Sub Recommendation for RF-83 System

hotsho111

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at that chart, do you want something with a higher peak at each value or something with a flatter curve?

For music, a flatter curve would be my choice. For HT, high peaks down low with a flatter midbass curve.

Ideally a sub would have the highest peak at each value along with a flat curve?

I did the math on a few of the better ones in the chart. All five here look pretty darn good.

A75-450-----------950.2 total dB divided by 9 = 105.57 avg dB from 10Hz to 63Hz

PB13 Ultra-------947.6 total dB divided by 9 = 105.28 avg dB from 10Hz to 63Hz

DD-18--------------947.0 total dB divided by 9 = 105.20 avg dB from 10Hz to 63Hz

SIG SUB 2-------953.1 total dB divided by 9 = 105.90 avg dB from 10Hz to 63Hz

FV15HP-----------960.6 total dB divided by 9 = 106.73 avg dB from 10Hz to 63Hz

The top four look to be about the same with the RYTHMIK coming in a good avg 1dB higher across the frequency band.

If all prices were the same between these, any would gladly sit nicely in my family room.

Bill

IMO the Epik Empire is in the top 2-3 on that list. If you're looking for a bottom feeder then there are better options but for a sub that does it all and is one of the best at music then Empire is it. When they did these tests they said the Epik Empire was the most musical out of the bunch and it was also the only sub they couldnt bottom out. Count in the fact that it's only $799 and you can buy two for the price of a lot of these other subs, it's a no brainer. Two Epik Empires for $1600 is about the best bang for the buck out there IMO. It's the route my friend and I went after lot's of research. I have heard the Paradigm at another buddies house and it's a very nice sub as well but the price is just silly. The single Empire actually out does the SvS Ultra from 63hz on and you can buy two for $400 less than the Ultra! The Elemental Designs is a very good buy as well. It was number two on my list when i was looking.

Yes the Empires are great, i just got my second one a couple of weeks ago, it's great having two of them, it adds more bass, and still sounds great, there the best subs ive had, and the price isnt bad neither, just wish they had free shipping.

They do bottom out according to an owner in this forum. But tht doesn't mean they are a bad sub. Not even close I would imagine. I know josh loves his and wouldn't trade em for anything. Unless he won the lottery maybe lol. I opted fortune ultras because of their rave reviews, outstanding warranty, and premium finishes. Great company and top notch customer service as well. An I scored one for 1899.00 with my military discount and the second for only 1350 after the sale and a very minor blemish that it showed up with. For 150 credit the blemish is nothing!

They do bottom out according to an owner in this forum

I guess you "can" bottom out anything if you try hard enough but using the same subs pushing them all equally with the same material the Empire is the only one that didn't. The Ultras are very nice no doubt about it and picking one up for $1350 is a heck of a deal...

Svs subs also make that similar sound if the amp is pushed too

hard. Owning both subs I can say they are both really nice. But value is tuff

to measure because everyone has different wants and needs. Example some people won’t

want two subs in the room. So in that case you want the best one sub you can get.

SVS is a bit more of a bottom feeder compared to Epik subs, but as frequency rises the Epiks out perform the SVS. In a practical consideration and not on charts, it comes down to how much vibration and shaking compared to dynamic explosions and clean bass up to 300 Hz with the Epik. Sealed vs prorted/vented subs. Distortion is lower with the sealed subs. All of the subs mentioned in this post are great subs. I personally like to feel things but don't want the foundation of the house shaking. It is a matter of preference. I have already broke a crystal vase and can feel vibrations in all the seats in my family room at -10db on the avr due to the subs subsonic frequencies.

Hotsho,

I can't add on the technical bass stuff, but placement in the room is important too. If you have to have it in a specific spot tell these guys so they can tell you if a specific type sub will perform better in that location.

That TV stand looks like it was custom made for your center. That looks awesome sitting in there. If you upgrade that thing you might as well get another TV stand...and if you do that...get a bigger TV for your new stand. It never ends.

That TV stand looks like it was custom made for your center. That looks awesome sitting in there.

I built the stand myself. There is 1/2" space all around the center speaker.

It took a week to design, 2 days to cut, 1 day to assemble, 4 weeks of prep work (a few hours a day after work) and 24 hours of painting (it has 2 coats of primer and 4 coats of black paint). Would I do it again? Probably not haha

It has 8 adjustable shelves, channels in the back for running cables and the back is held on with magnets. The back still needs some work though, it's not painted yet and the magnets are a little under powered so it's easy to knock it loose.

• 1 month later...

After thinking about all the suggestions here I decided to save up a bit and increase my budget.

The Epik Empire is at the front of my list (maybe 2 of them?) but I can't make up my mind hah. Maybe some flavor of the SVS-PB12 or the FV15HP. They all seem pretty close

I'm still open to other suggestions though.

Seems there are too many sub choices hah.

I've included a layout of the room the speakers are in. The entire room is the 14x19 but the system is in the 9x14 section of the room. The thing in the upper right is cabinets.

The room is a bit odd shaped but I figured I could get the sub now anyway, since I feel it would help, and this way I won't have to upgrade it later.

Posted Image