Klipsch Speaker Rating!

Musicman

Since I'm new to "Cornwalls" but not to high-end sound equipment I have a question that may seem loaded. I'm intrigued by the quality of these speakers that I seemed to have missed through most of my life. If the "Cornwalls" sound this good, what about the other Klipsch speakers. Is there a grading system like one through seven. Obviously the Klipschorns would be at the top but then what? Can anyone make an assessment on listening quality of the various Klipsch speakers? I have the original brochure that came with my "Cornwalls" and it lists them as general purpose speaker which sounds like "nothing special" which we know is nonsense. I could only hope to be able to hear them all and make a comparison of my own and that's not likely to happen. So what's the best to the last(not necessarily the worst)?

My opinions here. 1. The Khorn 2. The Cornwall 3. Belle-LaScala (practically the same speaker) 4. Heresey Then all the other stuff, the best of which were the KLFs and Epics. I like the Cornwall better than the Belle-LaScala because I find it's tonal balance more pleasing, it's a fuller sounding speaker.

What TBrennan said...except there are some who may switch the order of the LaScala/Belle and the Cornwall because they desire the clarity of the horn woofer over the depth of the Cornwall's bottom end. The k-horn is still king though, and the Heresy is the knight's squire. The rest being craft guildsman with nary a peasant among them! Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

There are more to add... What about Chorus and Forte!!

IMHO - the order would be:

Khorn

LaScalla - Belle

Chorus 2

Cornwall 1-2

Chorus 1

Forte 1-2(for its slightly stronger bass)

Then the Heresy.

Never owned a Reference series so I can not comment on them.

JM

This is easy! Khorns #1. Closest speaker to the Khorns is the La Scala/Belle. Cornwall is #3.

Quote from the Klipsch page says it all: "The Heritage Series La Scala three-way loudspeaker provides a very Klipschorn®-like performance with sparkling highs; extreme output, yet smooth midrange; and the unsurpassed low distortion bass response of the patented Klipsch folded-horn woofer. Utilizing the same horn-loaded drivers used in the Klipschorn® and Belle Klipsch, the La Scala is highly efficient and can produce high volumes with very little power and undetectable distortion. The La Scala effectively unveils the recorded musical information, enabling you to hear the intricate detail and emotional response of the artist."

------------------

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/MYSTUFF.jpg

My opinion:

Klipschorn

Cornwall

Belle

LaScala

Heresy

I have own(ed) Horns and Cornwalls and listened at length to the Belles and LaScalas.

------------------

4 Channel Audio:

1980 Cornwalls

Quartets as Rear & Center

The following McIntosh I bought NEW in 1971:

MR-74, C-26, MC-2505

Dynaco 120 Amp. as Center

A Belle front center, K-Horns in the corners and Cornwalls for side/surrounds seems to bring the best of the PWK Heritage to my music system. When you put them all together... it becomes a system that's "fit to be tied" in the speaker rating department. LOL

As I understood it, PWK designed the K-Horn to provide all the bass necessary for classical music... and I have to agree that listening to a configuration inspired by PWK has had me put off adding a sub.

Now, in the crash, boom, bang world of HT... subs ARE a necessity! -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-19-2002 at 11:02 AM

RF7 in Maple

RF7 in Cherry

RF7 in Black Ash

RF5

RB5

RF3

anything after this -- doesn't really matter much to me

i have just always preferred the sound of two-way designs

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

deang....I agree with you on two way systems. Have you ever had a chance to hear any of the Epic series with the D'Appolito driver configurations? I own the CF-2's and have had the opportunity to hear my friends original Heresys on my system and they just don't do what the Epics do for me. The Heresy do rock but can't touch the even distribution of sound throughout the frequecy range. They just blend so well and the imaging is great.

I've always found the Epic interesting - but have never had the chance to hear them.

I always wanted to hear the KLF10 also -- but never had the chance.

I know a lot of folks like that middle driver -- it's just too much for me.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

I have not heard any of the older speakers unfortunately. But I have the Chorus 2s and nothing Klipsch makes now even comes close to sounding as good as the Chorus 2s! They sound so good I cannot imagine how good the Khorns must sound! Someday I want to hear them.

------------------

Sean Keegan

Klipsch Chorus IIs

Sony TA-E1000ES Pre-Amp

2 Mono 300W Sony

TA-N330ES Amplifiers (Front)

1 Sony TA-N330ES Amplifier (Rear)