ThadduesSmith's HT

Thaddeus Smith

Yes, I'm too good for the group HT thread. I also know i tend to derail innocent threads from their intended purpose, so here's my own thread that I don't have to share or worry about rabbit-holing. It'll serve as my dumping grounds through the years as the room/system evolves. :)

The house is about 31 years old and most certainly a work in progress. You'll notice I haven't finished putting chair or base or crown moulding up in some areas, nothing is on the walls, no drapes, etc. We plan to do big blackout drapes over the sliding glass door, and then the rest of the blinds and doors will be black to match the wainscoting. Likewise, the sub will be painted black, likely with a fine bed liner type substance. The audio rack will have sides put on and all painted black as well. Just takes time and money..

Everything is pretty much on hold while we wait for child. The room is sunken down by about 4 ft from the rest of the house and is sort of an L shape. The door in front of the sub goes to a large closet that I use for misc storage and the 42u component rack.

ht-1.jpg

ht-2.jpg

ht-3.jpg

ht-4.jpg

ht-5.jpg

ht-6.jpg

ht-8.jpg

ht-9.jpg

• Moderators

before you have child i would suggest some light switch coversWink

No big deal, just part of the learning process, kind of fun watching their reaction as they "learn".

I like the room, especialy how it's lower than the rest of the house. [Y]

Is this your first baby ?

Congratulations

Nice man, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this thread I had to make my self a drink real quick. Congrats on the baby get you some bass cds so when the baby is crying you can calm her with some bass. Keep up the good work keep the pics coming when you have time.

• Moderators

Room looks great! Thanks for vacuuming before taking pictures. I appreciate the tidiness. [;)]

It looks like there is an amp plate from a sub mounted to a board on the bottom of your rack. Is that going to your "tiny" sub?

Aaaaah, it makes sense now. The sub is actually behind the listening position. That's about the most challenging spot to integrate one. Cross it over as low as possible and it'll help eliminate localization issues.

Thanks for the pics, it helps. Get some paint on that thing!

Aaaaah, it makes sense now. The sub is actually behind the listening position. That's about the most challenging spot to integrate one. Cross it over as low as possible and it'll help eliminate localization issues.

Thanks for the pics, it helps. Get some paint on that thing!

yes and no. the primary listening position is the couch, it's directly across from the tv. Room is too big/odd for my lens to get everything in at once. So the sub is halfway between primary and front stage, all the way to the right.

yes, youth, that's an oAudio 500w plate amp. I wanted the longest cable for the sub to be only the +/- leads from the amp and i didn't want the amp itself to be easily viewable or accessed out in the main area. it's just ugly and clunky. so i have a shelf made out of MDF (all of the major components are on, or will be on, MDF) and then mounted the amp to it. It'll always be the bottom shelf, so there's no risk of reaching under to mess with something and getting shocked, cables tripped over, etc.

yes, wall plates will be covering all sockets and switches by the time Adelaide is old enough to move around on her own. ;)

thanks for all the comments guys, i will surely be updating as I change and improve things. We're in this house for the long haul, so taking my time to do things as right as I can the first time.

• Moderators

It looks like the sub is off to the right front off to the side a ways ?

Still a tough place to get it to blend in, it would be nice if it could go on the front wall. As far as it being out of the way it's in a good spot for that.

yes, would make it too high - i prefer to have the center of tv right at eye level, which it currently is. center channel is all that is in the tv console. it held everything at the last house, but it became cramped and hot which is why i moved everything remotely to the closet. it's also nice not having all of the lights and fans.

the cat and dogs showed interest in the mouth of the sub when i first got it - i made sure to crank things up and scare away any further exploration missions.

I'd be tempted to lay the sub on it's side under the TV. Take the center out of the cabinet and fabricate a small shelf for it to sit inside. Place the TV on top of the shelf. Getting the sub on the same wall as your mains will make a big improvement in the sound. You could even put wainscote on it and it would blend in with the wall. or paint it and do a decorative molding pattern on the front.

Your sub is just fine where it is. The human ear cannot locate frequencies below 80HZ so unless you have your crossover set above 80 there is no reason to move it. Blending with the main speakers better if it is on the same wall is a myth, as long as it is within the same confined space.