Need Help Chosing Bookshelf Speakers

PittViper

Hi, this is my first post.

I am just starting my a/v system, and I am gonna start out with just the receiver (Denon), and a good pair of bookshelf speakers. I keep looking at the RB-51 II model. I keep gravitating to this speaker. It looks great, it is the right size for my bookshelf, and I hear, from others posts in various forums, that they soiund great.

I would like real users of this speaker to comment of it for me. To be honest, I am now trying to compare it to the Polk LSi7 bookshelf speaker. Can users of thest speakers compare them for me and tell me the plusses and minuses of each model.

I have no way to listen to them prior to buying, so I am taking a leap of faith.

Well, hope to hear from many of you.

Thanks,

Viper

Welcome to the forum. First off, I have a few questions. How will the speaker be used, just for music or eventually be in a home theater? What is your listening style? Tell us a little more so that others can give you some solid advice. All bookself speakers are not meant to be on a bookself. The rear ported speakers need space behind them for optimal function and sound.

The bookshelf speakers will be the front lr speakers of a small av system. I plan to have the two bookshelf speakers on the sides, a center channel, and the sub.

This system will be used for 25% movies/tv/dvd and 75% music. The bookshelf we have is large and open in the back, so ported speakers should work nicely, I think.

What exactly do you mean by listening style?

Viper

I would like real users of this speaker to comment of it for me. To be honest, I am now trying to compare it to the Polk LSi7 bookshelf speaker. Can users of thest speakers compare them for me and tell me the plusses and minuses of each model.

while i am not a owner of this speaker, i have heard them many times as i live right down the road from a klipsch dealer and spend alot of time there. i can tell you that either the rb-51 or the rb-61 will be a great speaker! however i think for the price difference, i would go with the rb-61's. they sound like a much larger speaker than the 51's for sure!! and also not sure if you are aware but if you email or call the guys at acoustic sound design, or sound distributors, they can give you a great deal on these speakers. i think last time i asked about the rb-61ii's i was quoted 399.00 shipped. and that is a great price for that speaker.

• Moderators

The RB-61 is a great speaker. I owned the original version of it and am now wishing I would have kept it. Very detailed and surprising amount of bass from it.

I'm a previous Polk convert. Polk just never did it for me, even in the LSi series. The highs just weren't what I was looking for. I much prefer the Horn loaded Klipsch sound to the soft dome tweeter sound of the Polks. Just my personal preference.

Thanks very much. I am planning on starting my system speaker wise with simply

bookshelf speakers and a sub. I know I want the bookshelf's to be Klipsch from what I've been

reading and from what I have read on here. I like the idea of the RB-61's, as I just measured and

they will fit on the shelves I intend to put them on. Amazon is selling them for $549.00. How

again is it I can get them for $399/shipped? If you could explain this in detail.

Also, the receiver I plan to get is the: Denon AVR-1912. I was also going to get this from Anazon,

but the cost is $436.42, which I thought was a good price, until you educated my on finding deals

with other audio distributors. Do you know if this could be had less expensively?

My budget for just the bookshelf speakers and the sub is about ~800/give or take, taking is nice but

can't add much to that price. So, with this new information, whadda you all think?

Viper

Also, the receiver I plan to get is the: Denon AVR-1912. I was also going to get this from Anazon,

but the cost is $436.42, which I thought was a good price, until you educated my on finding deals

with other audio distributors. Do you know if this could be had less expensively?

399.00 at Crutchfields and free shipping

My budget for just the bookshelf speakers and the sub is about ~800/give or take, taking is nice but

can't add much to that price. So, with this new information, whadda you all think?

Viper

I have the RB-61s and sub for a 2.1 music setup with an old Denon AVR and love it. If you are going to be watching movies, I'd recommend the Denon 1712 or 2112, they both have a better version of Audysey for room correction/eq. Only buy Denon from an authorized Denon retailer, check Denon's website for links.