Questions about Florida: Considering a move

Music Luva

You are certainly welcome to visit Okeechobee. I can put you up for a couple days and you can drive around and see what really layed back livin' can be. The cost of living in our county is very much less than the coastal counties. Real estate is not so much expensive, but if you spend time looking for "buy owner" deals you can avoid the dealers and banks that just will not let up on their prices. It's cheaper to find a pre-existing house, etc on good land in the "sticks" than buy from a real estate dealer or bank who's only interest is to make more profit from bad financing from previous "suckers".

Youcan email me or PM me when you decide to head south for the recon operation.

PS... I have a pool and you can relax under the palm trees.....

waaz_up.

I lived on the west coast in a town called Crystal River from 1980 to 1982. Located about an hour north of Tampa. Fairly protected by the shape of the western coast as most hurricanes running up the coast would be too far out to wreck much havoc. Of course the big one that went across the state (Hurricane Andrew was it?) affected alot of the state including Crystal River. Orlando is about 1.5 hours away, Ocala about an hour. etc. Local Hospital in Crystal River also.

Critters: Gnats (we called then sand gnats, flying teeth, no see-ums, and other names I will not print.), man when they bit you... We would rub bay oil on our arms and watch then land as they are hard to see otherwise. Fire ants were coming into the area, but were not seen that often when I was there. I would expect them to more prevalent now. Mosquitos during the warmest time would race you to your car when you went out and then again when you came home. I hate mosquitos. Coastal town - what can you expect.

Benefits? Seafood, fresh water and salt water fishing, skin and scuba diving, Manatee watching, most water sports in general.

If looking at a coatal town, be sure you ask about salt water intrusion into the areas fresh water. I guess this would apply if you had a well. I had a well and although my water stayed fresh, there was always talk of salt water intrusion occurring around the area. Though in my short 2 year stint, I never met anyone with this problem.

I left Crystal River to hit the road as a contractor to make more money. Not anything to do with Crystal River. It was a nice place.

Florida State Income tax - none

Florida Gun laws - good

Sorry, I cannot remember anything about property taxes

I'm listening. Smile I definitely plan on a get-together this summer.

waaz_up,

I was in your shoes 11 years ago. I was 42 at the time, same job for 20 years, same townhouse for 14 years, still single and not dating. I wasn't a big fan of change then, but knew I needed to do something. My family (4 sisters and my mom) started to move to central Florida in the early 90's and were all relocated by the late 90's. I would come down every winter over the holidays, and couldn't believe that I could play golf in shorts when there was a foot of snow on the ground where I lived (northern VA).

When I visited over the winter of 2000 I made up my mind to just do it. I haven't looked back since. I have a new career, new house, and a new girlfriend. Life has never been better, even though the economy has been unstable. I play golf and drive my Corvette all year round. In VA, the Vette would be under a cover from November to March. Life is good my friend. I say just do it!

Mike

Nice to hear from you Mike. Your personal history does sound a lot like mine. I'm 39 and have been in IT for 18 years. Single, no kids and not really foujnd someone compatible to the lifestyle I want. I've been at my current job for going on 13 years. About 7 years ago I decided to move to my current residence. It was part of a bigger plan. I was starting to hate IT and had ideas for the long term for working for myself.

But my last name wasn't Rockefeller so I needed a plan. 7 years later, here I am in the home stretch of the plan. I worked so hard for years that I needed a small break this year. I needed to recharge and let myself decide where I wanted to go and decide the timing of when to leave. Now, I'm to the point where the "just do it" mentality is taking hold. So I know it's about time.

"The Great Recession" impacted some of my plan. But I truly believe the improvement and turnaround indicators are starting to become evident each day. I don't believe our lives will return to pre-2008 lifestyles. And I believe what we see now is a new beginning. So, I think I've waited long enough.

So as I've started to look to exactly "where" I'm gonna land, I'm looking for advice. And very glad to see some of the outpouring I've seen in response to my questions. I don't expect to land in the absolute perfect spot for me, because I think ultimately that spot's somewhere in my own mind.

I'm enjoying the advice guys and taking it to heart. So, keep it coming! :)

Water Services

I have seen mention in this post and on real estate listings concerning "wells" as a water supply. With such frequent mentioning, I am curious how prevelant wells are in Florida?

In Kentucky, we still have wells in some remote areas but most counties have far reaching water districts. I wouldn't dare try to put an exact percentage on it, but most residents have some form of public water service to their home. While wells still exist and are primary water sources for remote locations, most are backup water supplies or abandoned from usage.

I assume most residents in city limits have public water service and that wells are prevelant in the outlying/rural areas in Florida. Can anyone shed light on this?

Sewage Services

Also, what about sewer/sewage services?

Here, we have public sewage services within most city limits. Local building and health mandates require some form of septic system (tank with lines, lagoon, sewage pump, etc) for residents ouside of public sewage service areas.

I can only assume that Florida's water conservation and sewage handling requirements are probably different.

Do most cities offer sewage services? How far do they extend (outside of city limits)?

What do residents use who do not have sewage services?

Sink Holes

I've heard of this more than once. It makes me wonder how much of problem sink holes are?

Thanks for all of the input guys!

Definitely see an allergist to rule out allergies to mold. There is a ton of it in Florida. As for critters, consider the palmetto bug. They pick fights with dogs. [:)] I was born in Punta Gorda, FL, and have family there. It's a nice little town on the Gulf side just north of the craziness of Ft Myers. A hurricane flew straight over them, and my cousin saw the blue sky in the eye. [:)]

My family has allergies, as do I, and I seem to do better on the Atlantic side, cause the salt air seems to dry my sinuses out. Mom and dad spent a winter in St Augustine, and decided it was too far north. They didn't expect 45 degree nights. They were right on the beach and froze. Perhaps one of the keys? Like I said before, rule out mold.

Definitely see an allergist to rule out allergies to mold. There is a ton of it in Florida. As for critters, consider the palmetto bug. They pick fights with dogs. Smile I was born in Punta Gorda, FL, and have family there. It's a nice little town on the Gulf side just north of the craziness of Ft Myers. A hurricane flew straight over them, and my cousin saw the blue sky in the eye. Smile

My family has allergies, as do I, and I seem to do better on the Atlantic side, cause the salt air seems to dry my sinuses out. Mom and dad spent a winter in St Augustine, and decided it was too far north. They didn't expect 45 degree nights. They were right on the beach and froze. Perhaps one of the keys? Like I said before, rule out mold.

I just looked up palmetto bugs. It's a small armadillo! j/k :)

Thanks for the info about allergies and St. Augustine. I had suspected they might get some colder temps at times. And I'll check out the mold.

Thanks!

I lived on the west coast in a town called Crystal River from 1980 to 1982. Located about an hour north of Tampa.

Nice place, Crystal River. We go over and snorkel with the Manatees every year. The kids love it, and SWMBO wants to buy a place over there.

The blobs in front of the ropes are me and my younger son. The blobs beyond the ropes are the manatees doing their usual nap thing.

post-54093-13819693205954_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wasn't allergies a part of the reason for this move? Moving to Florida (or Seabrook!) to get away from allergies is like moving to Bismarck to get away from the cold.

Here in Seabrook we say everything molds, rusts, or rots. Sometimes all three.

OTOH, my favorite places in Florida is the area from Mexico Beach to Appalachicola. This is pretty much the last bastion of the "old Florida" of the first half of the 20th century. Killer beaches, laid back people, low prices, and no crowds. We rented a large room with full kitchen and two double poster beds in Mexico Beach for a less than a 100 per night. When you opened the front and back door you could see straight through to the beautiful white beach and the breeze blew straight through.

Gotta love it...

Dave

Wasn't allergies a part of the reason for this move? Moving to Florida (or Seabrook!) to get away from allergies is like moving to Bismarck to get away from the cold.

This comment is not directed at you.

I live in Kentucky. There's few places in the US that have such a combination of mold, pollen and other respiratory stressors in the same environment. Anyone who thinks otherwise should stay a year or two and rethink their opinion. Other places might have more severe versions of inidividual agents, but few have such a combination in one place. If you live near a water source or humid climate, mold is a fact of life.

I was trying to get quality input about Florida. It's the only state in the south I've not visited. I like the ocean (large bodies of water) and nature but hate large cities and cold weather. That starts to narrow down options.

I've always known that a desert environment is best for my quality of life needs. But when thinking where I might want to spend the rest of my life, I thought I would explore the possibility of living near an ocean.

I did say that Florida was one of the places I've considered. I said I was thinking about planning a trip there. I've already visited other areas on my list. But for some reason this has come across as "Florida or bust" by the tone of some responses. It's not. I was simply trying to get information.

I was just asking for help.

Until I started this post, I had never heard of Torc, NM. Imagine what other places might exist in this great land that I've not heard about in 39 years?

So, I thought I would ask.

So, I thought I would ask.

Hey, and it's been fun answering...

Take a look at Mexico Beach with google earth. Right "downtown" you'll find the irregular red roof of the Driftwood Inn. It's the place I mentioned in the aboved quoted post. Highly recommended...

Dave

Until I started this post, I had never heard of Torc, NM.

Just want to be sure. It's Tor C, short for "Truth or Consequences." They voted the name in the late 50s when the show was hot and they were not... Very cool people and place, IMHO.

Dave

Until I started this post, I had never heard of Torc, NM.

Just want to be sure. It's Tor C, short for "Truth or Consequences." They voted the name in the late 50s when the show was hot and they were not... Very cool people and place, IMHO.

Dave

Oh no, I didn't misunderstand TorC. In fact, the reason I mentioned it was because your suggestion led me to invest about 2 hours researching it last night. I looked at the Chamber of Commerce's website, the town website and a few realty listings to get a slight taste of the area.

The Rio Grande and the lake provide for some inspiring scenario. I also like the "Hot Springs" aspect of the town.

Not too mention it seems there is growth potential with personal space travel being born just down the road. Regardless how successful it becomes, it would seem it could bring a lot of revenue to the local area.

Regardless, I was quite interested in what I saw and probably will research it more going forward.

As I said above, I've always known a desert environment is best for my
overall physical health. I stayed in Arizona for 2 weeks when I was a
teenager. Quite honestly, it's one of the most beautiful states I've
ever visited. Only rivaled by Hawaii and Glacier, Montana during my
travels. I like nature's majesty.

This might sound comical, but one of the reasons I've had any second thoughts about a desert climate is grass (lack of). Even with allergies, grass gives me a certain comfort I've grown used to. Even down to the pride of ownership in my home. Even mowing grass can be an endearing thing.