Denton's Rockin it to North Texas

Lonelobo

Gettng ready to go to the Denton Jazz Fest. Remember, it's absolutely free. Today's lineup on the main stage:

2:30 pm

Lynn Seaton

4:00 pm

Mike Drake Quartet

5:30 pm

Keith Anderson

7:00 pm

UNT One O'Clock Lab Band

9:00 pm

Lee Ritenour

Tomorrow's headliner at 9pm is Los Lonely Boys.

Sunday's headliner is Brave Combo.

Weather is awesome. Come join me.

You guys LIE! Denton is boring, what few bars there are feature Myron Floren impersonators. "Downtown" is a square with nothing but old book and junk stores, plus a few dives selling weird "food."

I recommend staying far away. It sucks so bad I moved to HOUSTON to get away!

Dave

Although technically its in the cross timbers and not strictly prairie (this of course adds to it's paradisical nature).

I'll tell you just how badly this godforsaken place gets under your skin. Denton lies, in fact, barely across the line on the prairie side of the crosstimbers. If you wanna get REALLY technical, Lonelobo lives roughly 300 yards into the prairie side as the 'line" is considered to be High Road in Flower Mound.

Frankly, I don't want to hear any more about this Godforsaken college town and all those women...

Dave

Although technically its in the cross timbers and not strictly prairie (this of course adds to it's paradisical nature).

I'll tell you just how badly this godforsaken place gets under your skin. Denton lies, in fact, barely across the line on the prairie side of the crosstimbers. If you wanna get REALLY technical, Lonelobo lives roughly 300 yards into the prairie side as the 'line" is considered to be High Road in Flower Mound.

Frankly, I don't want to hear any more about this Godforsaken college town and all those women...

Dave

Come'on Dave, Tell us how you really feel.... lol...

I massively detest most of Texas but the hill country is the exception. I have seen some amazing shows in Denton TX. Why Denton I am not sure. Brave Combo is definately worth seeing. They are cool.

"... detest most of Texas..." what a sad emotion to express...

I massively detest most of Texas but the hill country is the exception. I have seen some amazing shows in Denton TX. Why Denton I am not sure. Brave Combo is definately worth seeing. They are cool.

Shhh! Boxx, he didn't get the memo that he wasn't invited......

or perhaps he did and is just frustrated.

Shhh! Boxx, he didn't get the memo that he wasn't invited......

or perhaps he did and is just frustrated.
Oh... thanks... Now I can start enjoying Friday night... Pour me up one....

Uh oh it seems I've offended most of the Texans. Not one of my wisest moves.

Let's just say growing up I've spent too much time in Stephenville, Dublin, Midland Odessa, Amarillo, Lubbuck, Houston, and Dallas. Dallas I still visit often and have fun. I'd rather listen to Bose than go back to Odessa LOL..... The hill country Austin and San Antonio and surrounding area is one of my favorite places in the US. I think Austin is the coolest southern city.

Guess it is a bad time to ask who is going to Lone Star Audio Fest [:$]

I massively detest most of Texas...

It's a terrible place to live: tell your friends and neighbors not to move here: seti said so. [;)]

Chris [:)]

I massively detest most of Texas...

It's a terrible place to live: tell your friends and neighbors not to move here: seti said so. Wink

Chris Smile

Hear, Hear! Especially Denton. Once you cross that city line your life is ruined, spent in a haze of music, partying, women who absolutely do not know their place, bizarre ideas of all kinds. It's so unworldy that if you have a problem you genearlly wind up dealing directly with the person in charge, who is very polite and warm. Granted, nothing changes but it really FEELS good.

I was SO lucky to escape...

Dave

PS - To prove my point, I should say that this city with Sirens at the gates is the reincarnation of Austin in the late 60s or so. If that don't keep you away the may God have mercy on your soul.

Let's just say growing up I've spent too much time in Stephenville, Dublin, Midland Odessa, Amarillo, Lubbuck, Houston, and Dallas. Dallas I still visit often and have fun. I'd rather listen to Bose than go back to Odessa LOL..... The hill country Austin and San Antonio and surrounding area is one of my favorite places in the US. I think Austin is the coolest southern city.

Guess it is a bad time to ask who is going to Lone Star Audio Fest Embarrassed

My dad was born in Dublin... I'll admit it is no shinning star.... lol..

Guess it is a bad time to ask who is going to Lone Star Audio Fest Embarrassed

My dad was born in Dublin... I'll admit it is no shinning star.... lol..
I do remember that Ben Hogan was from Dublin.... Score one for you golfers....

Last night in between sets you could spin a wheel for prizes at the KNTU (student run jazz station) and I won a CD Titled "Circa 1960" by a Record Company dear to my heart, 90th Floor Records. The 90th Floor Club was a famous short lived jazz club in Dallas that was frequented by all the greats of the time when they flew cross country and had layovers in Dallas. It was run by Dick and Liz Harp who had a small jazz group. Liz sang and they were quite good. So good that they recorded a couple of performances. This was a real jazz club, if you talked during a set you were asked to leave. Then Liz was struck by a brain hemorage and died suddenly. If I remember correctly, she was in her 30's. 90th Floor Records released the recordings as 2 lp's, then the club closed and the 90th Floor became just a legend. But 90th Floor Records was resurrected ny one of Dicks family and they reissued the lp's. However, the masters had been destroyed in a fire so at least one of the albums was remastered from the best lp copy they could find.

This CD was a great surprise then for me, since I didn't know if they were still actively releasing music. I'm listening to it right now and it's awesome. The very first University of North Texas lab bands were called Lab Dance Bands. The first 5 cuts are from Gene Hall's last concert as director of the program in 1959(he was the first director). Stunning big band performances that are very musical. Essentially the predecessor of the Grammy award winning One O'clock Lab Band, they were known then as "Lab Band A"

Cut 6 isDick Harp's 90th Floor Quartet which I assume is after Liz passed, but not sure. It includes a jazz cello...remarkable.

Next cuts are from the 90th Floor sessions and feature the Paul Guerrero Quintet and Jane Ames.

Then more with the Harvey Anderson Quartet.

Then a live performance in the club by Harvey Anderson "Gig Qartet"

And finally, 4 cuts from Ann Richards and Trio that are breathtaking and I've never heard of her.

Anyway, the reason I posted this is to encourage everyone to look for regional recordings that never get press. There's some great stuff out there that just gets passed over by the general public and the media machine that deserves serious listening. I'm assuming you can go to www.90thfloorrecords.com and still get this.

Someday, I will try to find the original address just for kicks.