Hotel Dtel

CECAA850

No doubt in my mind that cruise travel is closer to air travel in safety record than it is to being in your own home.

Yes, responding to myself. I might add that the ship is DEFINITELY safer than your own home with the wrong hands on the control of those subs...[:D]

Dave

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No doubt in my mind that cruise travel is closer to air travel in safety record than it is to being in your own home.

Yes, responding to myself. I might add that the ship is DEFINITELY safer than your own home with the wrong hands on the control of those subs...Big Smile

Dave

[Y]

I disagree. Air travel is vastly superior to cruise ship travel when it comes to safety of any kind. You would have to pay me to go on a cruise. Big bucks.

I presume you are very nervous around the house and never get on a freeway. For 100,000,000 passengers since 2005, there have been 46 deaths, and that includes 30 killed by that idiot on the Costa Concordia.

About the only way one could get much safer would be cryogenic suspension. I avoid unnecessary risk, but at that level it's certainly safer than going downstairs for a beer. At least on a ship there's someone to bring me one... [:D]

Dave

About the only way one could get much safer would be cryogenic suspension. I avoid unnecessary risk, but at that level it's certainly safer than going downstairs for a beer. At least on a ship there's someone to bring me one... Big Smile

And a crusie ship I think will get away from any hurrican activity or at the very least be safer to ride it out in onc'e own home to ensure one's Frazier''s survive the ordeal. Them big boats like a big island so maybe can ride out a hurrican better then getting hit by one?

• Moderators

And a crusie ship I think will get away from any hurrican activity or at the very least be safer to ride it out in onc'e own home to ensure one's Frazier''s survive the ordeal. Them big boats like a big island so maybe can ride out a hurrican better then getting hit by one?

I don't know, We NEVER go during hurricane season, I am not as dumb as I look !

Yes the boats are huge, the Conquest is almost 900' long 116' wide and but when you leave land and travel for 24 hours and your still in the middle of the Gulf you realize the boat is very small.

Once we ran into rough weather, not a hurricane and there was 25' seas which makes the boat move up, down and sideways, it's great I love it when it's like that, I want to feel like I'm on a boat, my wife does not, at all. But I would still not go with even a chance of a hurricane, I can deal with the boat moving, I can not deal with hundreds of people being sick. [+o(]

It's funny even when it's calm you get back home and things still move a little it feels, like when you stand in the shower close your eyes and end up moving back and forth.

We NEVER go during hurricane season,

That would be asking for trouble wouldn't it.... of course it did work for Fffooorrrest, Forrest Gump. Are crusise ships anywhere near the path of hurricanes? I'd think they'd be in a different hemifsphere?

Yes the boats are huge, the Conquest is almost 900' long 116' wide and but when you leave land and travel for 24 hours and your still in the middle of the Gulf you realize the boat is very small.

Kind of like a very small floating ilsand. Tossed around like a cork.

Once we ran into rough weather, not a hurricane and there was 25' seas which makes the boat move up, down and sideways, it's great I love it when it's like that, I want to feel like I'm on a boat, my wife does not, at all. But I would still not go with even a chance of a hurricane, I can deal with the boat moving, I can not deal with hundreds of people being sick. Ick!

I think I'd get seasick. Hello SeaBands.

It's funny even when it's calm you get back home and things still move a little it feels, like when you stand in the shower close your eyes and end up moving back and forth.

Now I think I've feeling seasick [+o(]

• Moderators

Are crusise ships anywhere near the path of hurricanes? I'd think they'd be in a different hemifsphere?

Not really near the path when they can avoid it but for hundreds of miles from a storm it's still plenty rough.

I found this pic searching for "cruise ships in storms", it's about the same same size boat, we have been on this boat, but not on that trip. In the pic the wave is about even with the top of the bow, that's about 40'-50' above where the water is normally. This would have been a very rough ride.

post-11804-13819800983868_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

the bigger the waves the better. it's just more fun that way, but since i spent 20 years in the coast guard--i'm a bit partial to the sea.

I like big waves also, although not really "the bigger the better", maby on a coast guard boat. I always hope we run into a little rough water but nothing crazy.

One thing about big waves on a cruise ship is you have two drinks you walk like you had 10 in rough water, even with 0 drinks you can bounce off a few walls when your not expecting it. Christy does not think it's so cool when at dinner your drink is moving up and down on each side of the glass as the boat shifts.

When it was really rough once she looked kind of like this [+o(], she never got sick but did not feel so great at all.

One thing about big waves on a cruise ship is you have two drinks you walk like you had 10 in rough water, even with 0 drinks you can bounce off a few walls when your not expecting it.

try being a germ-a-phobe like me...i don't like touching handrails...so i lean against them as i'm going down the stairs...can be tricky when the boat's a rockin.

believe it not the worse storm i've been in was on Lake Michigan....seas about 23 feet or so and the waves come closer together on the lakes than they do on the ocean, so the ride is quite rough. we'd have to hold our trays at chow or they'd go sliding off the table. oh the good ole days!