Need a new receiver

roaddog359

• Moderators

Ok, so I verified my xover settings:

I had the Xover on the subs both at 120Hz. The xover switch is currently set to "In" but I'm assuming I probably should change it to "Out" since the xover in the subs are not being use anyways? The subwoofer xover on the UMC-1 was set at 80Hz. I didn't realize this was the "LFE" setting so I now have it at 120Hz. I had my mains set to Full, I put them at 80Hz for now. Family is asleep so I'll play with the settings another day and let you know what I hear.

• Moderators

Thanks everyone, I have a better idea now of what's going on. [Y]

Somewhere on the forum there should be a place with explanations for things like this, not to post but just info.

Should I Set My Speakers to Large or Small?
People always ask
this question. The answer is very simple. If you own a subwoofer that outputs
good bass sound, you should set all your speakers to SMALL. In general, if you
own a subwoofer, it may be wise to set all your speakers to small for several
reasons:

1. When there is an overlap of bass sound from the front speakers and the
    subwoofer, you will get bloated and boomy bass.
  2. A subwoofer can play low frequencies all the way down to 20Hz or lower. Even
    relatively large front speakers cannot go that low.
  3. The placement of a sub in a room is the primary factor in receiving good
    bass sound. You cannot adjust the position of the front speakers and move them
    to the side or back.
  4. If the subwoofer and the front speakers play the same bass frequencies,
    there will be a possibility of phase cancellation of certain bass frequencies.
  5. Redirecting the bass to the subwoofer relieves the receiver/amplifier from
    having to work on reproducing the low frequencies and this greatly improves the
    headroom.
  6. If you are using the Audyssey MultEQ calibration, you will get much better
    bass performance because the MultEQ subwoofer filters have 8x higher resolution
    than the filters for the other speakers.
People have a psycological
difficulty with the word SMALL. They have spent good money on their front
speakers and get insulted when the AVR sets them to SMALL. Remember that this is
not a personal insult against you or your speakers. My Definitive Technology
front speakers have 15" built-in subwoofers with built-in 300 watt amplifiers.
In addition to those, I have six external subwoofers in my HT room. When I set
the front speakers to SMALL, the quality of the sound (both music and movies)
improves.

It is helpful to redefine the words SMALL and LARGE
to:

LARGE = The speakers are not Bass Managed.
SMALL = The speakers
are Bass Managed.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817

• Moderators

thx roaddog

here are my UMC-1 settings now

front @ 60hz

center @ 60hz

surround @ 50hz

subwoofer @ 120hz

front xover slope @ 12dB

center xover slope @ 12dB

surround xover slope @ 12dB

subwoofer xover slope @ 24dB

Thats where I am at but I just switched my center to 80 hz. to try that as that is what was suggested to me from svs. I have not listened enough to tell if the center is better at 60 or 80 or somewhere in the middle. I think I like the 60 hz for the speakers, now I just need to finalize the center. I dont think you want as much lows going to the center, thats why they recommended 80hz even though the rc-64 can go lower.

From the Audyssey FAQ on AVS:

c)5. What is the LPF of LFE and what should it be set to?

First of all, Audyssey doesnt touch this setting. Neither is it a Crossover, although you will often see it described as such. It stands for Low Pass Filter of the Low Frequency Effects Channel. The Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel is the .1 in a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 audio track and it carries special content put there by the content mixer. The Low Pass Filter is the filter that is applied to that content. The content is authored up to 120Hz so the only setting that is correct for this is 120Hz. If you set it to anything below 120Hz then any content between 120Hz and whatever you set it to is lost. It is not redirected anywhere it is simply discarded. This filter has nothing to do with any speaker Crossovers etc and it is not set by Audyssey. The only reason it is in the FAQ is that people often think that Audyssey has set it and they confuse it with their speaker Crossovers. Just set it at 120Hz and leave it there.

Well, I finally placed my order for the SVS PB-13 Ultra in american cherry! Hope its a good match to the klipsch cherry finish? Now I have to figure out how to run both subs out of the umc-1 since it only has 1 sub input. I have my svs rosenut one connected using the xlr connection now.

• Moderators

Congrats Roaddog. I think you are going to enjoy having two subs.

Now I have to figure out how to run both subs out of the umc-1 since it only has 1 sub input.

I have one connected with RCA and the other connected with XLR. You can also use a simple Y adapter (see image below). I believe I remember Lonnie saying somewhere that the UMC-1 sub out has enough signal to hook up to 6 subs to the one sub out.

DTL_CYA-1M2F-P_MAIN.jpg

Congrats Roaddog. I think you are going to enjoy having two subs.

Now I have to figure out how to run both subs out of the umc-1 since it only has 1 sub input.

I have one connected with RCA and the other connected with XLR. You can also use a simple Y adapter (see image below). I believe I remember Lonnie saying somewhere that the UMC-1 sub out has enough signal to hook up to 6 subs to the one sub out.

DTL_CYA-1M2F-P_MAIN.jpg

Thanks Youth, I was able to squeak it by the WAF, by saying it will match my speakers! Her reply was so you want TWO new ones? Dummy me said no only one! I may have been able to pull 2 SVS subs out of that! Darn it, thats what I get for not thinking fast on my feet. I have seen that Y-cable, I just dont know where to get one from? Also you think it works ok to do rca and xlr for each sub? Thought they would have to go through the same type connection?

• Moderators

I have seen that Y-cable, I just dont know where to get one from?

Try here. Just make sure you have one male and two female if you want to connect both subs via RCA to the UMC-1. Then you will need (2) Male to Male RCA cables (one for each sub).

Also you think it works ok to do rca and xlr for each sub?

Yes, the UMC-1 can send both XLR and RCA sub out simultaneously with no problems. The only thing that might be different is how much gain (not sure if that is the right term) from each format (rca vs xlr). In other words, one signal "might" be higher than the other causing both subs not to play the same dB.

Ok, I just went into the HT and performed the following test to see if one source is "hotter" than the other.

With both subs at 1/2 volume, the sub hooked up via RCA was 3dB louder than the sub hooked up via XLR. I tested this simply by using the test tones in the UMC-1 and my SPL meter and turning only one sub on at a time to get a dB reading. With both subs playing, they were 3dB louder together vs using a single sub so I had to turn my subs down by 3dB to match the levels of my other speakers.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

Should we start a new thread dealing with Xovers since we have pretty much derailed this thread? I'm just glad the OP was the one who started the derailing. [:P] Only reason I mention it is that is to help keep the forum organized.

• Moderators

I am very greaful for the conversation we have had within this thread, particularly dealing with xover settings. I believe I have a much better understanding of how it works.

I had read in the Emo forums that the UMC-1 had poor "bass management". I really had no idea what that was until now. It basically is saying it doesn't do a good job setting xover frequencies. Maybe that's why it set my RC-64 at 60Hz and my RS-52's at 50Hz?