AutoCAD ...

Marvel

Win7 with an iX processor is easily one of the best solutions available....

For what problem, Mike? For what do I need anything Windows has to offer for video editing, programming, solids modeling, print layout, or server duty? What does it offer the several hundred million users who do none of the above except browse, do word processing, and such?

My issue is not so much with the operating system, but with the entire "one size fits nobody" approach. Doesn't it make sense to have a number of various levels depending on the users needs?

I am a sys admin professional user, and every install defaults to the lowest dumb level of hidden folders, extension, blocks on read/write to certain directores, in short, an endless litany of time consuming useless crap that is completely frustrating.

Further, at these processor speeds boot up should be AT LEAST as fast as a Commodore 64...and it isn't.

Dave

When you do mechanical design, are you only running Autocad?

The C64 booted totally from ROM which Windows doesn't do. Not a fair comparison

Absolutely. OS from ROM or other non-mechanical source was and remains the obvious way to go. Try getting a virus into that...

Windows, and Mac as well, continue to use incredibly unreliable and inefficient swap drives and VRAM that really isn't long after static RAM or even dynamic RAM with better written code could have radically improved performance.

Further, I still maintain that 90% of the features of these OS systems are completely useless to the majority of everyday users. Not only useless, but they create the majority of problems for the common user even though they add nothing to the experience but bugs and wait times.

There were a number of OS systems up to the 90s that, with technology updating, would perform circles around the two dominant systems.

For many of us who depend on these things for a living the past 15 years has been a litany of lost capabilities, increasing costs, and "security" fixes required due to the obsolete and easily hacked technology that have the systems locked down to the point you are more and more limited as to useful functions.\

As I write, I have an emergency notification system I've coded to trigger on all computers, digital signage, and such in our facility. The code wasn't hard, but getting around all the security BS Big Brother has foisted on us took days. And they'll probably mess with those at some point as well.

I've told the story before about how cool I found it as computers first began to trinkle into the hands of the general public. It really hit me one day in the mid 80s when I saw a cowboy with a shopping cart with everyday stuff in a Denton, TX K-Mart pause for a moment and drop a blister packed sub-100.00 Commodore 64 in his cart and move on. With it, he could play music, games, write a book, do his taxes...pretty much anything one can do today and better sound, graphics, web connectivity and such wouldn't have been too bloating on those systems. Mine at the time had a 7 ROM cart on the back and i could switch programs at the touch of a button. One had RAM so I could copy text or pix to "clipboard" to use in the other programs. Of course, the intellectual property was quite secure and copying only open to the few nerds with a ROM reader/writer, so the extreme lock downs weren't a problem and you could buy a single ROM and plug it into any handy computer.

Now that cowboy has to spend a LOT more money for stuff he doesn't need, then spend more to get someone to fix issues he shouldn't have.

All just the observations and opinions of a crotchety ol' fart, so please just ignore. While I'd like to see changes before I am done I am at least satisfied that hardware technology is finally accelerating at a pace even the wizards of Redmond and Cupertino can't bog down as they once did. However, the certainly did succeed in holding back this wonderful machinery from where we could have been by now.

Dave

Ho Boy. AutoCad.

I started using AutoCad in 1984. By 1988 I was an AutoCad dealer/value-added reseller selling into the architecture-engineering-construction (AEC) market. Also was a VAR for AT&T Graphic Sofware Labs and Truevision integrating video imaging and CADD systems. I still have my AutoCAD 2.0 manuals and such, just for posterity sake.

Even though I've left the AEC profession and no longer practice I still have my whole house and property on ACAD. Hell, I even have my HO model railroad and it's expansion plans on ACAD!

However, all was not lost as much of the AutoCAD programing I learned came into use later in trading where I've had to "program the program", such as Metastock to have it do what I need to do. Since the financial crisis architects have the highest unemployment rate of all the "college professions" anyway, so no loss there. Instead of my 401K turning into a 201K like most everyone else's, I went through the crisis like it wasn't there. I guess I owe it all to AutoCad? [*-)]

You know, guys, the one answer we won't see happen that would be best for all us serious computer users is the long forgotten Windows runtime. In retrospect, it was like the drug salesman handing out "free" samples of heroin. As soon as the market was sufficiently "hooked," byebye Windows runtime and you were left without a choice.

No advantage at all to users, purely a marketing ploy to lock down the OS market and kill competition. Worked beyond their wildest dreams and created a massive industry, completely useless except to service all the problems created.

Dave

Here is an Autocad file I both designed and digitized... 2000i.

Just incase you wanted ot know what is possible in autocad.

156"x156"

Design:

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/original_305273_uzApscwpKDQaVPyzTI96WJr_x.jpg

original_305273_uzApscwpKDQaVPyzTI96WJr_

Digitized File:

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/original_305273_1HPa8EzvKIsFb_asdRuIRwu5z.jpg

original_305273_1HPa8EzvKIsFb_asdRuIRwu5

Neither of those are AutoCAD files.

Source file and output file are two different things. The vast majority of everything I ever did in dwg or other vector form was used in a raster format. While some print and authoring tools can import and use wmf, emf, and similar generic vector formats most things required a raster file.

Dave

Sorry, WC. No offense intended. I did read it, and just read it again. Still guess I don't get it.

That design could certainly be produced in AutoCAD by an experienced user so I guess I just didn't get your post. AI is really just a CAD program optimized for such work...

Dave

Schu,

Neither of those are AutoCAD files. They are raster images in JPEG format. Are you saying that you traced this design into AutoCAD? If you designed it in AutoCAD, what would be the need to Digitize it, you would already have the vector file? Your post raises so many questions..........Confused

ugh...

why would I post the actual Vectored files... this is the internet.

My work is digitized to the ten thousandth and those previous designs are over 13' in size. when you can find better more precise work, you let me know.

here are some more of my designs... I have probably more than a thousand designs/projects credited and produced.

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/original_305273_ynk56xvrCbJvXIG60ELTNmS0R.jpg

192"x192"

original_305273_ynk56xvrCbJvXIG60ELTNmS0

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/original_305273_EYnszb62hAQz4Z6nYbahwNk_u.jpg

150"x192"

original_305273_EYnszb62hAQz4Z6nYbahwNk_

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/original_305273_PXJynwmrXezTAUVwytAXUT0eG.jpg

245"x348"

original_305273_PXJynwmrXezTAUVwytAXUT0e

Here is an Autocad file I both designed and digitized... 2000i.

Schu,

Had you said "Here are a couple of Raster images of some of my AitoCAD designs", I would have never raised the question, You have, in the past, made some post, that were difficult (for ME) to understand. Again, my main question was: If you designed them in AutoCAD, why did you need to digitize them unless you were tracing them INTO AutoCAD? That is all. I am truly sorry for any confusiion and nothing was meant to take away from your work. Your designs are beautiful...! Are they Tapestrys or some type of wall decorations. I asked because you said they were 13 feet in size. Yes, there is really NO limit, as to what you can do in AutioCAD, as it is one of the most versitile programs out there. 200i was one of my favorite versions.

Again, your designs are Artistically excellent.....! I stick more with straight lines and angles as I am certainly NO Artist. You clearly have a talent that I will never have, but I can draw a mean stick figure....![:D]

W. C.