Klipsch and the NHRA

artto

At the Pilgrimage a few of us had an "after hours" chat with Trey Cannon. Trey mentioned he had suggested something to Klipsch marketing about Klipsch being a sponser with NHRA much like the Live Nation music theater partnership. Trey also told us about one of the Klipsch rigs he tested at one of the nearby drag strips.

Well, a friend of mine drag races his 1970 Buick Grand National GS 455. Today he calls me from the US Route66 drag strip in Joliet, IL and tells me they are using Klipsch speaker systems. He said the sound was clear and distortion free and he could clearly hear what the announcer was saying as the cars sped by at full throttle.

I think Trey may be onto something.

Well it's been a LOT of years but I used to attend the "Gatornationals" in Gainesville when I could.

I have no idea what they were using for the PA system at that time but I can tell you that it purely sucked. I couldn't hear a D@MN thing that was being announced and we had "good" seats.

Like they say "Any exposure is good exposure". If Klipsch can climb in to bed with the NHRA I can't see anything bad coming from it.

The PA systems I have heard at national events have been very poor. Even if you did not need to be wearing ear plugs they would be lacking. That said I am pretty sure no PA on the planet could be heard over the sound of Top Fuel, Top Alcohol, or even the pro stock cars and if you could hear it it would destroy your ears in short order. Try to imagine speakers that could cut through a 150db.