RS height question

reynolr

I am trying to decide if a pair of rs-42's would work for me. First off the room I am going to put them in is about 20x16 (LxW). Second where I would want to hang them there are double glass sliding doors, so they will need to be mounted nearly all the way to the ceiling. I am not sure if the 52s, will fit above the door, so 42's would be the best fit, if they will do the job. So the question at hand is will the rs-42's be able to both fill the room and be able to work at a higher mounted height? Thanks for your help.

• Moderators

where I would want to hang them there are double glass sliding doors, so they will need to be mounted nearly all the way to the ceiling

I was in the same dilemma as you when putting together my HT. I knew above the door would be WAY to high for optimal positioning. My room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings. I had a friend fabricate a bracket that mounts above the double sliding glass door, drops down behind the curtain and comes through the curtain and mounts to the back of the RS-52's. I originally had the RS-35's and had them mounted for maybe a week when I found a steal on the RS-52's so I bought them and sold the RS-35's. Fortunately, the bracket worked perfect for either speaker.

Take a look here in my build thread. Further down on that page, you can see the actual fabrication here and you can see the RS-52's mounted here.

Below are are just a few of the many photos I shared in my build thread.

bracket1.jpg

This is a shot of the RS-35's mounted with the bracket.

bracket12.jpg

And here is the RS-52's mounted.

rs-52_7.jpg

Pic showing both RS-52's mounted

Back_Wall_small.jpg

If you must mount them that high, I would recommend finding a way to angle them downward some or the sound will just be bouncing around on your ceiling.

And as far as the rs-42 goes itself, it sould be able to fill the room nicely? Also I do not know if a bracket like that would be the best solution in my case (although it looks great in your set-up). My patio doors the speaker will hang over leads to the pool, so lots of traffic and wet kids running in and out. Will tilting the speaker a little work? Maybe getting a shim or two behind it for a slight downward angle?

• Moderators

Gotcha. My doors never get opened since we use the other door around the corner. I think any angle would be better than no angle. With that said, in the above photos, you can see a pair of RB-35's mounted on the back wall for 7.2 system. They didn't last long there. They were absolutely pointless up that high. Hardly ever heard them at all and they were angled down 10 degrees. My ceiling is 10' so they were roughly 8' off the ground.

Nice Youthman, All this time I thought that curtain was just for ambiance! Consider mounting on the sides, islander. I had some in ceiling speakers at our old house and the surround from that height was certainly a weak link. I think ear level or up to two feet above on the 90° or slightly behind listening position is optimal for 5.X surround. To my ears, even with dipoles, I prefer the sound on the sides opposed to mounted on the back wall.

Gotcha. My doors never get opened since we use the other door around the corner. I think any angle would be better than no angle. With that said, in the above photos, you can see a pair of RB-35's mounted on the back wall for 7.2 system. They didn't last long there. They were absolutely pointless up that high. Hardly ever heard them at all and they were angled down 10 degrees. My ceiling is 10' so they were roughly 8' off the ground.

I have my VS 14's near the ceiling and can hear them very well as surround speakers. I perfer them high to space out the sound effect more. They are also heard in multi-channel music as well. This is the exact opposite of my first experience with Front Height speakers which I never heard. I even stood on a chair once to see if they were working, lol. I think it all depends on the room and location of the other speakers. I changed Front Height speakers and location and now I hear them all the time. DPIIz is my most used setting for tv and dvd. BD are played in their native format.

I actually have a similar question. I ended up buying these for my RS-62 IIs. They holes in the back of the speaker line up perfectly with the ones on the mounts. I have yet to put the speakers up, but with these it looks like I can pretty much angle them any way I want. I would like to put them near the ceiling so they are even with the listening position and then just angle them right down at the listening position. The other option is putting them at ear level, but the left and right one wouldn't be straight across from each other because of the opening into the kitchen. What would be the better option? I would think evened up, higher, but angled way down would make for better sound positioning than if they were ear level but not even...Hopefully my description is painting enough of a picture for some advice...

I think you should try it both ways and decide. Even if you have to go somewhat behind the listening position near ear level, I still prefer the surround at this position rather than from above. Speakers mounted near the ceiling in a home theater always sound off balance to me. Then if it gets too far behind, like on a rear wall for a 5.X system, the surround just seems to disappear altogether.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

http://www.soundoctor.com/surround.htm

^^^the problem with me putting it ear level would be one would be in front of the listening position by a few feet. Wouldn't it be better to have them at the same position even if they were pointed downwards? I don't really have the luxury of trying both and deciding which is better. I can try the one where the speakers are uneven and see if it's satisfactory, but after that holes go in the walls so no way to really try the up high pointing down position to see how it sounds before attaching them...I dunno, I have the 2 RS-62 IIs in front of the listening position now, and although it sounds decent I feel like I'm missing some of the surround effect. I guess I'll have to roll the dice and hope I get lucky...It's all good tho, I won't be in this house forever, I can always do it better the next time around.

How high is your ceiling/door frame? My dad has a similar situation and mounted RS-3s above the door - tucked right under the ceiling (about 8' ceiling). Works just fine and is a tidy unobtrusive installation. Same height for the opposite speaker high on the wall.

I decided to move my living room around a little bit to see how it would sound having the speakers be at ear level but not straight across from each other. It seems to be sounding pretty good so I'm sure I'll be happy with the results of putting them that way.

My HT is in the family room and I designed it to sound nice where ever you sit. So, I did not stick to the rules for a sweet spot. The surrounds are slightly behind the main listening spot up high and the surround back is cover by VF 35 towers on the floor, and I let autocalibration takecare of the adjustments. It is a trial and error thing due to room interaction. I think without a dedicated theater room, some slight compromise is needed.

The ceiling is 8ft tall. Now I was planning on putting my couch about 10 ft from the tv (whicih will stick out about 8 inches i am guessing from the wall). The door that I am tryng to hang the speaker over is about 12 ft 10 inches from the "tv wall". So I could put the surrounds (rs-42s) about 2 ft behind the listening position and at a ft or 2 above ear level. then there would be about 6 ft bt the rs-42s and my bookshelves that will be on the back back for 7.1 setup. Does this sound more favorable than mounting them up higher but slanted? i guess it boils down to either 2 ft too high or 2 ft to far back lol

Also thanks for all the replies, that mounting bracket is an interesting suggestion if two ft high beats two ft behind. And trying both is gonna be tough because I am going to be getting the wire ran in the walls, so I want to get it right the first time (since thats how its gonna stay!)