AutoCAD ...

Marvel

Dogonit, WC, there you go again making my memories into dope dreams...[;)]

I was using DOS RAM drives in the late 80's quite successfully for a number of things. On the Amiga, even more so as there was a Fred Fish ASDG RAMDrive that would stay good even through a warm reboot. The OS was so small and efficient one could copy it to the RAMdrive on cold start, alias the boot drive to the RAMDisk, then have reboots if required during the day in a matter of a few seconds. I also employed this for my first interactive kiosk program for UNOCAL in 1990. The sales guys loved it as it booted directly to the program with a push of the power switch. It could be carried in a case and then connect to a rental monitor via RGB or S-Video.

Seems I recall a RAMdrive even on CP/M machines.

Dave

Thanks Bruce.....! (WACI?)

You guys are going to cause me to dig out my old box of STUFF.....Which is in here somewhere.......! I have NO doubt there were some type of RAM devices for special applications....they were not mainstream in 89...and I do not profess to know everything about everything.....! I still have my original Comodore 54 and Zenith stuff here somewhere........[:D]

Hopefully thios will be an informative and fun thread.....and Wiki is not the sole source for accurate information...Just saying..

...and Wiki is not the sole source for accurate information...Just saying..

Agreed, But my memory is...[:P]

Let's talk about what WAS slow. High res printing. I got my first 24 pin printer while in at NUS and was thrilled at the quality. However, really complex AutoCAD and similar stuff took hours. Memory doesn't tell me now whether it was the mechanics of those pin printers or whether it was the computer...though seems like our first 300 dpi laser printer (2500.00, I think) was MUCH faster.

Of course, our Amigas were MUCH faster at everything and blew away the RGB and new 16 color mode of the IBMs with it's 4096 color HAM mode.

Brings to mind my "theory" of how things MIGHT have been.

IBM/Wintel was designed from OTS stuff as an office computer. Excellent for word processing, spreadsheets and such but awful for graphics then as well as now.

The Commodore raster based systems were superb for video as video was their native mode and the multitasking system excellent for 3D, animations, paint, and such.

Apple got it's toehold in print with Lisa. However, at 10k these weren't so cool for the rest of the market but for professional layout it was a bargain and gained Apple a loyal following.

If Gate's had just been a computer loving nerd like those who built Apple and Commodore we'd have at least three OS's right now instead of two. Apple still owns the print business outright due to that early foothold and the nearly user transparent, very rigidly controlled user interface that the artsy fartsy crowd loves and needs. Of course it was, and remains, pretty useless architecture for the computer experimenter. Not even a command line...

The Amiga came within months of being the broadcast and video OS of choice. When Commodore imploded (or was looted...still discussion of how these idiots snatched defeat from the jaws of victory) there was an Amiga in almost every video production house in the country, thanks to the nature of the OS itself as well as the NewTek Video Toaster which launched the desktop video revolution.

Wintel was the device of choice for enterprise and office use, and that enabled Gates to do an end run around both Apple and Commodore on the consumer front...as well as Atari, CP/M and others. Few of us saw it coming and there really wasn't much we could have done anyway. A "white knight" able to pickup Commodore's intellectual assets immediately could have kept that machine alive based on it's broadcast use (there were about the same number of Amigas in place as Macs at that time) and some of that community still believe that Gates somehow had a hand in preventing that. There are still hundreds of thousands of Amiga diehards world wide with the "Save your Kickstart disks, the Amy shall live again" forelorn hope. Aside from video, that machine would likely have had a big share of the consumer market with it's video and audio friendly features and superb GUI.

Final note on the Amiga: In 1995 we built an Amiga with both a Macintosh and an IBM daughter cards on board. It could simultaneously run all three OS as well as transfer information between them. Crash one and the others remained unaffected. Talk about the best of all possible worlds!

Those were the "wild west" days and we had a LOT of fun.

Dave

Dave

I timed the 200 mHz DOS 5 machine we have that uses Release 12 c2 for ACAD. It takes 14 sec to boot, just under 3 sec to load the ACAD menu, and under 4 sec to bring up the drawing editor.

Compare those numbers to a 2gHz XP machine on the next desk: over 2 min to boot, then 58 sec to get into the ACAD 2002 home page.

The box score: less than 30 sec for the old DOS stuff almost 3 min for the Windows based system before one can be productive.

Now I'm sure that newer, faster Windows machines will boot and load faster, but think what would happen if you loaded DOS on such a machine. It would totally blow the newer stuff away, I'll bet. If you do not need 3D or any of the features that the latest ACAD version offers, a step back in time will result in a more stable, trouble free setup. Or at least, it's been that way for us the last 15 years.

Completely agree, DR. There are SO many apps that have zero need for anything Windows has to offer. Solids modeling, print layout, video editing...and many more.

Consider that DOS is essentially frozen in time and without ever getting remotely close to Windows bloat one could add networking and software swapping. As I mentioned, Software Carousel was an excellent cooperative multitasking program with very low latency, and Novell and another, cheaper alternative whose name I forget had networking software that worked just fine.

However, I suspect the Powers that Be have such things so bottled up one couldn't do it if you wanted.

Wonder what happened to the DRDOS intellectual property? Probably really don't want to know...

Dave

This is the machine that I am currently on: Intel Cor Duo T2700 CPU 2.33 gHz (2 CPU's) 4 gHz of RAM I built two of these things and I love them. They have the Aopen mini boards I954Gtm-VHL Dual Core processor.

I have AutoCAD 2002, AutoCAD 2012 and Autodesk Inventor. Just ran a test on loading times to draw screen

2002 - 7 seconds

2012 - 12

Inventor - 9

That totally surprised me as I have never actually timed them. Just for giggles I did Word and it was instantaneous.....maybe one second....On the Quad Core they are all immediate

Dave,

Only you would believe this....I am sitting here listening to bach as I type.....Three months ago, there was an EV speaker that I bought and this guy also had a couple of hundred tapes that he wanted to move. We negotiated dawn to about fifty cents apiece. Claude delivered everything a couple of weeks ago and i finally got to open the boxes today. Well, I am as excited as a Flea on a St. benard...The below picture is what I am listerning to and there are about a hundred more of these:

post-57654-13819737997756_thumb.jpg

post-57654-1381976865343_thumb.jpg

post-57654-13819795668754_thumb.jpg

My XP machine boots in less than 30 seconds, and win7 is good enough to just use sleep mode, which boots in like 5 seconds. A raw boot is still under 30 seconds. Btw, keep in mind that the computer is checking "everything" during boot....your DOS machine would take way longer to boot because the memory sizes are way bigger - not to mention there's way less processing power available. Win7 with an iX processor is easily one of the best solutions available....

Win7 with an iX processor is easily one of the best solutions available....

For what problem, Mike? For what do I need anything Windows has to offer for video editing, programming, solids modeling, print layout, or server duty? What does it offer the several hundred million users who do none of the above except browse, do word processing, and such?

My issue is not so much with the operating system, but with the entire "one size fits nobody" approach. Doesn't it make sense to have a number of various levels depending on the users needs?

I am a sys admin professional user, and every install defaults to the lowest dumb level of hidden folders, extension, blocks on read/write to certain directores, in short, an endless litany of time consuming useless crap that is completely frustrating.

Further, at these processor speeds boot up should be AT LEAST as fast as a Commodore 64...and it isn't.

Dave

Further, at these processor speeds boot up should be AT LEAST as fast as a Commodore 64...and it isn't.

You have selective memory loss.

The C64 booted totally from ROM which Windows doesn't do. Not a fair comparison.

Maybe you should thank Xerox for the slower user interface, but frankly, I like the newest version of Windows. My silly dual core cpu boots to the login prompt in30 seconds, with maybe another 15 from login to my desktop. My browser opens in three seconds.

Bruce