component isolaters?

Thaddeus Smith

There are TONS of options out there, but i'm not looking for the snooty micro-subsonic isolaters meant to prevent vibrations from a human breath.

I think my new sub is causing my blu-ray player to skip. i'm getting weird handshake/garbled signal issues in movies such as Tron: Legacy or other bass heavy movies, only when playing via disc, and only during deep bass scenes. Have checked to make sure discs are clean, cables connected, etc.

The only thing i can come up with is that either the player is vibrating in my component rack or the disc/tray are vibrating. so what are some suggestions for serious vibration isolation and not just fancy looking expensive inverted solid gold cones?

3 broad possibilties:

1. Put something heavy on top of the player, mass-loading it,

2. If your rack is heavy, strap the player to it (same basic principle as #1), or

3. Use a rubber-type disc to isolate the player. I've always liked something like the Vibrapods ($6 each for discs, $8 each for cones) under disc spinners, but I think #1 or #2 might be better in your situation.

Lou

I'd look into something like a Subdude from Auralex.

it's already sitting on thick heavy rubber feet. the issue is the sheer level of output from the sub and it's proximity to my component rack. I'm going to finally get some pictures taken tonight and start my own thread so that people can stop trying to visualize my setup (that's my own fault) and see what I'm working with.

• Moderators

I'm going to finally get some pictures taken tonight and start my own thread so that people can stop trying to visualize my setup

Well it's about time [*-)], thought it would never happen, since were talking about visualization, what's the deal with your avatar ? [:o]

Sounds like the sub is working well. [Y]

oh ya, that's really me. and the beard has gotten longer since I snapped that. I started growing a beard when i found out wife was pregnant (sort of like playoff beards) last june and haven't trimmed since. I'm sure i'll clean it up a little after birth, but 've gotten quite attached to the thing and plan on keeping it long term.

i have the subdude hd and i like them a lot. They have significantly cutdown on vibrations. My subs are in an entertainment center with china and glass in it. Due to the situation i am in it was very easy to tell the difference and it may do you well to get something like the auralex subdudes

• Moderators

oh ya, that's really me. and the beard has gotten longer since I snapped that. I started growing a beard when i found out wife was pregnant (sort of like playoff beards) last june and haven't trimmed since. I'm sure i'll clean it up a little after birth, but 've gotten quite attached to the thing and plan on keeping it long term.

I guess it's the expression on your face, with the beard ? I like it,

I couldn't grow one like that if I tried for years. My Dad was like that, about 2-3 weeks before Christmas he would stop shaving and by Christmas he would have beard like that but it was all white.

Congratulations and good luck on the baby. [Y]