Something wrong with my RC-7, A/V receiver, or is this normal?

Kain

I was watching Saving Private Ryan on DVD (DTS version). I had it loud, -5 db. During the opening battle scene when Tom Hanks gets "stunned" and everything sounds muffled, I can hear a buzzing sound coming from my right RC-7 woofer. If I lower the volume, the tone changes, and if I continue to lower the volume, it goes away. I can only hear the buzzing during this part of the movie. However, it may be because the rest of the movie has loud clear sounds. I watched this part on my Sony HTIB and could not hear the same sound during the same part of the movie.

What could it be? Does anyone else hear it? I don't think I've heard it before. Hope it is not the RC-7! I wouldn't mind if it was the A/V receiver because I am planning on getting an amplifer soon anyway.

If it's just the right woofer, it's probably blown. I don't see how this could be a receiver problem.

I would call Klipsch and see what they have to say. You could also buy a new woofer from them and it's a pretty easy fix. I had to do the same once for an RC-64 after I put a huge dent in one of the woofers when trying to move it. The woofer itself cost me 60$. An RC-7 woofer is probably a bit more expensive because it's a bigger woofer, but I can't imagine it being a lot different. You just have to talk to someone in the parts department.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.

I will do some more testing. However, I was looking at the prices of the woofers in the RC-7 and they are being sold for around $60-$70 brand new. How come they are so cheap? This was a $800 speaker!

• Moderators

Play some R&B or other bass heavy music through your RC-7 for further troubleshooting. Might be easier listening to a regular beat and bassline, instead of a movie.

I was thinking along the same lines but why not use a test tone cd that has specific frequencies. If you do not have a disk, let me know and I'll give you a link to download the files from.

CECAA850, I am not using the legs, only the rubber feet that came with the speaker.

Frzninvt, I am using a 80 Hz crossover for all of my speakers.

I tested the center channel with AVIA and the 5.1 Audio Toolkit DVD. I could hear the same buzzing as in the movie during the 80 Hz crossover test. Then I took the front-right RF-7 speaker cable and attached to the RC-7. Played the same tests and could hear the same buzzing. I guess it is the RC-7.

I'll talk to my local Klipsch dealer and see how much they charge for a replacement woofer.

By the way, is it hard to replace the woofer yourself? Is it just a matter of unscrewing the woofer from the speaker, pulling it out (forward), removing the speaker wires, and inserting the new one while reattaching the speaker wire to the woofer? How is the speaker wire attached to the woofer?