Comcast out, UVerse in

DizRotus

After many years with Comcast Internet, TV and VOIP phone, I dumped it and got AT&T U-Verse. So far, I couldn't be happier.

The picture is better, more channels, HD and DVR at each set and all for less money. If the Internet is slower (which I suspect is the case) it's insignificant. Large file downloads take no longer, IMO, than with Comcast.

Comcast was fast when it worked but too many times lately I had to use my AT&T buisness line to call Comcast to report no phone or Internet. In 10 years, the only problem with my AT&T lines (phone & fax) was noise on the lines from squirrels dining on the outside wire, which AT&T quickly fixed. The squirrel cooked up nicely.

Chattanooga, TN, has fiber available through the EPB (Electric Power Board). It starts at 30Mbps and can go up to 1000Mbps if you are willing to pay. Most of my co-workers are on it, but I am a little too far ourside of town into Georgia to get it. My choices are Windstream DSL and Comcast. Last spring we switched to Comcast, for the tv part. The much higher speed internet has been wonderful.

They still, after nine months or so haven't come back to finish burying some of the cable, but it's mostly my own fault. We had all those tornados last spring, right after the install. They got sidetracked... The other option in this area is Charter, but I've heard they are actually worse than Comcast.

Quality of service has been okay.

Bruce

Bruce, my complaint with Comcast isn't internet. That service works OK. But NOTHING is right about the cable. Decade old PVRs with 80gb drives, no way to program favorites, bizarre recording behavior...don't get me started. None of it an "error," so you can't get it fixed.

Good lord, even my 9 year old says "Puhleeeeze bring back directv."

Dave

My wife and I don't have a dvr, so we just watch when we watch...

There IS a terrrific amount of ac buzz on the cable. If I run the audio into my tube gear through the LS, it is more than unbearable. That's one of the reasons it goes into the HK430 and my Heresy IIs. Still there, but I don't hear it as much. I was tempted to get an optical to analog rca box, so I wouldn't have the noise, but I'm pretty cheap...

Bruce

After many years with Comcast Internet, TV and VOIP phone, I dumped it and got AT&T UVerse.

Boy, talk about the lesser of two evils.

Comcast and AT&T are probably the two most reviled companies in US for their (lack of) customer "service."

Sad that those are your choices. Good luck with AT&T.