Reasons to Upgrade my Fat PS3 to the Slim PS3?

Youthman

• Moderators

I am currently using the original "Fat" 80GB PS3. There are several of the new "Slim" 250GB - 300GB PS3's on CL. There are a few 80GB Fat PS3's listed for $175 - $200. Would it be worth the "upgrade" for under $50? My guess is yes. Below are the reasons I'm thinking would make it worthwhile.

Increased HD Space
I'm always running low on HD space due to music stored on the HD and Game Demos I've downloaded. Would be nice to jump up to a 320 GB HD.

Quieter Fan
I hear the Slim is much more quiet than the Fat model.

Bitstream Capable
The Slim can bitstream through HDMI, the Fat cannot

Multi-Channel Analog Outputs?
I thought I read awhile back the Slim has this but I'm not seeing that online. Must have been mistaken.

My Fat PS3 has been an awesome machine. Really no problems at all. Only a very few times it has locked up on me. Guess I'm hesitant to replace it due to "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it".

Just wanted to see how many are using the new PS3 Slim and how they like it. Any other reasons to upgrade?

I am currently using the original "Fat" 80GB PS3. There are several of the new "Slim" 250GB - 300GB PS3's on CL. There are a few 80GB Fat PS3's listed for $175 - $200. Would it be worth the "upgrade" for under $50? My guess is yes. Below are the reasons I'm thinking would make it worthwhile.

Increased HD Space
I'm always running low on HD space due to music stored on the HD and Game Demos I've downloaded. Would be nice to jump up to a 320 GB HD.

Quieter Fan
I hear the Slim is much more quiet than the Fat model.

Bitstream Capable
The Slim can bitstream through HDMI, the Fat cannot

Multi-Channel Analog Outputs?
I thought I read awhile back the Slim has this but I'm not seeing that online. Must have been mistaken.

My Fat PS3 has been an awesome machine. Really no problems at all. Only a very few times it has locked up on me. Guess I'm hesitant to replace it due to "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it".

Just wanted to see how many are using the new PS3 Slim and how they like it. Any other reasons to upgrade?

Is your fat one one of the ones that is able to play sacd?

I've thought the same thing with my backwards compatable 60gb, but the thing is they dont make em like they use too, if I ever decide to upgrade it might be just for an oppo instead since I've only had 2 ps3 games and one is still sealed...

Theres always the option to upgrade your hard drive yourself for the cost difference and in the end end up with a bigger harddrive yet

Reason to upgrade, newer model less likely to break, less power consumption but a standalone bluray player will in all likelyhood use even less than the ps3 slim anyway

I've read that the old ps3s were able to boot and load blurays a little faster but when it came to gaming the new slim ps3s were able to load games faster so a horse a peice but also I read that ps3 slims have a louder disc noise but quiter fans like you mentioned

Since you'd lose less options not being able to do sacds anyway it might be worthwhile just for the quiter fans, moderately bigger harddrive, and bitstreaming

I say go for it

I ran into the hard drive space issue years ago with my 40GB Fat PS3. Then I found a 320GB HD on CL for 60 bucks and bought it then swapped them out. Took five minutes for the swap and another ten to format the HD. So, 60 bucks and fifteen minutes later, HD space issue solved. I think the max is 640Gb but I could be mistaken. I can't compare the fan noises as I've never had a slim but mine sits about twelve feet from me so I probably wouldn't notice the diff anyways.

Hi:

I have both versions of the PS3 (can't remember the versions) but my Slim model is so loud that I have to turn up the volume to drown it out.

It doesn't matter if it is sitting idle, playing a DVD, or streaming Netflix. I've tried every trick that is on the internet to fix the issue (There are many people out there that have the same problem) but nothing has worked.

It was this way right out of the box and I should have returned it ASAP but I was too lazy and procrastinated too long.

Just my .02 worth

Thanks

JJ

• 3 weeks later...

My slim gets pretty loud, but only when the fans kick into high gear. I'm guessing because of the space that it's in...I'm sure once I wall mount my TV, I'll be able to take it out of the center of the the entertainment center and put it on top. I never hear it until it heats up.

• Moderators

Thx Ivan. I think I'm content with the Fat PS3. Other than having more space, it doesn't seem like the Slim is much of an "upgrade" to what I already have. If it gets to the point where the hard drive is too limiting, I'll probably upgrade the hard drive.

If I did upgrade the hard drive, how do you get the PS3 operating system on it? Or is it already installed when you buy the hard drive?

If I did upgrade the hard drive, how do you get the PS3 operating system on it? Or is it already installed when you buy the hard drive?

The OS I believe is kept on internal memory. When I upgraded to 500gb drive it was easy and took only a few minutes and has been working flawlessly since. The suggested hard drive is the Westen Digital Scorpio Blue in whatever size you want. I believe there is a cap in size ,but I do know the 500gb works great.

Yeah save your money, rock the fat one till it breaks. I just upgraded from the first gen sacd full backwards compatible one. Mine lasted from the release day in Japan till a few weeks ago. So I got my money's worth for sure. Now 250 for the new slim, hope it goes for at least 6 years too!!

Ajoker is right, the OS is maintained on internal memory. When you swap the HD the PS3 will prompt you with the next step upon power up: English Language? Yes. Format the HD? Yes. Install OS? Yes. Done.(I may have missed a question but you get the point). It was also suggested a 500GB can work, as I mentioned before I'm pretty sure that the max size is 640GB for the Fat version. Also, something to keep in mind with respect to overall noise is your HD's RPM speed. 5400 RPM= Less noise and slower load times for HD stored material. 7200 RPM= More noise and faster load time for HD stored materials. Keep this in mind if noise is a concern because you'll be confronted by this choice when you start looking at HD's as a replacement. One thing that I don't know is whether or not you could install a solid state HD in it. If so, there would be no noise but the cost would be about double to triple depending on the chosen HD. Hope this helps, good luck. Oh, and you'd be looking to get an 2.5" Sata drive, NOT 3.5", 2.5 is meant for laptops and any will work on a PS3 as long as they are Sata. 3.5 is meant for tower PC's and Sata or not, simply will not fit. As I stated I've done this before so if you need any guidance feel free to PM me and I'll walk you through it.

• Moderators

Awesome info guys. I had never really researched replacing the hard drive. I guess I was thinking they took a special HD that was made for the PS3. Standard 2.5" Laptop Sata HD opens up more options. I have built many computers from scratch, purchasing each component from Newegg and I've always preferred Western Digital HD's.

Newegg has the Scorpio Blue for $90 with free shipping and this guy has 8 of them that are ending in 25 minutes.Current bids are around $26.00 with $6.00 shipping. I'm watching all 8 and will try and pick one up at a great price.

sound format alone was enough of a reason for me to upgrade....slim ouputs HD master in bitstream which the fat ps3 will never do....For me i HAVE to see the reciever doing the processing or i dont believe its working. The fat one runs way to hot, it would heat my whole cabinet up

• Moderators

sound format alone was enough of a reason for me to upgrade....slim ouputs HD master in bitstream which the fat ps3 will never do....For me i HAVE to see the reciever doing the processing or i dont believe its working.

Doesn't bother me to see PCM because I know it doesn't matter which is doing the processing. I'm cool with living by faith. [;)]

I'm pretty sure that the Scorpio blue is what I installed in my PS3, the 320GB version. Also, since you mentioned noise as a concern you should be safe with these as they are all 5400's that I know of. As cviper backed me up on, the solid state are really the way to go if it's an option for you, price wise. Depends on how much HD stored material you plan on utilizing though. Also, ALWAYS go bigger than needed with HD's, the more free space is there the easier it'll be to retrieve the info you desire (read: load times). I store about 40GB music and another 40GB video on my PS3, not by intention to minimalize due to HD space, just happens to be the amount and I have no issues with load times. So, wanna spend some dollars go solid state 640Gb, wanna save some dollars go traditional 640GB, it's up to you!