A spin on the LaScala bin design

2sick2pray

The cabinets I made were sold to a Producer and Recording Engineer in L.A. ,Chris Clarke, here is his comment on the bass bins.

------Ara,

I really like the bass bins. Saturday was my first chance to check the wiring and test the speakers. I used a Mackie 1400 amp in mono to power both sides and as a crossover @ 125Hz. Two way JBL double 15 cabs were then stacked on top. With the bass bins delivering the needed low end punch it was immediately clear just how bad the JBLs really sound. I swapped the JBLs for the Klipsch KLF-30s and the result was stunning without EQ or driver time alignment

Having rested my ears my wife and I went back Sunday to give the system a proper workout. As the coils warmed up the the bass got deeper and we ended up hammering the system for 6 hours straight. The boxes have already surpassed my expectation and my friend told me the room already sounds better than a lot of the clubs she plays at across the globe.

I'm already thinking about adding a second pair. Do you have plans/drawings for them? I was also wondering why the speaker chamber panel is on the bottom instead of the top. Do you see any problem with flipping the box and relocating the binding posts to the lid?

Cheers,

Chris.

-------Here is a second email after they were dialed in.Ara,

Your bass bins rock! Once the Klipsch tower had been delayed I brought the bin Xover up to match the 800Hz Xover of the KLF-30. I attached a quick video for you.

Chris

The cabinets I made were sold to a Producer and Recording Engineer in L.A. ,Chris Clarke, here is his comment on the bass bins.

------Ara,

I really like the bass bins. Saturday was my first chance to check the wiring and test the speakers. I used a Mackie 1400 amp in mono to power both sides and as a crossover @ 125Hz. Two way JBL double 15 cabs were then stacked on top. With the bass bins delivering the needed low end punch it was immediately clear just how bad the JBLs really sound. I swapped the JBLs for the Klipsch KLF-30s and the result was stunning without EQ or driver time alignment

Having rested my ears my wife and I went back Sunday to give the system a proper workout. As the coils warmed up the the bass got deeper and we ended up hammering the system for 6 hours straight. The boxes have already surpassed my expectation and my friend told me the room already sounds better than a lot of the clubs she plays at across the globe.

I'm already thinking about adding a second pair. Do you have plans/drawings for them? I was also wondering why the speaker chamber panel is on the bottom instead of the top. Do you see any problem with flipping the box and relocating the binding posts to the lid?

Cheers,

Chris.

-------Here is a second email after they were dialed in.Ara,

Your bass bins rock! Once the Klipsch tower had been delayed I brought the bin Xover up to match the 800Hz Xover of the KLF-30. I attached a quick video for you.

Chris

Well, that is good news. I would still like to see some actual curves on that bin, as well as a Hornresp Model of it. It is possible you got lucky with it. But I guess it doesn't matter at this point, as long as the buyer is happy.

Hey Guys: Right in the middle of sound tests for the lounge and not knowing the Lascala bin for a reference, the SP-1's are singing with the Behr 2496 at the helm. Crossing down to the sub with LR 12 @ 80 hz closing out with LR 24 @ 31 hz. Moving up to 499 hz with the LR 48, for the FH-1 pulling down 141hz -1.4 db and finally closing out at 19.6 hz with BW 48 while pulling up 15.1 khz @ +2.1 db for the CP-1. This was a possible thru the generosity of Moray James to sell the cabs to me and let me grow as a audiophile. Thanks again Moray your the best. By the way Ottmar Liebert never sounded so good to me in my entire life.2S2P

for the FH-1 pulling down 141hz -1.4 db

You might want to try pulling down about 6 db because it's a pretty high peak. Klipsch's Chief Engineer, Roy Delgado, based on the Hope Anechoic chamber measurements on the LaScala Bass Bin are -7 db at around that frequency, so don't be shy about it. It's not the woofer so much as the inherent peak in the horn. I do something similar to my SP-1/FH-1 bottoms with the Behr 2496, but with a different woofer and measument tools.............but it's right in that range. Also if you make the cut a bit wider, the midrange definition will improve at 499 Hz. where you really need it.

Great to hear that it is all coming together so well and so quickly. Sounds like you are working your tail off. Keep us posted. It was a pleasure to meet with you and I am sure we have lost to discuss about audio and I would like to learn about the Behringer. Best regards for now Moray James.

Those photo coppies are in the mail today.

Moray ,Claude; Check out the Faital Pro 15PR 400. It appears to have great specs all around and the impedance curve looks excellent thru 70 hz up to 1khz. I found them by accident while looking for some 8" woofers for the Snails III.Let me know if they are what they appear to be as I'm trying to find EVM 15L's, but so far only 8ohm versions, and really need to get moving on all the horns I've got to build. We are converting the gun range that's in this multiplex, into a work shop( sound proofed) so I can build and test at the same time. Thanks 2S2P

Moray ,Claude; Check out the Faital Pro 15PR 400. It appears to have great specs all around and the impedance curve looks excellent thru 70 hz up to 1khz. I found them by accident while looking for some 8" woofers for the Snails III.Let me know if they are what they appear to be as I'm trying to find EVM 15L's, but so far only 8ohm versions, and really need to get moving on all the horns I've got to build. We are converting the gun range that's in this multiplex, into a work shop( sound proofed) so I can build and test at the same time. Thanks 2S2P

That woofer would work fine in a horn. What cabinet will you use with it? Are you trying to replace the Peavey woofers in your SP-1 (what I call a "cheap La Scala").

What is a Snails III?

• 7 years later...
On 9/26/2012 at 2:32 PM, Coytee said:

Yep, four drivers in the cabinet. I was looking at acquiring some of those a really long time ago (late 80's or early 90's, I forget)

There is a two driver version but the T18 is the best performer.  Now if I can only get a 12" version tuned for bass guitar to around 50 or 60 hz.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/23/2012 at 8:46 PM, Marvel said:

Are you in England? Ah..... I also have the drawings for a set of Martin 215 MkII cabs. THey look pretty good, and also a set of the Martin 215 MkIII, which, of course, they say is better.

Bruce

post-7149-13819801289986_thumb.jpg

Hey Marvel can you email me the drawings for the Martin 215 MKII cabs that you have .Thank you in advance

shaneramdass2402@yahoo.com

I'm not sure if I still have those plans from 20+ years ago. I'll sift through some of my folders when  get home from work and grocery shopping tonight.

• Like 1