One more SPUD build "They call me Tater"

Pete H

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a couple of quick thoughts and questions.

1. My goals for this project are pretty simple, build a sub for HT that will be better than my RSW 15's for that application. I wanted to do this build quickly as I feel that the best thing about this or any other build is when you're done and the project meets your expectations, not how many weeks you spend in the shop; my time is limited so when I decide to do something like this I need to " Get Er Done". I also wanted to hopefully provide some useful information for the next person as many of you have done on your builds.

2. I'm trying to show some details and methods that I choose to use because I hope that they might help someone or give somebody an alternative to the way they've done things; or it might produce some better ways of accomplishing the same thing. I've been building for a long time, but really haven't done much in the way of cabinet construction until getting into this so I'm all ears and would love to hear from those of you that have other methods or ideas that will help me and anyone else that is doing these types of projects.

3. I know I said this already, but I would really like to know, when I'm done this build, how to accurately test things; not that the test will tell me weather I like this or not, but rather to verify that I have built something properly based on the plans and if anything that I have altered helped, hurt or had no affect on the build. I have the following; room eq, true rta and sonar along with various microphones, mixing board, and the ability to jack into the laptop.

Thanks, Pete

How did I not see this and it's 3 pages long.

Very nice work, it will be solid as a rock. I am looking forward to your ideas on how it compares to the RSW 15.

It is what it is. SurpriseStick out tongue

I even sent you a PM and you sent me an e-mail pertaining to this and you missed the thread?[^o)] BTW, thanks for sending me that file again; it was the same one that I had and I'm still not certain of the exact measurements of the 2 motor board pieces but I belive it's got to be very close and we're gonna give it a whirl and see what happens.

• Moderators

]I even sent you a PM and you sent me an e-mail pertaining to this and you missed the thread?Hmm

? I have no idea, OK maby I do, we had 30+ people here for Christmas of which some stayed for a few days after and our daughter and 2 of our Grandkids are leaving in the AM.

We thought New Years Eve was going to be quiet with just our middle daughter and a couple of grandkids, made a fire in the yard to let the grandkids cook hot dogs and some marshmallows while listening to some music and fireworks. before it ended friends came over just to see what we were doing, ended up with at least a dozen people.

I can't wait for things to get back to just plain abnormal. [;)]

• Moderators

I have that exact same jigsaw, it's the best one I have ever had.

Good luck and I hope you are very happy with the new sub after you get to listen a little. For me it's amazing all of that comes from two small drivers.

I never had a RSW 15 so I have no idea how it will compare, that's going to be tough to beat I would think.

Pete, great job! You are getting this done fast! IIRC, I posted my frequency response tests on my build thread. I think you will be impressed with the performance. I use two of these for my HT and it rocks the house.

Thanks Rudy. I went through your build again and maybe I missed it but which Tank Band driver did you use?

Wish I was at the point where I could think about retirement.Yes I'm not going to rabbit the panels at all; I considered it but to be honest with you I think that the right adhesive, pocket screws and a clean bead of sealant is more than sufficient. This is the build for the Danley couch sub that uses 2/ 8" drivers. I really don't expect to have some unbelievable difference with these vs the RSW 15's for HT, but after hearing so many good things I wanted to give them a listen.

It should actually ouperfrom a 15" sub. MY TH is with a single 12, which would be like 3 8's in terms of Sd..............and it's scary good.

Pete,

I promise you the SPUD will outperform the RSW-15 by a mile when it comes to movie LFE performance. I have two RSW-15s and two SPUD type subs. I ornignally used the RSW's, but frankly they were not very good for the LFE channel. They were worse than my original SVS sub, which led me to look for something that could peel the paint off the walls.

I now use the RSW's from 20-80Hz exclusively as part of my main R and L speakers. The RSW's excel at music reproduction in that area IMHO. The twin tapped horn subs I built shake the darn foundation and I have never had them bottom out or have a problem handling LFE information.

Once you get it all set up. Play the new Tron movie with the RSW and then with the SPUD. I think you will be blown away by the performance of the SPUD for LFE.

Pete, where, in your room, are you going to locate the sub in the room? Mine are now placed in the center of the room, placed vertically, against the front wall behind my screen. The mouth of the horns point at the sitting location. At that location they produce a tremendous amount of LF. As usual, corner locations are best I think.

Pete, where, in your room, are you going to locate the sub in the room? Mine are now placed in the center of the room, placed vertically, against the front wall behind my screen. The mouth of the horns point at the sitting location. At that location they produce a tremendous amount of LF. As usual, corner locations are best I think.

They or it (I'm doing one at a time) will be located in the corner or corners behind everything else and standing up on end so the mouth will be located at the bottom and firing directly into the room. I just placed the order for the drivers and picked up a roll of poly fill, even though I still think that acoustical foam would work fine, I really want to put this together and get it done and running so when I set the top panel I want to be done.

]They or it (I'm doing one at a time) will be located in the corner or corners behind everything else and standing up on end so the mouth will be located at the bottom and firing directly into the room. I just placed the order for the drivers and picked up a roll of poly fill, even though I still think that acoustical foam would work fine, I really want to put this together and get it done and running so when I set the top panel I want to be done.

You will be blown away by the spuds. Most of the direct radiator/ported boxes barely get to 30 Hz. regardless of their spec. Spuds will go a FULL OCTAVE below that to 15 Hz. easily.

Pete, I used the Tang Band W8-740P 8" subwoofer. I see prices have been going up on those.

That was the same drivers i used.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-854&FTR=w8%20740&CFID=542086&CFTOKEN=79351136

I used that very driver in my Tuba-18. It's a stout little bugger.

I should have them here no later than tomorrow but I still haven't gotten a confirmation from Parts Express on the shipping.