Oh no! I think my father is losing it

Kain

My father recently went to some Sony showroom and saw some Sony "home theaters." He was like, "you want me to pay around $3,000 JUST for those Klipsch speakers when I can get a COMPLETE home theater for around $1,000-$1,500? Forget it."

CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! cwm31.gif

What to do?? I want my RF-7s! cwm45.gif

I even told him to build the Klipsch home theater over time but still he said "no." Frown.gif

HELP!

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

cwm24.gifQUICKLY Take him to some nice showroom were they have a nice big TV and sound system. That may help bring him back to reality. DO NOT, allow him to see any rinky dinky show rooms with lesser equipment. Take one of his favorite movies with you. Your best bet is the WOW factor. Use it to your best ability.

Indeed you have a very serious problem on your hands. cwm6.gif

Good luck my friend! cwm4.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

One more trick...

Have you considered brainwashing? Put a tape recorder under his pillow at night while he is sleeping. On the recoding it can say something to the affect....

You want Klipsch, anything else will cause hearing loss

You get the idea. cwm35.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

If life in Dubai is like life most everywhere else, you get what you pay for... or sometimes even less... even if you are a father.

My condolences and commiserations. My father would not even spring for a record player because he looked upon it as a conspiracy to wheedle money from his personal but unmentionable recreation fund.

Fortunately, time passing has its virtues... even if subjected to interim spasms of Sony Home Theaters... just think of the HT you will someday build and plan to make it happen. -HornED

I have the same problem with my parents. They will do anything they possibly can to avoid buying any home theater stuff. Tell them you will pay for part of it. Im selling some crap and saving some money so I can pay for half of what Cornwalls cost (about $1200). After I get those I can buy the center and surrounds. After my parents get all of there "bills" (my dad just bought a new car, new carpet, new washer/dryer, 50 inch HDTV) paid off he said he will buy the sub (SVS CS Ultra)

Thanks for the support.

I will take him to a high-end audio store here (Dubai Audio Center) where they have DLP projectors and all that stuff with nice audio systems. This might change his mind. If not, then I'll tell him to drop the RF-7s and get the RF-3 IIs, RC-7, and the RS-7s.

Will this match work out fine?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

Basically, get the best you can get him to get. Make sure you get a bitching subwoofer, or you will be disapointed.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Kain,

I'm a firm beleiver in "he who earns the cash - gets to buy the toys!". Moon's WOW factor approach might have some benefit - but I'd say odds are against it. He might be afraid that if he gets a b***chin home theater, you might never move out. cwm17.gif

OMG! cwm24.gif

I TALKED him into getting the Klipsch Rx-7s! cwm4.gif

I just basically told him ALL my technical knowledge that I knew about speakers and how much better the Klipsches were than the so called "home theaters" Sony and other brands offer and WHY they were better.

He probably didn't understand half the stuff I was saying. cwm32.gif

Then I took him to the Klipsch website (Smile.gif) and showed him the RF-3 IIs and the RF-7s. He asked me what was the difference. Then I showed some of the post regarding the "RF-3 to RF-7" upgrades and all the "WOW" factor in it. He was impressed. Then I told him about the summer discounts SVS is offering and he was further impressed! cwm35.gif

Then I was like, "when can we buy them?" He said he was not going to buy them without actually seeing (and hearing) them, and I don't mind that cuz I know he won't be dissapointed! Smile.gif

The only thing that he might be dissapointed in the SIZE of the speakers! cwm27.gif

Anyway, I am soooooooo freaking happy now! cwm1.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

quote:

Originally posted by trespasser_guy:

My parents are similar to this.... Though not as understanding. When I talk to them about what I want to do and how good Klipsch is, they actually get mad. My mom couldn't work a computer or say one thing audio related to save her life. My dad, while somewhat audio inclined could care less. He is SET on Bose although I don't know why. He has never heard them, and thinks that they use only the highest quality this and that to make their speakers. All in all, I am screwed on parental help for my HT.
Frown.gif
And thus I must get a job....
Frown.gif

Well, look on the bright side. Once you get a job and start building your home theater, you'll value it much more than if someone else bought it for you. Plus, it will be truely YOURS! Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

To the Father of KAiN64,

I know this may seem very hard to believe, and since I have 5 children of my own, I know just how hard it can be -- but your son actually knows what he's talking aboutSmile.gif

I would take 2 Klipsch RF7's over 5 speakers of just about anything else. Huh, as a matter of fact, I DID buy 2 RF7's over 5 of anything else.

I've been doing this audio thing for 25 years and have never been so impressed with a speaker at this price point. Yes, it's a ton of money when you are still raising a family -- but on the other hand -- you will never be dissapointed, and they will give you a life time of listening pleasure.

As far as I'm concerned -- there is no 'Home Theater' experience', or 'live music' experience without horns.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25/ S F Line 1/ S9000ES/ HSU x-over/ SVS CS+/ RF-7 Klipschcones®f>s>

Exigency is the matriarch of ingenious contrivancef>c>s>

I wonder if he had a great interest in music or HT. Perhaps his priorities have changed. If you have friends with a great setup, it's time to give him a visit. Maybe he needs a current shot in the ear from an excellent system. Not to loud at first though, you wouldn't want him to think those things could destroy the house!cwm4.gif

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-09-2002 at 05:36 PM

quote:

Originally posted by ShapeShifter:

I wonder if he had a great interest in music or HT. Perhaps his priorities have changed. If you have friends with a great setup, it's time to give him a visit. Maybe he needs a current shot in the ear from an excellent system. Not to loud at first though, you wouldn't want him to think those things could destroy the house!
cwm4.gif

As a matter of fact, one if his friends DOES have a Klipsch KLF home theater! Smile.gif

Secondly, he lives just down the road! cwm35.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

My parents are the same....

They have only had a VCR for the last 5 years. A CD player in the last 2 years.

And that is because I give it to them as gifts.

When I was younger they use to leacture me about waisting my money on this and that.

But nowdays when they are over at my house, and the khorns are playing something they enjoy. They do stop and listen.

I love my parents a lot - but I sure am glad I did not turn into them as I grew up.

JM

Hey, if somebody is dead set on getting BOSE, then have them read this .

Also, you/they might want to read the Bose FAQ . Makes for some interesting reading, although I don't agree with the line in Section 2 about how people may think Klipsch is only sometimes better than BOSE. Every Klipsch speaker I have heard (including my ProMedia v2.400s) would easily blow away anything that BOSE made. Even my Cambridge Soundworks FPS1800's sound better than BOSE's Acousticmass speakers, although barely (but then again, I only paid $100 for the CSW FPS1800s). Granted, this version (Dated 1996) was the newest version I can find on the 'net and I had no experience with Klispch until only very recently (Early 2000 when I scored my ProMedias).

Also some more Bose Bashing here .

Yes, Bose - Better Profit Margins Through Shortcuts!

or Better Hype Through Marketing.

If you or somebody you know is dead set on getting something with small, unobtrusive speakers, for godsakes, at least show them the Quintets! They have got to be better than any of the BOSE junk for much less money! The first link in this post contains a link that has a whole slew of much better options than BOSE.

P.S. Hey Tresspasser_guy, read the page at the first link in my post, print it out and leave it on your parents pillow. Smile.gif It just might convince your father to consider something else besides BOSE (hopefully Klipsch Smile.gif ).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

This message has been edited by skonopa on 06-10-2002 at 11:14 PM

My parents have Heresy speakers with a somwhat cheap Pioneer receiver. I bought Dad a DVD player that can play cd's into the stereo for x-mas. Mom still plays her cd's thru a Bose radio/cd player that she has sitting on one of the Heresys. I think they are tone deaf. Maybe I can talk them out of the Heresys?

My recommendation to all those trying to influence other's decisions-

Try to get them to buy the best product possible but remember a few things things:

A. That you have to make the decision conform to their needs/preferences. Basic micro-marketing. Example: If someone has their mind set on a Bose-sized stereo, do not try to sell them an all heritage-sized system. You are better off trying to sell them on a Quintet system or other quality sub/sat system. If you do not attempt to meet their initial likes/dislikes- you will lose their interest.

B. Always negotiate. Show them the ultimate, but plan on having them buy the intermediate. This way they have a reasonable (in the true sense of the word) offering rather than the high priced-high quality vs. low price-low quality opposition.

C. Value- show them the cost effectiveness of their decision. Bose should not be compared to a $10k system but to one of approximately the same price- use this as a base line. There are superior products from a number of manufacturers (basically all), not just Klipsch. This might be somewhat advanced, but make sure you show him a third alternative (breaks dialectic oppositions- creates synthesis which will lead to a new understanding of the whole process- Hegel). Offer him a real option to show that you are not closed minded and show him the differences (Maybe Maggies, B&W, Revel, etc). If you want to increase price, show him what he gets for each incrimental change. Like auctions, once you get someone hooked, they will keep increasing the price. But make sure that you don't increase it so high that they have second thoughts. At 17 you probably don't have a full grasp at the value of money yet, so try to keep this in mind.

D. It's not your money- when it comes down to it you have to remember that he earned it and that gives him the right to spend it any way he wants. If he wants to blow all his money in scotch and strippers, he can do so. All you can do is recommend. Calling him crazy doesn't help. Remember that the system you are proposing costs about as much as a new Korean car,a used muscle car, or the annual salary of a minimum-wage full-time employee- some people have different priorities. Not everyone needs a system that can be heard a block away or can cause permenant hearing loss- something smaller may be in order.

E. It's a two way street. Give him some effort. You are a seventeen year old who is questioning the importance of education, "contemplating" getting a summer job, and expecting your father to buy you a fantastic luxury that most of us have to work our butts off to come close to. He has no obligation to provide you with any AV equipment at all. If you want all this stuff- get perfect grades, work hard, and listen to your father (if not about speaker choices).

Larry