 11, does it need a supertweeter?

seagull

Well guys sorry to bother you, but I've just now this last hour, changed my speaker wires in a upward direction.

Behold all that top end sparkle I thought I had been missing has Arrived.

Ahhhh really happy man

Sorry to raise a silly issue

you mean you changed all your horizontally running wires to vertically running?

Well guys sorry to bother you, but I've just now this last hour, changed my speaker wires in a upward direction.
Behold all that top end sparkle I thought I had been missing has Arrived.
Ahhhh really happy man

Sorry to raise a silly issue

I've always wondered about this..... scratchheadyellow.gif

If I run them diagonally, will it boost the mid-range? shrug.gif

In all seriousness, if you have a speaker out of phase, it will change everything! I'm glad you have it figured out now and are enjoying your beautiful speakers!

Dennie

Recently I've been listening to 1950's full range drivers. What has confused me is what they do right and still sound good without an exteneded top end. I mean I really enjoy these speakers.. Weird..... I was reminded of what PWK said about living in the midrange. Personally I don't need tweeters into the bat slaying territory even though the bragging rights and extreme range is cool. I have pretty good hearing out to 19khz but to me anything over that seems lost.. Not to go on a tangent BUT what if your HF hearing was down many db. If you compensated by goosing the highs on such a tweeter I could see that as beneficial.

Well guys sorry to bother you, but I've just now this last hour, changed my speaker wires in a upward direction. Behold all that top end sparkle I thought I had been missing has Arrived. Ahhhh really happy man Sorry to raise a silly issue

I took it as "upward" = upgraded. Could be wrong however.

I came to term with my speakers and my ears when two things happened in my life:

1. I bought a 31-band EQ

2. I took a trip to Danley Sound Labs

The first taught me that there are certain ranges of frequency that I simply don't need to lust after. The 20K slider is useless, and the 16K slider doesn't do much within respectable amounts whether I'm listening to my speakers or my studio headphones. If you can hear that stuff great....but I found out I couldn't, and it has saved me money and frustration in the process. The second taught me that of what little needs to be improved upon the
La Scala, cannot be accomplished within the design contstraints of the
La Scala.

Recently I've been listening to 1950's full range drivers. What has confused me is what they do right and still sound good without an exteneded top end. I mean I really enjoy these speakers.. Weird..... I was reminded of what PWK said about living in the midrange. Personally I don't need tweeters into the bat slaying territory even though the bragging rights and extreme range is cool. I have pretty good hearing out to 19khz but to me anything over that seems lost.. Not to go on a tangent BUT what if your HF hearing was down many db. If you compensated by goosing the highs on such a tweeter I could see that as beneficial.

Even if you couldn't hear it?

Dennie

I'm over fifty and my hearing in the HF range is likely no better than anyone else's of my age, but when I punched in the 18kHz boost that Roy recommended for the Jubilee/JubScala Dx38 settings, over the original settings, the difference was obvious.

In particular, cymbals sound much more realistic.

BTW, Klipsch makes the La Scala II. There is no La Scala 11. Not for some time to come, anyway. [8-|]

I'm over fifty and my hearing in the HF range is likely no better than anyone else's of my age, but when I punched in the 18kHz boost that Roy recommended for the Jubilee/JubScala Dx38 settings, over the original settings, the difference was obvious.

In particular, cymbals sound much more realistic.

Thanks Pat, that gives me hope! [Y]

Dennie

I came to term with my speakers and my ears when two things happened in my life:

1. I bought a 31-band EQ

2. I took a trip to Danley Sound Labs

The first taught me that there are certain ranges of frequency that I simply don't need to lust after. The 20K slider is useless, and the 16K slider doesn't do much within respectable amounts whether I'm listening to my speakers or my studio headphones. If you can hear that stuff great....but I found out I couldn't, and it has saved me money and frustration in the process. The second taught me that of what little needs to be improved upon the La Scala, cannot be accomplished within the design contstraints of the La Scala.

If I'm too far off topic, please respond in a PM. But I too have visited DSL and am curious to hear you expand on your impressions comparing the LaScala to the Synergy horns you heard? I left my demo session feeling like I had nothing to lust over...

Dennie

Sure kinda like bats... lol

No I know someone who doesn't use a super tweeter but does have the top end boosted so he can hear more of the highs. It sounds really hot to me but natural to him.

Dennie

Sure kinda like bats... lol

No I know someone who doesn't use a super tweeter but does have the top end boosted so he can hear more of the highs. It sounds really hot to me but natural to him.

I was thinking of comparing it like the low end, I can't hear anything below 20hz, but I can feel it. I wonder if high freqs. are like that?

Anyone?

Dennie shrug.gif

I left my demo session feeling like I had nothing to lust over...

I also visited there, had same conclusion. Sounded nice & all that good stuff. The big (big big) subs that they had playing were outstanding in that even the hairs on my arms were vibrating (and I was loving it)

The sub under the couch did NOT work for me at all, thumbs down.