Win 8 Question

boom3

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a laptop for Christmas and it is loaded with Windows 8. I do not like it a bit

I just bought one too. Yuck.

Try this, the windows key on your keyboard (left of the spacebar) pulls up the goofy interface. You will also want to delete all of the extra "bonus" icons that try to sell crap to you. Get rid of norton and then you have to go into windows defender to turn on microsoft's free virus protection.

My questions:

1: How do I partition the hard drive to put the OS on a separate c drive and files on a d drive? I do not want to reinstall everything. How big should I make the C Drive?

2: Microsoft is so kind as to put the software license on the bottom of the laptop on a STICKER THAT I DESIGNED TO RUB OFF. Dirty rotten pigs!!! Anyway, I always write this down right away, but I do not see anything on Win 8. Where is the license?

3. Starting with Vista, we now get the joy of burning our own rescue discs. Where do I go to do this in Win 8?

4. Aything else that I need to do? I want to get everything in order and then get a clean image of the c drive on my server right away.

We have Win 8 Pro at work, on a DVD with license keys, but preinstalled, the key is encrypted in the bios. Enjoy the reading:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57554240-292/windows-8-moves-to-bios-based-product-keys/ (opens in a new window)

In answer to 4:

You can use windows backup to create a bootable CD and place all of your files over on another drive, including a server.

Win. 8 is well on it's way to becomeing one of the all time worse Windows OS's ever......

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/windows-8-adoption-rate-reportedly-worse-vista-1C7800805

I purchased my new laptop a couple weeks ago and declined on the Win. 8 Pro discount, by opting for the 7 Pro version. Call me crazy, but I'll never buy a first release of any Windows OS. Did that once over a decade ago, and will never do that again.

Win. 8 is well on it's way to becomeing one of the all time worse Windows OS's ever......

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/windows-8-adoption-rate-reportedly-worse-vista-1C7800805

I purchased my new laptop a couple weeks ago and declined on the Win. 8 Pro discount, by opting for the 7 Pro version. Call me crazy, but I'll never by a first release of any Windows OS. Did that once over a decade ago, and will never do that again.

You sure? Windows XP is 11 years old now and your posted picture shows you running shocker xp.

DSCN0341.JPG

One of my nephews works for Google, and recently installed Windows 8 on his home computer. He doesn't have a touch screen on it... He only says it is different, which I have found to be the largest stumbling block for most people trying to use something new.

My boss upgraded her Win 7 laptop to Win 8 a couple of weeks ago, and says everything if working fine and it's ok.

Vista was a bad OS for a number of reasons that don't begin to compare to Windows 8. At least Windows 8 is stable.

Bruce

One of my nephews works for Google, and recently installed Windows 8 on his home computer. He doesn't have a touch screen on it... He only says it is different, which I have found to be the largest stumbling block for most people trying to use something new.

My boss upgraded her Win 7 laptop to Win 8 a couple of weeks ago, and says everything if working fine and it's ok.

Vista was a bad OS for a number of reasons that don't begin to compare to Windows 8. At least Windows 8 is stable.

Bruce

I have Vista on one laptop and now Win 8 on another.[:'(]

I have had no problems with Vista, I just hate that it took me 3 hours to research and set up an admin account to be able to access certain folders. It also drives me crazy that everything keeps getting moved in the name of "improvement."

If these guys were transportation engineers, "Hey, in 2014 let's have everyone drive on the left side of the road..."

Bruce

Bruce, I'll definitely have to agree with you there, I've gotten to be an old dog when it comes to learning a new Win. OS's.

Jay, isn't that the same pic. from which you incorrectly deduced that I was using AutoCAD? Now, once again and with the same pic you're still at it. Still w/o a clue of what you speak, tisk tisk. You were much better-off quoting other peoples opinions using your ole' cut-n-paste routine.

I swear son, your like a simple minded little pasty troll, I'm gonna have to wash my underwear in the Hvy Duty cycle just to peel you off. Get a life and a job, so you can stop wasting your parents money.

Bruce

Bruce, I'll definitely have to agree with you there, I've gotten to be an old dog when it comes to learning a new Win. OS's.

Jay, isn't that the same pic. from which you incorrectly deduced that I was using AutoCAD? Now, once again and with the same pic you're still at it. Still w/o a clue of what you speak, tisk tisk. You were much better-off quoting other peoples opinions using your ole' cut-n-paste routine.

I swear son, your like a simple minded little pasty troll, I'm gonna have to wash my underwear in the Hvy Duty cycle just to peel you off. Get a life and a job, so you can stop wasting your parents money.

LMFAO should I have posted the picture of you with your "honors" sash proudly strewn on top of you that you boasted soo much. Also the job is irrelevent, to treat punk likes you like dirt is worth it on my 45 minute break.

• 1 month later...

I figured that I would bring this thread back. I found an easy and free solution to the Windows 8 mess.

It is called "Classic Shell" http://www.classicshell.net/

This not only adds a start button, but allows you to check boxes to skip the Win 8 touch-crap as well as omit the live corners that jump out when you do not want them. Basicly, you boot up and go right into your desktop after your password and your computer works the way that you expect it to work.

Win 8 has some nice auto manitenence features (like regular defrag) so you can enjoy that without the Big Brother forcing their crap interface on you.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Forgot because I did this a month ago. I also used "PC Decrapifier" to get rid of all of the garbage that a new PC tries to sell you. Nice free utility. Google it. Can use it on a fresh install or an existing install.

• 3 months later...

I just saw in the newspaper that Microsoft is releasing a software package to correct the shortcomings of Win 8 later this year. This package, codenamed "Blue", is in response to the steepest drop in first quarter PC sales ever, which is blamed partly on the new OS. Blue is said to be a "radical overhaul" of Win 8 but little other information was given. Here we go again?