Vintage CD player for my 2 channel setup.

allgonoshow

Hi folks.

I have a friend recommending I get a vintage cd for my setup.

Currently I have a Cambrigde audio 640 integrated amp, c/a 550 tuner, a yamaha s550 dvd/ca player.

these are playing thru vintage Mirage 750's, which I love, room size about , 12 x 18.

This is not high end stuff but has a great warm sound, the speakers

disappear and fill the room with sound

He has an Arcam Alpha 7 and Rotel 955AX which he says will compliment the rest of my hardware

better than the Yamaha.

Any thoughts, Is there are reason the older stuff would sound any better than the Yamaha.

I'm not a techy guy but would expect the newer unit would have better sampling and dac.

I think you're right, the newer stuff should last longer too. I don't see the reason for using an "older" player, especially if you are connected digitally.

But, if he's a friend, ask him to "borrow" one or both and check it out for yourself.

Dennie

I think you're right, the newer stuff should last longer too. I don't see the reason for using an "older" player, especially if you are connected digitally.

But, if he's a friend, ask him to "borrow" one or both and check it out for yourself.

Dennie

I would push for the newer gear at this point. Good luck...

My PERSONAL view would be to go with the new, I was around at the start of the whole CD thing and the equipment curve for improvement was fairly steep for the first years. As also said, can any CD be thought of as vintage?

That isn't a lot of money and if you could use a second (or third or whatever) CD player then it may not be a bad deal, used CD players are very common though so they really are not that expensive.

I use a 10yr old Sony CDP-XA1ES. It sounds great and I like the option of being able to select my desired track from the face of the player. The older Sony ES line of CD/SACD players are my favorites for function and appearance. I paid $15 at Goodwill for mine. Goodwill = Good Deals on CD/DVD players 5-15yrs old.

Would the older stuff sound better questions is a tough call. From a technical spec's perspective a current model sony CE500 (100 bucks) has better spec's than a 10 year old onkyo 939 (1200 bucks when new). But the onkyo sounds better and will certainly last a lot longer. Someone had an onkyo in the garage sale section for 200 bucks, which is more than what a ce500 would cost, but the onkyo is a top of the line unit.

Ha, good point.

Maybe we could consider the eariler part of their relatively short life span as vintage.

He is going to let me try the Arcam. If I can hear a difference I'll scoop it.

He only wants $50 for it.

Thanx for the suggestion.

It never hurts to have a spare, as someone mentioned. Arcam has a decent reputation, so if you like it, you just may want to pick it up. You can always offer $40! [;)]

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Don't laugh[:P] at "vintage" CD players. My 1989 Denon DCD-3520 is a 40lbs ++ copper plated chassis and ceramic tranport beast of a player that sounds and operates as well as any player I have ever owned or heard for that matter.

HPIM38671235023656.jpg

Here is one on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENON-DCD-3520-CD-PLAYER-CLASSIC-TOTL-VINTAGE-3520-AUDIOPHILE-HIGH-END-DENON-/130741466133?pt=US_CD_Players_Recorders&hash=item1e70cc7415

This thing has enough output voltage to act as a preamp with volume control and hook a pair of RCA's to an outboard amp and drive the speakers that way.

Little more info here:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/denon-DCD-3520.html

Gut shot.

denon%203560%201.JPG

Bill

I already have this blueray/sacd etc player in my 5.1 room.

great stuff

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=887&Title=Azur+651BD+Universal+Blu-ray+Player

After further consideration and the fact my "bud" wants $100 not 50 for his Arcan, and offered to sell it and refund if

I didn't like it, I think I'll keep what I

have for my 2 channel room.

I just receiver the used 5.1 stuff I scooped, Anthem avm50 and pva 5 , so that will keep busy me for awhile.

Thanx for the feedback guys.