Shipping a pair

Rivernuggets

I just got off the phone with Yellow Freight (YRC) with a quote for sending a KG 5.5 pair on a pallet to my brother in Los Angeles. $531.45, yuck.

The quote involved packing the speakers myself with a pallet I picked up locally, bringing them to a YRC hub close to my house. My brother is 20 minutes from another hub in LA and he would pick them up.

Well there's no way I'm shipping for that much. I'd be better off selling these 5.5s, sending him the money, and he can pounce on a Craigslist/Ebay local sale.

UPS would be about $240. That's with them both in one box. Might be cheaper shipping seperately.

Any ideas on shipping? Or should I just send him the money after they sell?

Any ideas on shipping? Or should I just send him the money after they sell?

looks like a common speaker to buy used and the ratio between used buy price and ship costs doesn't really have an incentive to ship. Sell them and send the money. Different story if you were talking LaScalas which have a new price of 6000 bucks and a used price of 600 bucks with a cost to ship of 350. You will still be ahead 5 grand.

Call Greyhound............ Terminals in most cities. They really care about what is shipped on their busses. I have used them many times and the rates are the cheapest. Remember, there is NO loading dock to deal with, as the bottom of the bus is 8 inches off the road. They will even help you get them out of your vehicle and into the terminal for shipping . I have shipped La Scalas, Cornwalls and Heresy's. Minimal packageing is required as they are all handled by people that care. On the receiving end they will also help load onto your vehicle. Best service I have used, for mid sized speakers, bar none...! Give them a call, you might like it....

W. C.

Craters and Freighters has franchises all over the country. They pick up the items at your location, take them back to the warehouse for packing, and ship for you. I've used them to ship everything from large heavy speakers and 1930s console radios to vintage communications receivers. They have always packed to survive an airplane drop and everything has arrived in perfect condition. Rates have always been reasonable.

http://www.cratersandfreighters.com/

+1 for C&F they do a nice job and are very reasonable, but I have only used them to ship furniture with a blanket wrap. I had some speakers shipped by another company that were much larger than KG 5.5's and it was just under 500.00. This included 7 or 8 layers of protection and with the pallet and packing materials weighed close to 400lbs. I am sure you can get a much better quote. If you pack them yourself you will save alot. A great material to use are 4x8 sheets of construction insulation. Good Luck

I have had good luck using FedEx ground. Shipped a pair of heavy annoy studio monitors from Ohio to California for around $100. If your speakers fit, a great box to use is the "china" box from U-haul. I is very stout, big and tall enough for most speakers (I am not talking about Cornwall on up), and about $6.00. I bet a 5.5 would fit with room for lots of bubble wrap.