Need a new receiver

roaddog359

I have no experience with the UMC-1, but some pre-amp may set a lower than expected x-o for a surround speaker on a wall near a ceiling due to boundry gain. Either way the pre-amp should adjust the frequency response accordingly. I use I dentical Front Height and side surround speakers and the avr set the surround to large (VS 14) which as a low frequency extension of 92 Hz. and the Front Heights to small. The Front Heights get nothing lower than 250 Hz and the surrounds get nothing lower than 125 Hz after setting all speakers to small with the avr for bass management. Works great!

• Moderators

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think when I get my sub I am going to go into the setting and do it all manually and measure my distances and set xovers ect.

Nothing wrong with using EmoQ as a starting point, then make adjustments. I know my distances were off.

I posted my Xover settings a page or two back. Since our discussion, I did change my "Subwoofer" xover on the UMC-1 to 120Hz.

Where I was getting confused and why I thought 120Hz was way too high was in the area of 2ch. I was thinking with the "Subwoofer Xover" set at 120Hz, my sub would play 120Hz and below. What I didn't realize until this thread was that was the .1 or LFE channel and only applied to movies. When I set the UMC-1 to 2ch, the "Subwoofer Xover" is not used and the UMC-1 then uses the "Front L/R Xover" to determine what frequencies to send to the sub. In my case, I have the Front L/R set to 60Hz so in 2ch, my sub will receive 60Hz and below, even though the "Subwoofer Xover" is set to 120Hz.

Yeah! I'm finally understanding how this stuff works! I love learning something new. This forum is awesome and even though I've been around here for awhile, I still continue to learn from others. What a great community.

Connecting two subs to a .1 avr, can be done with 2 RCA cords and y-connectors. Then set the sub to zero sound level in the avr. Next, cut one sub off and adjust the spl to 72-74 with one sub turned off and then repeat the procedure for the next sub. Then run auto-calibration and that should be good. I find the level matching technique works well for my system. One last comment. the LPF in general refers only to the subwoofer/LFE channel and x-o settings of the other speakers in a HT are not impacted by the LPF setting of 120 Hz.

• Moderators

One last comment. the LPF in general refers only to the subwoofer/LFE channel and x-o settings of the other speakers in a HT are not impacted by the LPF setting of 120 Hz.

That was the part that I wasn't understanding until this thread. I have been enlightened. [:P]

• Moderators

What I didn't realize until this thread was that was the .1 or LFE channel and only applied to movies.

What about concert DVD's, don't they have LFE, if so even those played back in 2 CH may have some LFE ?

Many concert DVDs do have .1 lfe. If you choose the stereo output in the DVD menu you will hear everything.If you were to choose 5.1 in the DVD menu but played it on a stereo set up you would be missing the lfe channel.

• Moderators

Thanks, but its not as good looking as your avatar picture!

A face only another monkey could love, like my distant cousin Ivanheard.

I wonder how they make that rounded corner, plywood does not look like that when rounded off ?

Thanks, but its not as good looking as your avatar picture!

A face only another monkey could love, like my distant cousin Ivanheard.

I wonder how they make that rounded corner, plywood does not look like that when rounded off ?

I dunno if even another monkey could love it =^P My guess would be thicker wood, cut like that, sanded down.

Okay, those of you that have been following this thread, I just want to let you know that the SVS PB-13 Ultra Subwoofer in American Cherry is secheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Now I just need to try and find the room to run dual subs and where to place it? I could stack them, but WAF may not like that! I think I will have to try and buy as smaller entertainment center and squeeze it between that and my right front speaker, since the other one is by the left front speaker. What do you guys think, that run duals?