Are Forte II better than KG4?

cyto

Hi All,

I am thinking of upgrading this coming summer. I want to get LaScalas but the wife put a veto on moving the 2 channel system to a larger room.

I cannot get anything with a footprint much larger than the KG4s I have.

My KG4s have titanium diaphragms and Sonicaps from Bob Crites.

My question is: Would Fortes or Forte IIs be much of an upgrade from my KG4s?

I have never heard a Forte in person so I would like opinions from you guys that have heard both.

Thanks [:D]

David

A set of Forte ll will sound amazing. You could also keep your eyes open for a pair of KLF20. The KLF20 is roughly the same size cabinet as a Forte ll but a little taller and turned sideways so the front visual is only a foot wide. The KLF20 runs two killer ten inch woofers each which combined will push about 40% more air than a single 12 inch woofer. The KLF20 has a very good tractrix mid horn and uses the same K79 tweeter as the Forte. The horns in the KLF20 are positioned at a better height than those in the Forte.. KLF20 has rear firing reflex vents Forte rear firing passive so same rear side positioning issues as a Forte. If you can find a solid KLF20 with no baffle issues and you swap out the diaphragms for Ti ones you can have a very fine set of loudspeakers. Hope that this helps. Best regards Moray James.

I have owned all three of the models you are talking about. I still own two of the three. Forte's and KG4's.

The Forte's are doing duty in the bedroom and the KG4's are standing ready in reserve in the closet. All boxed up and ready for action if needed.

The only reason I kept the Forte's over the Forte II's, was the condition of the cabinets. They sounded very similar. In fact, to my ears, there was not enough difference to say one was better than the other.

I second the suggestion from moray james about the KLF 20's. A very different animal from the Forte's, but, very good speakers. I have owned them before as well.

Tom

I agree the Chorus is a nice speaker but it is getting larger than a Forte. These extended Heritage designs are smaller looking than the Cornwall but still pretty wide from the front. That was why I suggested the KLF20 which is only a foot wide and will push the equivalant of 1.4 twelve inch woofers. To get La Scalla league sounf you really have to have the same kind of efficiency well over 100db and even a Cornwall does not get close enough at 101db (CW3).

A KLF 20 will take a little mre power to run than a Forte if you want them to strut their stuff. A solid 100 watts per channel (ss) should have most folks more than happy. I think another possible option would be to take a Forte turn it sideways and mount the mid and tweeter horn on the side. Take the factory risers off place the cabinets up on 10 inch four post stands have the woofer fire in and the passive fire out. Grills tor these would look nice. I think this could work very well. A handy guy with a shop could knock up a set of test boxes to evaluate the configuration.You could also time align the tweeter and mid horns. There are options if you are prepared to step outside of the box or the cabinet. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Actually a set of Chorus or KLF 20s would fit. I didn't think of those.

I think I will keep my eyes open for now then look seriously this summer, it will be my birthday present. And likely my last chance for a decent upgrade as my wife is retiring in November. I plan to sell the KG4s when I do this, no room to store them.

Let me say this, KG4's are sound pretty darn good.

They are just a stepping stone to the path toward, Quartets, Fortes I&II, Chorus I&II.

I upgraded from KG4's to Fortes and never looked back. Do I wish I still had them? Sure, but sonically I am not missing them.

With reselling my KG4's, I was able to recoupe a portion of what I bought my Fortes for.

Bill