4 channel Car audio amp ideas?

jtubbs6117

Guys I need help with a recommendation of an amp for my truck. I bought 2 sets of infinity components and they are 2ohm so I really don't like the idea of running them on my Alpine deck for a long period. I didn't look at the ohm rating on the box until I had already installed the back door speakers. So I was half way done with the project and didn't want to pull it out and send everything back. Thanks for your time and ideas.

Kappa 50.9cs

5-1/4" two-way component system

Unit of sale: Pair
Model Number: KAPPA50.9CS
Product details

5-1/4" two-way component system with outboard crossover and I-mount tweeter mounting kit including Startfish OEM adapter.

Plus One woofer cones - This patent pending technology deliver a cone with more surface area than competing models of the same size. The result is increased bass output and higher efficiency.

Edge-driven UHF dome tweeter - These are not commonly used W-domes, but fully edge driven domes like those found in fine home audio loudspeakers. This much larger voice coil increases power handling and provides better sonic integration with the mid-woofer. This brand new Infinity tweeter delivers flawless output to 35kHz, ensuring reproduction of every last detail.

True Four Ohms— All Kappa speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance “seen” by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Kappa Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit.

Woven glass fiber woofer cone material is extremely stiff, minimizing cone flex which yeilds very low distortion and improved clarity, an Infinity trademark.

Computer-optimized voice-matched outboard passive crossovers - Each Kappa multielement and component system features an outboard crossover that has been voice-matched for flawless performance with incredible detail and accuracy.

Adjustable tweeter level-Each Kappa component system features a user adjustable tweeter level control on the passive crossover.

True Four Ohms— All Kappa speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance “seen” by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Kappa Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit.

After reading this I might not be putting my head unit in danger and may have more time to get a 4channel amp. This info was pulled from the infinity site. I still want a 4 channel amp.

Carl after reading that on infinity's page that most be what they did. What are you reccomendations for a 4 channel? I would really like something 100 watt per channel or more.

http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers/item/sax-1004d.html?category_id=3

I've run several Sundownaudio amps. They always put out more than they're rated, sound great and hold up under abuse (ask me how I know!). They'll also run loads greater than what they're rated for. It's not uncommon to see their big subwoofer amps that are rated stable at 1 Ohm to be wired down to .5 Ohms.

Get this Orion XTR-450 it is old school and can handle 2-ohm stereo loads all day long with incredible clarity. This amp sold for about $700 in the mid to late 90's. I owned one and the bigger XTR-475. It is 50W x 4 at 4 ohms, but double to 100W with a 2 ohm load. Highly, highly recommended amplifier made is USA with Mil-Spec PCB's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orion-4-channel-XTR-450-Old-School-Amp-XTR-2150-XTR-2250-/190714028388?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item2c67712164

It will make those Kappa's sing. I ran mine with a/d/s components and it was stellar.

Unless you are trying to get your car into competition, you really don't need to go overboard on a car amp. this or even this would be great with those speakers as the infinitys are rated up to 85 watts RMS. I have a similar kenwood 4 channel as the first one with infinity components as well (might even be the same ones...but I don't remember =^P), and I'm more than satisfied. It also says 90x4 at 2 ohms, so I think it'd be perfect for you. The second one is 60x4 at 2 ohms. Either one is going to be more than enough power. I would personally probably get the first one I linked, but that's just me. You may be able to get those amps cheaper elsewhere, but I just usually start with crutchfield as they usually have a whole lot of info on stuff they sell.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for all the information, this project has been put on hold so I can progress wirth my HT setup. I have started looking for a Marantz Av-8003. Thanks again everyone. I am sure some of you can relate you get so many things going progress seems to impossible.