Sherwood Newcastle HTR?

dtel

• Moderators

Has anyone heard or have this brand, the R-972 looks pretty good especially for this price.

I'm not buying anything right now but ran across this one and have no idea, I have heard of the brand but not in a long time.

For this price it makes me think something is wrong with it. The reviews from the different magazines all seem to like it when it was 3 times this price, either it's a great price or there is a problem somewhere along the line ?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SHERR972/SHERWOOD-R-972-Newcastle-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver-TrueHD-DTS-HD/1.html#!more

• Moderators

What got me looking at this brand was it's different, also it has a completely different auto adjustment which after reading it looks like it compares very well to all others according to the reviews. Never had anything like that so it's another thing I have no clue about !

Later when I get a new receiver I will probably not go back with Yamaha. Mostly just to try something else, I was thinking HK but all the new models have changed and if anything has gone downhill from what I can find. I never liked the Denon sound although it's been a while since I compared.

Had a Pioneer DVD/SACD/DVD-A player before and it just didn't seem to last very long, about 2 weeks after the warranty ran out, which leaves Marantz and Onkyo. I really like the Onkyo 709 and 809 when the price is right, but kind of heard the Onkyo is not the most musical, who knows ?

I've had a few pieces of Sherwood Newcastle kit and for the most part was very pleased with it.

In the days before HDMI I had one of their 5.1 Pre/Pro & amp combos. I don't recall the model numbers at the moment but they were VERY nice. A lot of features (for the time) and great GREAT sound quality. I replaced it with an Onkyo AVR and really felt like it was a major step down.

On the flip side a few years ago I bought one of their "universal" DVD players and it was a total POS from the day I pulled it out of the box until I returned it. Maybe I just got a lemon but it did leave a bad taste.

Guess I looked at the wrong unit. I have had a few pieces of SN gear, I still have the A-965 amp that runs my HT, great stuff. The only problem I had with the P-965 pre was it had a problem setting the sub output at the right level. It was easy enough to work around. But to the original question, it's good sounding gear. I have opened my amp and it is all top notch components.

The 972 sounds great, This is the only avr that has Trinnov, and it's really something, amazing.The HDMI switching is a little slow, video up conversion is spotty, there is a few second lag when starting a source in audio.Most of the great sounding units have some issue, most great operating units sound blah...boring and low fi in my opinion.This is another unit for those that put audio quality first and can live with a few glitches.

• Moderators

Thanks everyone, I am always hesitant when something comes along making huge claims, but there are alot of reviews backing it up, which is better than nothing ?

At that price $599 looks like a pretty good deal, the model 977 may be even better but higher in price. It's not high WPC but it does have a complete set of pre-outs if needed.

If there still around a little later at decent prices I may try one, the reviews look good even for music. I usually don't use HT for music but if it sounded really good I might use it more. That new calibration thing does sound like it works well from everything I could find. I have a feeling it would run circles around my Yamaha easily.

How come when I start looking "for later" I find something I want ? I just started looking so i would have some idea when I was ready what I wanted, I should have known this was going to happen.