Will a McIntosh MA6100 really make a difference?

Kayo

Hey team. I was fortunate to pick up a pair of mint Forte's about 4 months ago. OMG, the upgrade vs. my Heresy's is incredible! But now, I'm wondering if it's worth the trip to buy a MA6100 to replace my Denon. Will the McIntosh make a material sound difference or will my old ears even notice the change. BTW, Bob Crites reworked the crossovers and that made a significant difference in the top end. But now, I need an honest opinion on the MA6100. I'm primarily listening to jazz on CDs. Thx!

MA6100 should go for less than $500 now. Doubt if it would make $700-800 worth of difference. Really depends on the Denon you are replacing, although you will hear subtle differences. The MA6100 does have a problematic volume pot (I've replaced mine and use a power strip for on-off). I would not go that route.

Thx for the honest opinions folks. I sincerely appreciate it! So if I'm leaning away from the MA6100, any recos on what to get if I'm looking to invest $500 to $700? This is for an occassional listening room (about 20'x20'), still looking for the best jazz I can get out of the super-efficient Forte's. Thx again!

Just to put another nail in the MA6100 coffin...

I also had the volume pot balance issue, but after much research and discussion with a local dealer / tech, found that its actually a system wide grounding issue. The older integrated mac's used small blade and socket connectors on most of the wiring, and these are problematic after 40 years.... I went through and tried to solder many of them (the previous owner had some quite a few as well), but there was still enough ground bleed to cause the balance bias issue... I did replace the volume pot (for $100!!!) but that had no effect... In the end I sold the unit for less than half what I purchased it for.. :(

Definitely avoid the 6100 unless you can extensively test it and know the issue has already been addressed.

All that being said - when I did use the unit, it was very nice sounding.... but maddening becuase I had to adjust the balance every time I touched the volume...

For that kind of money another route you could go is an inexpensive tube integrated. If you are patient and look around you can find one that somebody reputable has gone through already. For example a tube based Scott or Fisher stereo; or without a tuner a Stromberg Carlson tube amp. The S/C could be had for $300-$400 already refurbished. Just another idea to consider.