Grass Roots Movement - STARTS HERE!

I would like our federal government to do something that would be very simple and cost very little. Somehow, I think they will not for reasons we all know well.

I would like to see the following link work:

www.buyamerican.gov

Yes I know there are individuals, non-profits, and unions doing this, but what about our elected leadership?

I think it is the will of 95% of the United States voting population. It should be a no-brainer!

I doubt the Federal Government even pays for domains. The only cost to them would be keeping the site updated.

Your thoughts...? Yes, Klipsch would be on the site, and proudly!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to add, there is a site buyusa.gov, but look at the description:

Are you interested in expanding your business? The U.S. Commercial Service helps U.S. companies find new international business partners in worldwide markets.

If you're outside the U.S. and looking for U.S. suppliers, our services can help you find U.S. suppliers of products and services.

Locate your local U.S. Commercial Service office in over 100 U.S. cities or in nearly 80 countries around the world for more information about our international business services

I realize American is a misnomer, so sorry folks in Canada, and other Amercan countries.

Your United Stater friend,

Craig

The real question is how much american are you buying when you "buy american"

Do I get .001% american made for my $ or do I get 100% I'm willing to bet most are to the extreme left

While klipsch may assemble a select few products in hope how much of their
business really comes from the outside areas, hopes at best a pebble in
the ocean

Not
to put what they do down as I enjoy their products to a large degree
but in some regard hope almost represents a last standing failed model for us in how we let it all slip away

The real kicker would be fixing tax loopholes and penelizing
businesses that dont meet a certain threshold of american production in % but then we pay more for products because labor costs increase. I bet
if you ask america if they want increased product costs right now 95% of the voting population
will say no

Elite,

Let companies who want to be listed on the site be required to publish a "Made in America" webpage which lists manufacturing specifications, as the car manufacturers do. Read the "American Automobile Labeling Act". I certainly don't think involvement on this site should be mandated, and frankly we all know most people are still not going to buy American made because they can get it cheaper as an import made by child labor with no safety standards, and no regard for the environment, etc. It has, however, been demonstrated to be an effective tool in selling cars domestically, so it stands to reason that some of the people who are on the cost fringe between foreign manufacture and domestic assembly, may hop on over to the domestic side. Perhaps that is what Klipsch did with its' Palladium line when it moved it back. Every item a company wishes to have listed as American Made would have to keep a current webpage for that item detailing it's component sources as well as it's finally assembly percentage of completion.

Companies who are deliberately 100% American Made, would find it very easy to develop and maintain these pages. Simplicity of building the pages would incentivize companies who are close to 100%, to go ahead and find domestic sources for the rest.

We still have the best infrastructure in the free world. We are poised to produce more, and keep more of the money here in the states. The simple fact of the matter is that we have debt because we ship our money out of the country and borrow it back. Taxable revenue is the building block to a fiscally responsible economy. Manufacturing and consumerism have been two primary sources for that revenue. For the past few decades, we have become consumers only. That's half the taxable revenue!

I would like to see the following link work:

www.buyamerican.gov

This link doesn't work for me. That's why I equated it to Government.

Sorry, my message wasn't clear to you. The idea is for the US government to utilize this domain name to encourage domestic manufacturing and maintain a trusted source for shoppers who which to shop in a patriotic way. The website does not work cause there isn't one.

Sorry, my message wasn't clear to you. The idea is for the US government to utilize this domain name to encourage domestic manufacturing and maintain a trusted source for shoppers who which to shop in a patriotic way. The website does not work cause there isn't one.

Okay. I get it now. Fwiw, I don't know of any American that isn't trained to "shop America first," but just because it's "made in America," doesn't make it a trusted source. I agree with the other dude that Americans will shop for quality first and it would be great if it were made in the USA...Insofar as Klipsch Speakers are concerned, my guess is the vast majority of theirs and their conglomerates sales manufactured didn't originate over here, but I don't hold that against them or our Government. Btw, It wouldn't cost much to secure a Domain Name but that's the easy part...

Okay. I get it now. Fwiw, I don't know of any American that isn't trained to "shop America first," but just because it's "made in America," doesn't make it a trusted source. I agree with the other dude that Americans will shop for quality first and it would be great if it were made in the USA...Insofar as Klipsch Speakers are concerned, my guess is the vast majority of theirs and their conglomerates sales manufactured didn't originate over here, but I don't hold that against them or our Government. Btw, It wouldn't cost much to secure a Domain Name but that's the easy part...

It would be a worthwhile effort, unless it turns into a beaurocratic beast like the health care bill or the tax code.

The only audio company that still manufactures their product here in the good old USA is McIntosh Labs.

That isn't completely true. There are many mom and pop manufacturers for instance Bob Carver amps, Bob Crites crossovers, and Volti speakers. Do they use 100% American components? It's unlikely. How could they, since there aren't any to choose from. With automation tools like robotic arms and advanced CNC machines, high quality components like network components, and drivers, can be made at a very competetive cost. There would be a higher up front cost, but quality would be better, and running costs would be very low.

The problem I have seen first hand is that when an American plant's line is getting aged and in need of complete replacement. At that point a decision is made which is based on many variables such as tool up cost, where to build the line if in the same plant, labor costs including training and turnover, transportation, quality control, component sourcing, primary market reqions. Almost every variable is related to the total cost of production. As it stands right now Made in America isn't one of those variables, except as to be convenient for the committee planning the new line.

Why? Because they need to stay competetive. Big companies cannot rely on the small percentage of bouquet spenders. Small companies, however, can rely on those consumers. The answer? For large companies like Klipsch get the costs down for American made goods by automating, and use some of that ridiculously low interest money. Build the line in a Right to Work state. Get as much help as the government is willing to give. It is amazing the lengths municipalities will go to get "good jobs". Just stop at ANY economic development site anywhere.

FYI, I am not a fan on unions. I think they tip the scales toward China as much as any factor in history. They should pack up and organize China. That would be the patriotic thing to do.

Guest " "

I tried to buy that domain name buy I can't find a soruce of authority for it. I also tried to buy buyamerican.us, but that was taken.

The idea is for the US government to utilize this domain name to encourage domestic manufacturing and maintain a trusted source for shoppers who which to shop in a patriotic way. The website does not work cause there isn't one.

Somehow I'm not convinced that the gov't. has any interest in promoting domestic manufacturing. As an example, consider GE's move of their x-ray division from Wisconsin to China where they are expected to invest 2 billion dollars (and GE's CEO is one of the "job czars"):

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundeconomywithjontalton/2015732625_the_presidents_jobs_czar_is_do.html

I
certainly don't think involvement on this site should be mandated, and
frankly we all know most people are still not going to buy American made
because they can get it cheaper as an import made by child labor with
no safety standards, and no regard for the environment, etc. It has,
however, been demonstrated to be an effective tool in selling cars
domestically, so it stands to reason that some of the people who are on
the cost fringe between foreign manufacture and domestic assembly,
may hop on over to the domestic side.

FYI, I am not a fan on unions. I think they tip the scales toward China as much as any factor in history. They should pack up and organize China. That would be the patriotic thing to do.

Orginized labor has been beneficial for tons of things including your comments above be it safety standards or 40 hour work weeks. Even non union people have benefited from unions work establishing fair employment practices for all, most seem to forget this. While I'm not a union member our state removed unions out of force. It does tip the scales towards any other country because equality in a workplace costs extra money like you mentioned. I'm sure chinese employees would be happy to have the equality we have but their govt dictates otherwise, quite similiar to our state.

When you factor in that Bob a non union labor employee can make 20-30 hr working a line with benefits or Pedro can make 1.50 it becomes simple economics when they can produce in mexico or china at a rate of 10 times cheaper. Unions at this point hardly affect companies choosing to go overseas with exception to when companies want to reduce employee pay by 50% and the organized labor rejects it. Ours just got axed by 20% overnight with no ability or recourse to stop it, somehow the ones at the top still got raises, wish I had a union. Organize china, I say definitely

The entire world should be organized, just as corporations are global. Good points demo, unions were created because of owner/manager exploitation, so it's no surprise corporations are investing in places where exploitation is still a way of doing business.

• Moderators

Somehow I'm not convinced that the gov't. has any interest in promoting domestic manufacturing. As an example, consider GE's move of their x-ray division from Wisconsin to China where they are expected to invest 2 billion dollars (and GE's CEO is one of the "job czars"):

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundeconomywithjontalton/2015732625_the_presidents_jobs_czar_is_do.html

I think you hit the nail on the head. The government will never sponsor such a website because the Fortune 500 companies would be dead set against it, and so too then would the politicians and the political party that tends to receive a lot of support from corporate america.

I have been going to a websites I have found googling "buy american" and "made in U.S.A", and you find a great list of stuff.

Filson clothing, although some is being made off shore these days, Oxxford suits, dress shoes by Alden Shoes and Allen Edmonds, boots by Luchesse, but only the hand mades, Basis Turntables, Lucky Jeans (they are going off shore too, so you have to watch), New Balance running shoes, Gerstner Tool chests (they have an off shore line too now). There are a lot of great brands, high quality stuff, that is made in USA if you look, but it costs more then imported.

Here is one site as an example that will tell you: http://www.americansworking.com/index.html

As a policy matter, if you want to encourage buying american you typically would offer a tax credit for buying certain goods, or a tariff (tax) on buying imported goods. We cannot impose a tariff on goods from China because they own too much of our debt right now. Which leaves only giving a tax credit for buying american goods, and you won't see that happening because of what I originally stated about corporate america being against "buying american."

But people don't really care about buying American, or creating American jobs do they? They still shop at Walmart by the droves, they led the charge to sourcing in China after Sam died. Economics is a very, very interesting subject to me. What if you offered a tax credit on goods made in USA goods with a cap of say $7,500 for a joint return, half for a single filer? You could even limit it to more big ticked items like cars, furniture, speakers, new home purchase (newly constructed home). There would of course need to be regulations to define what "Made in USA" means, can it be imported cloth or can it, what percentage, if any, of foreign parts can be used, etc.. It certainly has been discussed and thought about by policy makers, But it goes nowhere. Instead, big companies what credits for capital investments. They say they should get the credits so they can ramp up on manufacturing, retool, modernize which would create more jobs.

I don't know what the answer is, or why this wasn't tired instead of stimulus.

Travis

The Fortune 500 does not represent the grass roots. In my original post, I stated the doubt that the federal government would embrace the idea, and I said I wasn't going to go into details. What is important here isn't the bottom line of these big companies today. What is important is that they be incentivized to keep some of that money here in the US. In my opinion, this shouldn't be an act of Congress. This should be done by the Dept. of Commerce. They have about 45,000 employees. Sure to God a couple of them could throw something like this together in a weekend.

By the way, I had a unionized company, and sat across the negotiating table from them for 25 years. What finally drove us out of that business was that we became uncompetetive. At the beginning of every contract negotiation, I would ask the same basic question. Have you organized any of my competitors yet? The answer was always the same. No! On a bigger scale, the US isn't competetive due to union interference. If the unions want to do some REAL good, let them go organize our competitors! rant over...

[:)]