Beatles LP Box Set - *Available Soon*

Rick

It looks like the long awaited Beatles stereo LP box set will finally be available for purchase in November. I love the mono CD box set, but this is tempting as a Christmas present for myself. Better start working some overtime to fund the purchase... [8-|]

http://www.elusivedisc.com/THE-BEATLES-STEREO-VINYL-BOX-SET-180g-16LP/productinfo/EMILPB33809

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently it was a mistake, and they will not be ready next month. Who knows how much longer before they are released? This is an email sent to a fellow member of another forum:

Dear Elusive Disc Customer,

Thank you for your preorder with us for the Beatles LPs. EMI has informed us that these titles were mistakenly prematurely announced.

These titles are not supposed to be available for preorder until October 1st. We have removed these items from OUR website until that date.

Your preorder will remain active and NO further action is needed on your part. We wanted to proactively notify all of our customers about this situation.

Thanks,

James Bantz
Elusive Disc, Inc

They say a mono set will be coming out next year. Since I'm broke anyway, I'll be waiting to hear some reviews of the sound quality before pining for them. The box set (which includes what is supposed to be a very nice book) will be "limited" to 50,000 units world-wide, but the individual albums will also be available. I've heard they'll be pressed in Germany (Palais).

Incessant ramblings on the subject at Hoffman's forum:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=297170&page=48

From what I can find on these, they are using the digitized remasters from the stereo CD's released in 2009. Will be interesting how they sound with digital back to vinyl.

I saw a post on the SH Forums where a guy had emailed Abbey Road Studios asking them if these were mastered using the 24/192 digital masters or 24/44.1, and got the following reply from them:

Thank you for your email.

For the recent Beatles remasters, The original tapes were copied to
digital at 24/192k. The tracks were then remastered at 24/96 and the
vinyl was cut from these 24/96K masters.

I hope this answers your question

Regards

Abbey Road Studios

Well that's pretty cool, getting a reply from Abbey Road studios!

Also found another tidbit online:

The digital files were cut to lacquers at Abbey Road Studios. Engineer Sean
Magee cut the LPs in chronological release order. He used the original 24-bit
remasters rather than the 16-bit versions that were required for CD production.
It was decided to use the remasters that had not undergone "limiting," a
procedure to increase the sound level.

That sounds encouraging.

• Moderators

So no since getting the vinyl if you already have the box set that came out a couple of years ago with the mono set? They are from the same digital master? Seems like it is just a collectable type thing as opposed to improvement on what had come before. Seems like the MFSL Beatles set is still the best way to go on this for Analog or the prerecorded reel to reel.

Travis?

So no since getting the vinyl if you already have the box set that came out a couple of years ago with the mono set? They are from the same digital master? Seems like it is just a collectable type thing as opposed to improvement on what had come before. Seems like the MFSL Beatles set is still the best way to go on this for Analog or the prerecorded reel to reel. Travis?

I sure hope you're right Travis. I have all but 2 of the MFSLs and those are early LPs that don't get much benefit from the higher quality vinyl IMO. There are 2 or 3 I might buy if everyone decides they blow away the MFSLs.

Looking forward to your reviews!

A used MFSL box set costs over twice what this box is selling for, so this will definitely be an option for me. I'm also understanding these are not being cut from the same digital masters that the cd's were cut from. My understanding is these will be cut from a much higher resolution (24/96k) than the cd's, which were cut from a 16 bit master.

Mike

• Moderators

I sure hope you're right Travis. I have all but 2 of the MFSLs and those are early LPs that don't get much benefit from the higher quality vinyl IMO. There are 2 or 3 I might buy if everyone decides they blow away the MFSLs.

Hi Gary,

I thought the BOX SET Mono CD's blew away everything I had ever heard with the exception of some prerecorded 7.5 IPS tapes. I liked the mono CDs better than most of the original mono vinyl I have, which isn't that much. As far as vinyl to vinyl, I have the MFSL Box Set, which I am sure are the same as the individual LP's you have, and I thought for stereo (with the exception of the six or so songs that were never recorded in stereo) they were a better version than the original pressing stereo versions and I like the MSFLs better than a lot of the CD's. The mastering process was at least 10 times better in 1981 when the MSFL set was done compared to what they were working with all the way up until '69 before recording at Apple.

I will be interested what people have to say when comparing the Remastered Vinyl to the CD's, especially when the mono vinyl comes out.

Travis

• Moderators

Hi Mike!

For the CD's I know pretty much they did. I read up on all of it back when they announced this was coming out. The remastering was all done at Abby Road, at the direction of Apple and it's four share holders. Apple told EMI to just do it and get back with them with CD samples when they were done.

The original master tapes (which, as you know, is a two track quarter inch mix down tape, NOT the multi-track recording tape) were played back on a Studer A-80 and recorded to Pro Tools with a Prism analog to digital converter. They were recorded at 24/196. All of the remastering was done on these files with the exception of 6 or so songs that were never recorded in stereo, and Help, which looks like is gone forever. They used George Martin's digital mix from the 80s.

They used some compression (makes it sound louder) on the stereo but on the mono cds. They said there was a critical balance of trying to make it sound good for today's audience where everything has a great deal of compression. They did try and find a limiter that was as flat as possible and say that the most compression they used was about 3db.

The CD's were "cut" (I guess it is technically reproduced) from this original 24/196 master digital file, but since CD's are lower resolution than that (whatever CDs are 16/44 point something) they are going to be limited to that on playback.

Which means that the vinyl is going to be SACD/DVD-A quality. I only have one DVD-A quality Beatles and that is Love, and it rocks. Blows the CD remasters away, and with the exception of the MFSL recordings, is better than anything else I have heard out that. So if things went well with the mastering process on the vinyl (and that is a big if, how much eq., how much compression, etc.,) the vinyl could have the potential of being better than anything else out there. I think certainly the Vinyl Mono is going to be the thing to own and will certainly be something I think I want to have. I guess that is going to be limited to 50,000 units as well?

Have you listened to early Beatles in stereo recently? Please, Please, Me, Beatles for Sale, With The? I just have never like all the vocals on one side and all of the instruments in the other. It was very primitive stereo at Abby Road until '69-'70 and I just never liked that sound of it. I have the mono versions on prerecorded tape and they sound so much better to my ears the the equiv. stereo tape where they channeled the instruments so differently than they did with much later on. I think stereo was pretty much a kind of gimmick at the time.

I hope to hear some reviews on these whenever they are out.

Travis

Have you listened to early Beatles in stereo recently? Please, Please, Me, Beatles for Sale, With The? I just have never like all the vocals on one side and all of the instruments in the other. It was very primitive stereo at Abby Road until '69-'70 and I just never liked that sound of it. I have the mono versions on prerecorded tape and they sound so much better to my ears the the equiv. stereo tape where they channeled the instruments so differently than they did with much later on. I think stereo was pretty much a kind of gimmick at the time. I hope to hear some reviews on these whenever they are out. Travis

Rubber Soul in stereo was also vocals one side, instruments on the other although they re-mixed at least some of the songs before the "Love Songs" album was released ("Michelle" has a center vocal image on the Love Songs album). Even the MFSL LP was recorded that way. That's one of the three or so I'd be interested in buying assuming they changed the mix.

I've bought WAY too many Beatles' LP's over the years so the new box set would have to be exceptional or very, very cheap. A local indie shop (Sound Garden in Baltimore) is offering the set at a preorder price of $299 so there's hope that the price will continue to drop.

Of the box sets I have, I prefer the 'Blue Box' (BC-13) issued in the late '70's. These were analog cuts and in some cases, improved on the original stereo releases. The best-sounding 'blue' set is the UK release (good overall balance - seems to get everything right), followed by the Toshiba/EMI (very detailed, excellent, quiet pressings but a bit light on the bottom end), Holland, USA and Australia (the last 2 are pretty much equal in my book). I also have the MFSL box and its very similar to the Toshiba/EMI (Japan), perhaps a bit louder and more forward. Given that no one has heard the new box, I'll definitely wait for the reviews and comparisons before even considering a purchase.

I've really enjoyed the Mono CD box and would love to get my hands on a 'Red Mono' box one day but these are rare and $$$$ so I am hopeful that EMI will issue a mono box next year - and wouldn't it be great if they kept it out of the digital domain (just a pipe dream, I'm sure).

I've really enjoyed the Mono CD box and would love to get my hands on a 'Red Mono' box one day but these are rare and $$$$ .

at 2500.00 I hope it sounds wonderful.

I would just like a decent recording of all the albums on vinyl, everyone I come across at a garage sale is over priced and scratched to hell. The only other way is at the record show that comes twice a year. But collectors want quite a bit for their collectible items. I figured if these recordings out of the box set sound good, at 21.85 a record I am all for it.

I've really enjoyed the Mono CD box and would love to get my hands on a 'Red Mono' box one day but these are rare and $$$$ .

at 2500.00 I hope it sounds wonderful.

I would just like a decent recording of all the albums on vinyl, everyone I come across at a garage sale is over priced and scratched to hell. The only other way is at the record show that comes twice a year. But collectors want quite a bit for their collectible items. I figured if these recordings out of the box set sound good, at 21.85 a record I am all for it.

If you really want a great sounding box set on vinyl find a Blue Box BC 13, I have both BB the UK and US versions. I listen to the UK BB all the time as well as the Mono CD box, the US BB is still sealed never been played don't know if I will ever open it and play it. I am really tempted at times as I know three of those LP's are tube cut and I would love to compare them to my 7.5 reel tapes!!!