A question about high power amplifiers

jhoak

so we all have to live life according to your personal strategies otherwise a fool? come on now.

Don't put words in my mouth. You specifically stated:

why NOT buy a big amp!

if you can give me a single legitimate reason, you win... and guess what, the old "it's a waste of power and money" are NOT good reasons.

If I believe based on the specifics of my system and usage that a "big" 300 watt amplifier is a giant waste of money, that is a perfectly legitimate reason for me (or any other person who feels the same way) not to buy a big amp. So shall I turn your statement back around on you? Do I have to live life according to your personal strategies, otherwise I'm a fool? Come on now.

I've attached a "Dope from Hope" excerpt on this very subject. Note that some of the issues discussed here are addressed by PWK, but others, well, not so much. There are some performance attributes of amplifiers that have been studied a little bit more since the time that PWK or his staff wrote this, notably TIM in amplifiers, etc.

I agree with some of the statements above regarding "how loud do you play your speakers?" and the ability to support the speaker's drivers under highly driven conditions, notably direct radiating woofers with their large moving masses. Also note that passive crossovers tend to put a load on amplifiers that they can't handle well, hence there are two alternatives: 1) higher power, and 2) active biamping/triamping to isolate each driver and to provide better overall "damping" and an authoritative drive force to each of your speakers' drivers.

I also agree with Mark on his assessment of pro amps driving hf compression drivers - I've not heard a pro amplifier that I prefer over a for-purpose high quality consumer amplifier to drive these type of compression drivers (single drivers using active crossover channels) to achieve hi-fi listening. I personally vote for Nelson Pass's First Watt FET amps bi-amping or tri-amping for this duty, but I know that my opinions are just that: opinions.

I play my system at 105 dB© in-room at times but not often, usually when there is a lot of low frequency content like you find on classical organ recordings and on HT music disks. Fletcher-Munson effects to hear extreme low frequency content really dictate a pretty high playback level to hear the full spectrum of the performance and the ambiance of the venue under these conditions. I can't imagine someone owning Klipsch speakers and then never using them to play at concert levels or at HT levels, since that is what they were really designed to do. But, "to each, their own...", and I will refrain from judging, since that isn't my role here.

I will say this: those that cannot play their systems at concert levels without significant distortion (either THD, or IMD due to moving-mass issues) should really let their readers know on the forums that they have chosen that path (i.e., NOT PWK's path). I believe that a policy like that will tend to avoid some disagreements here.

My $0.02 only.

Chris

AMPLIFIER RATINGS TO DRIVE KLIPSCH SYSTEMS.pdf

To each his own..... This topic can go on and on, just like the discussion of analog vs. digital, expensive speaker wire vs. cheap "Radio Shack" speaker wire.... Ad Nauseam, Ad Nauseam, Ad Nauseam...

However, there have been some excellent points made on both sides... I appreciate that....

I took this from Dave Mallette's page...

"If it sounds good, it IS good!" - Duke Ellington

...However, there have been some excellent points made on both sides... I appreciate that....

I took this from Daves Mallette's page... "If it sounds good, it IS good!" - Duke Ellington

Wouldn't this about sum it up for everyone?

At risk of inflaming this issue, there are 2 factors which need to be considered in choosing how much power is needed. The first is whether the amp can drive the minimum impedance of the speakers, and the second is whether it can play loudly and cleanly enough to make you happy.

If it makes you feel any better, I fully agree with this sentiment Stick out tongue

One persons "loudly and cleanly" is another's "Headroom." [8-|]

I don't know where you go to eat but that must be one really nice place. My last amp was 2500 bucks. Does dinner include wine?

A private room and some live music would be my preference.

Interesting....I don't think I'd better share my fantasies of what a $2500 dinner would be like and really don't think my wife would go along with it anyway...She still gives me grief because this young French girl smiled at me and said "do you want a small baguette" after I butchered some words in French...Sheesh! [:#]

I don't know where you go to eat but that must be one really nice place. My last amp was 2500 bucks. Does dinner include wine?

Interesting....I don't think I'd better share my fantasies of what a $2500 dinner would be like and really don't think my wife would go along with it anyway...She still gives me grief because this young French girl smiled at me and said "do you want a small baguette" after I butchered some words in French...Sheesh! Zip it!

And to think that I get a thrill from going to the local Chinese place and dropping six bucks for a lunch special.....................

Interesting....I don't think I'd better share my fantasies of what a $2500 dinner would be like and really don't think my wife would go along with it anyway...She still gives me grief because this young French girl smiled at me and said "do you want a small baguette" after I butchered some words in French...Sheesh! Zip it!

And to think that I get a thrill from going to the local Chinese place and dropping six bucks for a lunch special.....................

I'll eat to that :)

This is what its like at my home ( dedicated man cave music room in my basement which is 9 ft below grade 17 x 22)

Khorn bass bins sealed tightly in reinforced corners with Greg Roberts ( Volti Audio ) mid horns with BMS mid drivers, Crites horn tweeters, ALK es crossovers driven by two Mcintosh mc 501's ( 500 per channel ) amps with a good front end that is running through a Mcintosh c 46 pre amp.

I've had several other lower rated power amps over the years form Denon to Adcom to Bryston, never close to the performance I have now.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it ? Every last penny. Overkill, maybe, but, the headroom and driver control is second to none and without a doubt it is the best I have had performance wise in my home ever.

Bottom line for me is lots of quality power offers control, headroom, dynamics, etc. All good.

Randy

it's in our genes. bigger is better. when our ancestors were running the plains chasing wild game to decide what they would spear to eat, those who killed bigger game, ate better, had more babies, genes were passed on. Those that were ok with easy small game, did not eat as well, had less babies, less genes were passed on. bigger breasted women fed our young better. bigger butt women could run from preditors easier than women with flat butts. over time, the bigger is better gene pool survived. we want bigger engines, bigger boats, bigger trucks, bigger houses, bigger speakers, bigger amps. we can't help it....it's embedded in our genes.

"bigger butt women could run from preditors easier than women with flat butts"

Holy smokestacks. I mean.....beer tastes good.....but....dam^&*.

Big can make a statement.

jc

post-16499-13819684081178_thumb.jpg