B&W DM604 S2.....wish me luck!

Youthman

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Haha....it's all good.

My wife leaves for work around 7am right about the time I get up. She had already been walking around the house for 30 min. I told her I thought her blog post was pretty funny and asked if she had seen the living room. She was surprised that I had moved it all back.

I really like them in the living room but I totally respect my wife's wishes if she prefer not to have them there. We are still trying to decide whether or not we even want a TV and cable. We've been without it for 3 years. The only "TV" we have in the house is the rabbit ears hooked to the projector. There is a lot of garbage on TV these days and we definitely do not want our kids glued to the TV all day so if we do get it, boundaries will set for how much TV we will allow them to watch.

I just ordered a new projector bulb so I might see about ordering cable first to see how we (including my wife) likes it. Once she starts watching HGTV again, my guess is she will want to add a TV to the living room and then "maybe" I can slide the B&W's back into the equation or sell them and buy some smaller bookshelf speakers to go there.

Who knows at this point but regardless, I'm cool with whatever we decide to do. Stuff is just stuff. It will come and go. My faith and my family the two most important things to me. [:D]

Just seen this, very nice and cool pics, love those floors and rug also. Yes

Thx Dtel.

I'm glad HGTV is a cable station there because here it means "Honey Get The Vacuum" Angry

That was funny. I'll vacuum if she will let me keep the speakers. Stick out tongue

Kaiser, what model are your B&W's? I notice they have a different tweeter than mine do.

Those are N804's and are definately the model in the 800 series to buy. In my opinion, the 804's and the 803's are as high as you should ever consider going in the B&W line. They are great speakers. If you go to the 802's and up, they require so much power it is just ridiculous.

The Nautilus are also the ones to get because if you ever blow a tweeter, the replacement diaphragm is "only" $200 (ask me how I know [:$]) but the diamond tweeters are about $1200 each.

Nice speakers Kaiser.

THX Youth, Tiger (THX for the kind words) is exactly right mine are Nautilus 804's pre-diamond series. And like he says unless you have disposable cash for mega watt/mega dollar amps don't go above the N803's, even with those I'm sure to get their optimal performance you would need two of my BAT VK-200's running bi-amp or better yet a VK-60 on the top end and a VK-200 on the bottoms which is my ultimate wish for my setup and I have been lurking A-goN for a good deal on a used one of those[:P] (Almost got an incredible deal from one of our fellow forum members here a few years back but my Texas brother came to his senses just before I pulled the trigger[:'(]) Sad for me but none the less great for him and I'm happy he hung on[:D]

My N804's will absolutely suck every watt of my VK-200 up on these bi-wires and though they never break up they will take full throttle[:o] One of my local salon's was running a little B&W 12" sub, N805 stand mounts with a Mac 275 and I'm usually not a sub guy for two channel playback but was highly impressed with the sound quality of that little setup[;)]

Who knows at this point but regardless, I'm cool with whatever we decide to do. Stuff is just stuff. It will come and go. My faith and my family the two most important things to me. Big Smile

Ahhh, it's always refreshing to see someone with their priorities straight! thumbup.gif

Dennie drinkingcheers.gif

PS I've PM'd you my address, in case you can't keep the speakers!! [;)]

• Moderators

Well it was worth trying, hard to complain when you have a dedicated room. Stick out tongue

Tru, tru.

Do you run also, just wondering,

No, I really do not have any desire to run. Just isn't fun for me. My 13yr old and I would rather go to the gym and work out. We've only been working out for about a month now and haven't really worked out since I was in high school. I was surprised I was still able to bench 225. My goal is to get back up to my max in HS at 265. Tonight we did decline press and I wanted to see if I could do 8 reps with 225. Got 7 out of 8. I have no desire to get HUGE, just in shape like I was in HS. I really need to run with my wife to trim off the unwanted fat on my belly and drop a few pounds from 185 down to maybe 165. It's been a few years since I've been there. LOL

• Moderators

Good deal, I feel better when I work out, just seem to have a hard time keeping on any kind of regular schedule which is worse, it's always like starting over. No idea what weight, I don't use anything that I could get a number in pounds and I don't go to a gym anymore but doubt it would be 225.

The wife didn't go for the two channel in the living room?? Just think of the youth leadership meetings with some Kari Jobe or Hillsong playing in the background! My wife turns on our living room system and plays Hillsong on Pandora via Squeezbox all the time. I can understand the TV thing, lot's of garbage that I don't want my child exposed to either. We did away with a living room TV as well.

• Moderators

The wife didn't go for the two channel in the living room?? Just think of the youth leadership meetings with some Kari Jobe or Hillsong playing in the background!

That's what I was trying to tell her. I even put some music on and started dancing with her. LOL

I can understand the TV thing, lot's of garbage that I don't want my child exposed to either.

I think that's what we struggle with the most. The garbage as well as the amount of time they spend on TV. Don't want them to just veg in front of the TV all day. If we do decide to get a TV, we would set time constraints. I know...some of you guys are like "Are you for real?" Yep, I am. It's a HUGE responsibility raising children (we have 4) and I don't take that lightly.

• Moderators

I just went into the HT, turned my system on and turned up the volume to 50

Well we knew it wasn't the living room...lol Stick out tongue How's that battle btw...

Just thought I would provide an update...it hasn't been much of a "battle". I originally got really excited (for some reason) when I started thinking about getting a TV for the living room, ordering cable and setting up the B&W's in the living room as a 2.0 system. Seems like the more I think about, the less I get excited about it now. We were at a hotel this weekend and I was flipping through the channels and I went through all of the channels, didn't find anything interesting to watch and turned it off. Maybe we just aren't big on watching TV. I LOVE watching movies though. Guess we will continue to give it some thought and see where it goes.

If we decide not to put a TV in the living room, I will likely be selling the B&W's.

I just went into the HT, turned my system on and turned up the volume to 50

Well we knew it wasn't the living room...lol Stick out tongue How's that battle btw...

Just thought I would provide an update...it hasn't been much of a "battle". I originally got really excited (for some reason) when I started thinking about getting a TV for the living room, ordering cable and setting up the B&W's in the living room as a 2.0 system. Seems like the more I think about, the less I get excited about it now. We were at a hotel this weekend and I was flipping through the channels and I went through all of the channels, didn't find anything interesting to watch and turned it off. Maybe we just aren't big on watching TV. I LOVE watching movies though. Guess we will continue to give it some thought and see where it goes.

If we decide not to put a TV in the living room, I will likely be selling the B&W's.

This is a good time to hijack this thread. There is mostly crap on TV. I keep hearing about people gettig rid of cable and using netflix, amazon and other internet streaming. What solutions are out there?

I usually just keep the tv on in the background anyway. There are very few shows that I actually pay attention to and watch. Any ideas?

I can't disagree with you there. Netflix might be a better option for me. I'll have to look into it.

With 4 kid's, spouse and yourself going out to 1 movie vs. Netflix at 8 bux a month for unlimited movies.......no brainer!

I agree as to the caca on tv. Especially with teens and pre teens in the household.

• Moderators

Just signed up for an account. I'll watch my first movie tonight. My only concern is 10MB download speed being enough to buffer and the quality of the video. I'm used to 1080p Bluray on the projector. SD looks pretty sad. Hopefully netflix is at least 720p which would still look nice.

I too cut the "cable" a number of years ago and haven't been happier. Obviously I listen to lot of music (Right This Minute Thread!) but I still like to watch some TV, so I have OTA, but the commercials kill me. cussingblack.gif

I also have an Amazon.com Prime account and I got that for the "Free 2 Day Shipping" on most items, especially music. But, one day they sent me an email telling me that the "Roku 2 XS" is on sale. Heck, I had no idea what that even is. It is an internet streaming device and with my "Prime" membership I have access to thousands of TV shows and movies included for free. So, the Roku was on sale for $69.99 with free shipping, so I decided to get one.

71ZMi2eH0ZL.jpg

1988%20Columbia%20Special%20Products%20B1988%20Columbia%20Special%20Products%20B

I love it! Now, my "Prime" membership is $79.00 a year and that is what I spend on TV watching. They have many, many older and some newer TV shows and movies. Lots of entertainment for a very low price and the best thing.... No Commercials!! Well, the best thing is no monthly bill! [Y]

Here is the link to the ROKU 2 XS -----> CLICK HERE

There are a few different models, so see which one is right for you. [;)]

Here is a link to Amazon's Prime Membership ------> CLICK HERE

I just thought I would share this, in case someone (like me) doesn't know about it.

Dennie