Center for Heresy Fronts and Surrounds?

wlg235

I'm pretty excited to have swapped out my old RS-3's for a couple of HDBR's jacked up off the floor about 12". But I've still got an RC-3 as my center channel. Is the obivous answer for a new center another Heresy? I've got a pair of reconed Ohm L's and Polk Monitor 4's that aren't being used anywhere...but obviously these don't have the depth that the Heresy's do. If I can swap out the existing center speaker, I "may" use the RS's and RC as height (wide?) and a back speaker speaker if I wantt to clutter up wall space. But I'll more than likely use them to set up something for my mom. I've been pretty content with 5.1 up until now...but can drive up to 9.2.

I'm using a new Pioneer SC-65 (swapped out my problem ridden Anthem MRX-500) to drive everything with a factory rebuild Velodyne HGS-12 (original owner) for the sub.

Thanks!

Walt

IMO... Another Heresy for the Center is a must.. But, and this is very, very, important... Please get the spekers it the same year/model, so the diver/crossover parts are the same too. It's a leap of faith, what I am asking you to do.... but hear me out, why! Look at this as a great challenge, like a scavanger hunt.. You will not be dissapointed! Maybe this explanation will help you below.

So you ask me, "Why is it so important Roger?" Just think of it this way... When something goes off camera left racing accross the front screen to the center, then to the right then offscreen right as it fades away... You want it to be soundwise seamless, right? Not a whooo eeee oooshhh experience! You want dialog, depending on where the action is shot and mixed, to sound the same if people move around the room too.. to either side too... This is especially true in Sound effects and in music too.. I am thinking these Klipsch tag words in my head, so hear it from me too, you want Power, Detail, and Emotion right? Speakers can sound Powerful sure... Detail.. yes with Horns they are.. and Emotion.. That comes as it warms your soul becuase you feel it sounds right in your brain and this pleases you too.... But you ask how?? Or why.... Because it hits your ears the same!

And, you want a world class experience.... ??? If I can be so bold on your surrounds too? Yes, again if possible, all the same.. So it is seamless when it flies over or around you... People usually go cheap on the rears and miss out, becuase if the SPL is different, the divers and size is different etc. IT WILL SOUND DIFFERENT!! Think about what information is sent to the rears, it needs to come out of that speaker specifically at a spl and hit your ears in a experience that is the same like it does up front.

Otherwise.. they are out of sync with what is up front. Same argument as above. A Wooo eee oooshhh does not equal Woooooooooshhh.

One thing I can't put into words why... but I like the older Heresey 1 and III's, and do not like for some reason the II's. I know I cant explain it... But I have spent hundreds, probably thousands of hours listening to them, and it is just my two cents... And at the end of the day too... Your ears may tell you different?

FYI, I am just a old foggey (51) and in love with the all things Klipsch, audio speaker wise...

One last thought, get a laser pointer when your done and have/move the speakers pointed exactly to the sweet spot you want them to be in your room. Again, discover it and create it for yourself, I promise if you will trust me, it WILL make a HUGE difference!

Best of all, good luck, and enjoy the journey! [:D]

The hunt for another Heresy is on. I did some major cleaning of my living room yesterday, and believe I can tuck a Heresy cabinet into the existing slot under the TV. My fronts are 81 HOL's and the surrounds are 76 HDBR's. I've upgraded the caps and regasketed both pairs (though the HDBR's had no rear gasket originally). The 5 year difference in builds really is apparent. The 76's seem to have a deeper richer sound than the 81's...though not as punchy. The punchiness might be due to not having run the Pioneer MCACC on the 76's and comparing the HOL's which I had. But the HDBR's have all metal horns as well.

Thanks for the Dope for Hope link! [Y]

Walt

• Moderators

Why buy a single Heresy? Doesn't your AVR support 6.1? Three rear speakers is superior to two. I run a 6.2 setup myself.

6.1 here also, and one thing to think about, a Academy is not much smaller than a Heresy but will not match as well, also an Academy cost close to the same as a pair of Heresy's, depending on condition.

Nothing sounds better than at least the 3 front speakers being a perfect match, like Indy mentioned.

I was given the same advice from everyone here and found out how true that advice was after finding matching models, it doesn't get any better than a perfect match.

Why buy a single Heresy? Doesn't your AVR support 6.1? Three rear speakers is superior to two. I run a 6.2 setup myself.

If I start considering another Heresy for a rear channel, I run into a serious real estate (or lack there of) issue. I'm in an apartment and my listening area is 16' x 14'. Heresy's as my surrounds in the corners is awesome! To think about pushing my seating 5' closer to the television to have enough room for another Heresy behind it...just doesn't make enough sense to warrant it. The RS-3's for a back channel would be do-able, because I can hang em on the back wall.

• Moderators

That makes sense, if you find a good deal on the second set of Heresy's instead of a single, just hold the extra, you may have room one day, just hard to find a single sometimes at a fair price.

The surrounds are not as important as the 3 front, especially if you can't place them right or the whole room has to be rearranged to make it work. Shoot for a matching front and go from there, I think you will be pleased.

I understand the problem placing surrounds, I had no good position, I ended up making strong 1/4" thick iron brackets to hold my surrounds at an angle pointing down along a beam on the rear wall. It works, perfect no but it has to do.

With no room behind you at all try this.... Put them to the sides of your couch...Same width as the front Left N right ones.. You can also try to slightly point them back behind you as you sit.. to the wall.. again trust me here... Its a way to cheat it some... and have something hit you from behind your ears... hehehehehehe.

Boy it is fun being back on this board...

Wayyyy too long to stay away....!

So sorry I dissapeared for a while.. I will add when I can. Lots to re build here!

I can agree with everyone that the Heresy would be the better choice. I have two Fortes with an Academy and the academy sounds okay but it is definitely lacking without that midrange horn. I have never heard Heresies but I would imagine that it would be the same issue.

I use an Academy with my two Heresy speakers. I don't believe the Academy sounds different. In fact, there are several reasons an Academy works better than a Heresy for me as a Center:

1. I have a Rear Projection CRT TV. So, I need the special magnets the Academy has to avoid electrical interference.

2. The total distance between my left and right Heresy speakers is 12 feet. So, the Academy blends in well.

3. I mostly notice the Academy during sports broadcasts where the announcers voices come through the center channel. The Academy reproduces voices quite well.

I'm thinking about throwing the RS-3's back on the wall and pulling one of the other Heresy's up from to try asthe center. I think that's the best way to determine how another Heresy will sound in place of the existing RC-3. Although...there's 5 years vintage between the HOL fronts and the earlier HDBR's. The Pioneer MCACC should provide some balance between them though. It's worked fairly well with the HOL/RC-3 combo that's up from at the moment.