Receiver match to Heresy's

goldenear57

Hi all,

I am looking for a 2 channel high quality stereo receiver to match my 1983 Heresy's. I currently have a Kenwood intergrated amp and seperate Kenwood tuner that works fine but looking for a replacement unit in BLACK mostly for asthetics for my system. Of course, I want to make sure I am improving the system while changing componants. The most important quality is the sound for a proper match with the Klipsch speakers. Did I say it needs to be BLACK? [:D]

Does anyone have something for sale that would suit my needs?

Thanks in advance!

Take a look at the Onkyo's. Onkyo USA site has some good quality, reasonably priced receivers that will work very well. I have a couple of them in the living room, and the bedrooms (Heresy's, Cornwalls, K'horns, and Belles) Never had a problem and I've had them for about 3-4 years now (TX-SR605, 705, and a 8555 stereo amp)

I have had a couple of solid state receivers hooked to my Heresy's, and when I connected an old Pioneer SX-800 tube receiver up to it, I was happiest. The tube receiver isn't very powerful, but it is fine for me. It definitely sounds great with the Heresy's!

I am definitely an Onkyo man for SS stuff. Most of what I use is either Onkyo/Integra. So I am definitely a +1 on that. If you go tubes, then I am not really a very good resource. There are others here who can help better. I bought my tube receiver from this forum...

A lot of the older stuff is in silver as you know. I don't know why you need black, but if the piece is vintage and cool looking that way, perhaps you can allow it to stand out. :)

Here is what I use:

Pioneer Tube Receiver SX-800A

Last night I tested a Sonos ZP120 on my pair of Heresy and it was a great match. 55watts/channel and it has an auto sensing subwoofer connection auto introducing a xover.

All radio stations in the world are available via your internet.

It has a pair of RCA for line in.

Volume and mute control is on the front panel and all functions are controlled by PC, Mac, android device, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad.

The installation this is going into has 5 ZP90's and 4 ZP120's that's 9 zones.

Definitely, a good option for consideration.

P.S. You can store all your CD's and records on your computer hard disc or a networked attached storage and it will import your iTunes play lists.

To easy, to convenient, good value.

If you want to reduce your equipment count at the same time (which always seems to please "She who must be obeyed") you might want to consider some of the all-in-ones which also have the CD player in the receiver unit. Marantz has one and if you want something more upscale, the Arcam Solo is available in black or silver and is a good sounding unit, and quite compact. I believe Denon also has an all-in-one and there might be others. I've driven my Heresy's with my tube amp, a Sansui 5000 vintage receiver, a Harmon Kardon receiver, and even my retired A/V receiver. The Heresy seems to be pretty easy to drive.

IMHO, get one of the vintage solid state receivers or integrated amps. You get the most bang for the buck, and the analog part stopped getting better years ago. For the digital stuff, outside of the box is fine and allows you to change easily and cheaply. I listed a shop in Rockford IL in the Garage sale section. I would also look at the class A integrated Amps 120WRMS, I snagged one for $70 a few weeks ago.

The one thing I would recommend is either a good used CD-DVD 5 disc player with the good DAC chips, or stand alone DAC. The formerly $500 5 disc DVD players can be head for $10, a factory remote can be purchase on-line for $10. With everyone dumping the DVD players, the local goodwill store had a stack of $500 DVD players in excellent condition for $7 each, but this won't last forever.

I tend to agree with the vintage intergrated amps statement. I currently have what I think to be a decent Kenwood KA 7100 intergrated amp and a good old matching Kenwood KT 7300 tuner. Not sure about you, but I much prefer spinning the weighted knob to get a station.

I am either going to continue to use this equipment and hide it somehow as to not harm the visual esthetics my wife insists on in our entertainment center or start to shop had at the thrift stores. [8-|]