Who has the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD?

lo123

I've been tracking prices of this DVD for a couple years, expecting to find it on Amazon or at Walmart or at Best Buy on sale. Well, finally saw it on Amazon recently for around $15 so grabbed it, added another disc to the order to get free shipping, seemed like a good deal.

Last time I saw this in a store, it seems like it had a nice cardboard slip cover and appeared to be of a "recent" vintage. This disk is packaged in a standard plastic DVD case, no slip cover, artwork looks like I remember on the front, but something just bothers me about the packaging. Have not opened the item yet.

Going back to the Amazon listing for this item, it is billed as the "1994" disc for this title. Hmmmm. Considering returning it, wanted to see if anyone else has this "version" of the DVD. The number at the bottom of the cover spine is B0004377-09. The back cover notes copyright 1994. Does anyone have a newer version? Anyone have this version? Any differences?

Interesting side note, I checked at Walmart and could not find their music video DVD section anymore. Then went to local Best Buy, the entire CD and music video section appeared to be very sparse. Neither store had this title. This was a couple weeks ago, so it seems that holiday shopping affects on store stock would have been replenished. Anyone else note a shift in this type of product availability at big box stores?

• Moderators

Have both, the original "Hell Freezes Over" is 1994 and it's a plastic case only, the other is Farewell 1 live from Melbourne, it has the cardboard slipover a cardboard case with 2 DVD's.

The original is brownish silver color and the second one is more of a gold cover.

Both are worth having, some songs are repeated but to me the performances are different. I wanted both, they are both recorded very well, right up with some of the best recordings I have heard yet.

I would keep it, if your not sure and want to decide, look up the second online and see what songs you like better. After hearing one you may want the other if you really like the Eagles. [Y]

• Moderators

Interesting side note, I checked at Walmart and could not find their music video DVD section anymore. Then went to local Best Buy, the entire CD and music video section appeared to be very sparse. Neither store had this title. This was a couple weeks ago, so it seems that holiday shopping affects on store stock would have been replenished. Anyone else note a shift in this type of product availability at big box stores?

Went to BB about a week ago because it had been at least 8 months since I had gone and was hoping to find something new.

Before it was one side of one isle was concert DVD's, probably 30' long. I went in last week, it is not 30' anymore, it's now about 6' long at the most !

I asked an employee where the rest were and he said "before it was just the top row so we just moved them into one space to make it easier for the customer", [bs] I didn't say anything but i knew better, I had been in there probably 25 times over the previous couple of years and remember it was a pain to kneel down and go through a whole row from top to bottom looking for something i would like. I did it every time I was there. He probably wasn't there long enough to remember or just gave me a line of [bs] to cover only having maby 1/5 of what they had one year ago.

I pretty much decided to look online, now the only place within 30 miles is wally world which I never even checked and BB which has at the most 50 to chose from and this is blu-ray and DVD's mixed. I was really looking for a Blu-ray concert because i don't have any, they had 3 to chose from.

If I remember correctly, the original version of Hell Freezes Over only had DTS surround or 2 channel stereo audio options. This was in the early days of DTS and many people didn't have the ability to listen to it in DTS surround, so they re-released it a few years later with a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix. I have the original version myself, and it is fantastic!!

The "Farewell One Tour" concert is also excellent... [Y]

Didn't know that,I had to go look.

It says, Stereo...DTS....English 5.1 Whatever that is, It looks just like the scan Youthman posted ? Either way it sounds good to me.

Yeah, that's the original version... [Y]

I got mine a few months back for $15 on Ebay

it has the DTS and 2.1 PCM recordings

the DTS surround audio is breathtaking - too bad all of our music doesnt sound this good! I can barely listen to the regular CD in my car anymore now...

I've got both too. I've grown to appreciate the Farewell tour more. For one thing, it is filmed in 1.85 aspect, which just looks less dated. The audio is a toss up between the two for me. To be honest though, neither make the cut for my demo concerts any longer. The modern bluray concerts are cleaner recordings. Still awesome stuff though. I may be inspired to have a beer or two and an evening with The Eagles this weekend! :)