Fun with Subs...

Coytee

I acquired a pair of Danley DTS-10's. Frankly, I (highly) doubt they are setup as well as they could be...but... they are at least in the ballpark.

For the first time since getting them, I put some E. Power Biggs in the CD player. I figure it was time to listen to some Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

The meters on my primary amp (dbx BX-3 powering the Jubilee's) were not moving much and when it hit peaks, would hit .005 watts. Regardless of the meters accuracy, suffice it to say I was not cranking & jamming.

Enter the Danley's, powered by a Crown K2

Heh... all I got to say is at this low level, not only did they bring a large smile to my face during some low passages, I was immediately aware that this low rumble could easily go through the wall to my neighbor.

This might really turn out to be a purchase that I can't ever really use. I'd love to step into the volume a bit so to make the pipe organ more on the scale of life....however.... my poor neighbors.... I just have too much respect for them to subject them to the floor/wall shake.

• Moderators

Darn teenagers with there big radios. [:o]

Your not going to be living there forever, and you had to have known two DTS 10's and Jubes might have been a tiny bit to much for an apt. [:P]

Just remember if you slip with the volume knob it might be bad, i's not a new building, and you may give the old people around heart attacks.

I saw an episode of Holmes on Homes where the walls were thin between two townhouses, and he put up a sound barrier which consisted of staggered studs, sound deadening insulation weaved through the studs, outlets with sound deadening stuff, and special drywall that contained some sound deadening polymer. I don't know if this or any technology could stop super low sub-bass at high SPL, but I am sure you would at least be able to use your Danley.

Heh... all I got to say is at this low level, not only did they bring a large smile to my face during some low passages, I was immediately aware that this low rumble could easily go through the wall to my neighbor...This might really turn out to be a purchase that I can't ever really use.

Haven't I heard these words before? [8-)]

Oh that power you feel knowing that you could vibrate the entire apartment building with less than a Watt...Nikola Tesla would be proud...

Chris

Oh that power you feel knowing that you could vibrate the entire apartment building with less than a Watt...Nikola Tesla would be proud...

Chris

It's the ACOUSTIC watt that counts, and very few speakers can do 1 Acoustic watt (115 db?) no matter how many electrical watts are available cheap. Long live horns.

It's the ACOUSTIC watt that counts, and very few speakers can do 1 Acoustic watt (115 db?) no matter how many electrical watts are available cheap. Long live horns.

I like that term, acoustic watt....I may barrow that for future reference, lol.[^o)]. Enjoy the subs!

I like that term, acoustic watt.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_power

One acoustic watt at your listening position is really, really loud: 120 dB, or the sound of a jackhammer at close range--and ten times that of a chain saw.

Chris

I agree totally The Horn Loaded Subs are the best fun ever.

I have been experimenting with the THTLP and I'm now building number 7&8 a matched pair 16inch by 18inch to go with my LaScala.

The Last pair of THTLP 5&6 are the LFE in a Cinema in the Sydney Blue Mountains with a pair of Jubilee@535 as Main Left & Right.

The result is of the scale in every possible way.

We don't actually know how loud it will go as when you start flinching and blinking when things blow up in the movie you don't really need to go any louder.

Then when you play them really really softly it's all there just the same.

Fully Horn loaded is my absolute Favourite and a must have in the subs.

The Album Voice by Hiromi was sensational.

Must take some Bach next time.

"One acoustic watt at your listening position is really, really loud: 120
dB, or the sound of a jackhammer at close range--and ten times that of a
chain saw."

How do you figure?

One acoustic watt at 1M in 2Pi is 112dB, and at 10 feet will be 9.68dB less.

The dynamics in music will reduce the long-term average power by about 20dB from there.

See the table embedded here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_power

I was going to qualify "dB", but figured that nobody really cared (...but you, Dennis [;)]).

I believe that the general comment is "...that's pretty loud..."

I assume that you'd agree...

Chris

• 1 month later...

Coytee, I've been so busy that I haven't stepped foot on this forum in the last year. And I missed all this fun! Glad to hear you finally got a pair. Sad to hear you can't use them. :)

Are you EQing them at all? running them raw? There is a tremendous difference in these cabinets with EQ. I found them unusable without. But you know these things better than I.

Mine are now dialed in about perfect, and I don't suspect I'm sub shopping in the next few decades. :) I imagine with Jubscalas I'll say that about the top end too. I'll get there. ;)

We don't actually know how loud it will go as when you start flinching and blinking when things blow up in the movie you don't really need to go any louder.

Then when you play them really really softly it's all there just the same.

Fully Horn loaded is my absolute Favourite and a must have in the subs.

Well said! [Y][H]