Record Cleaning Solution

Tarheel

I have inherited a large LP collection and need to start cleaning some of them. I am thinking about making my own cleaning solution and have just ordered two bottles of 99% pure isoprophyl alcohol from my pharmacy. I plan to mix the alcohol with triple distilled water (if I can find some) at one part alcohol to four parts water. I will then add a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid to the mixture. Any comments or suggestions?

Second question, I have many 78 LPs, maybe 22 albums containing 11 records each. Is there much interest or value in these? They appear to be very well maintained. I also inherited an old Benjamin Miracord Elac turntable in very nice condition that plays 78s! Can I use the above described record cleaning solution on the 78s?

Thanks for your comments.

I am thinking about making my own cleaning solution and have just ordered two bottles of 99% pure isoprophyl alcohol from my pharmacy. I plan to mix the alcohol with triple distilled water (if I can find some) at one part alcohol to four parts water. I will then add a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid to the mixture. Any comments or suggestions?

From http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html#recipe:

Cleaning Fluid

For the record cleaning fluid I use Laura Dearbon's formula from her book "Good Sound". There are a number of other formulas that could also be used. The following is quoted from Laura's book (without permission, of course).

The safe formula is the same as archival commercial preparations, except that you are mixing it yourself and therefore it costs you a fraction of the price of ready mixed. It can be used for both hand and vacuum cleaning. It is a 25 percent solution of isopropyl alcohol in water, with a drop of surfacant. Ethyl alcohol, sometimes applied to records in the form of vodka is more damaging to vinyl than is isopropyl. Use it only in an absolute pinch.

Drugstore isopropyl contains too many impurities to qualify it for record cleaning.
Use technical or lab-grade isopropyl, which is extremely pure. Reagent grade is unnecessary and far more expensive. Water should be steam distilled, triple de-ionized. Both of these are readily available at a chemical supply house, which should sell them to you in pint and gallon sizes.

You also need to add a drop of surfacant, or wetting agent, to reduce the surface tension of the water so the formula can penetrate down into the grooves. Very high frequency grooves, in the range of 15 kHz, can be as small as four millionths of an inch, according to Wald Davies of LAST. Though alcohol itself helps somewhat, you still need a wetting agent.
Two excellent and safe choices are Triton X-114 from Rohm-Haas and Monolan 2000 from Diamond Shamrock.
Both of these are nontoxic - but don't take them internally - and biodegradable. Very importantly, they leave behind no residue on the record. They are harmless in these small amounts to record vinyl and, as far as is known, to any of the conceivable by-products and impurities likely to be found in record vinyl.

Kodak's Kodaflow is sometimes recommended as a wetting agent. Do *not* use this as it contains chemicals in addition to surfacants that would leave behind residues bad for both record and stylus. Kodak recommends against this application.

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol on my Diskwasher brush sweep just prior to playing (i.e., NOT cleaning) records. I found that it is incredible for this purpose, however, it breaks down the foam backing in the Diskwasher brush (...bummer...), but all that means is that the brush is a bit flatter and less spongy than when it was new in 1978 ( [:o] ).

I've had mixed results with the SpinClean device and its supplied fluid - I get a lot of residual noise even after a couple of days of drying previously dirty/worn disks, and even ones that were not that dirty. Maybe someone can comment on this issue.

Chris

I have inherited a large LP collection and need to start cleaning some of them. I am thinking about making my own cleaning solution and have just ordered two bottles of 99% pure isoprophyl alcohol from my pharmacy. I plan to mix the alcohol with triple distilled water (if I can find some) at one part alcohol to four parts water. I will then add a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid to the mixture. Any comments or suggestions?

^that is the correct ratio and chemical make up.

I have a Nitty Gritty record vac but no fluid. I also understand that the shellac on 78 may cause damage with record cleanerss. Any further thoughts?

I use the same homemade solution that you described, it works very well and is cost effective.

I have used a steamer too but I picked up a nitty gritty in a package deal and I have to admit that it works very well and is much quicker. I had the VPI years ago, which looks like a better machine, but I just did not like it. The Nitty Gritty is easier to use even though it looks more primitive.

As far as the 78's, you really need to search in google to see if the solution will work.

If you want them REALLY clean, there is nothing like Ajax and steel wool, about 000 is good.

If you can settle for a little less clean, the Spin Clean from Garage a record is a great tool, I love mine. The pads wear out fairly quickly so buy a couple extra ones.

I've considered using pressure washer, turn it down to about 3,500psi but can't figure out how to protect the labels. Rain gear and safety goggle advised. [;)] Taz

If you want them REALLY clean, there is nothing like Ajax and steel wool, about 000 is good.

If you can settle for a little less clean, the Spin Clean from Garage a record is a great tool, I love mine. The pads wear out fairly quickly so buy a couple extra ones.

I've considered using pressure washer, turn it down to about 3,500psi but can't figure out how to protect the labels. Rain gear and safety goggle advised. Wink Taz

I found that when using the pressure washer, the best way to protect the labels is to cut two metal discs from about 1/8" or so material then some thin rubber is glued to one side of each disc. A hole is drilled into the center of each disc so that you can put a nut and bolt through the metal/rubber/record sandwitch. Tighten snugly and have at it! The discs protect the lable perfectly, keeping them dry and intact [:P]