Hi all! Future upgrade question

hideaf

So I'm new to the forum, but not new to Klipsch. I'll start off by saying I am no audio expert, but definitely an enthusiast (: In the past couple
months I have revived my ProMedia 5.1 system. I was debating sending it
to Elliot, but decided on changing the amp myself to a 300w, mono-channel Bash, which now drives my subs. I've also
converted to a 500w receiver setup which runs my sat speakers, giving me a total of 800w. This was a fun project and really reignited my love for crisp, enveloping audio.

That said, I would eventually like to take my audio experience to the next level, which is where you guys come in! I am readily welcoming any and all feedback/suggestions on what a solid next step would be. Thanks! (:

hideaf,

welcome to the forum. I'm no audio expert either. Just love music and Klipsch speakers reproducing the music.

There are plenty of folks here, expert and otherwise.

Next level? Really depends what you are interested in. Home theatre? Computer sound? Two channel?

Well, that's a good question, that I myself don't even know the answer to. With optical out coming standard on the majority of sound cards nowadays, I would think "computer sound" is falling by the wayside as more people switch to receiver setups. Don't think anyone has surpassed Klipsch's ProMedia series as far as computer speakers are concerned, so I'd say my interest falls in the home theatre category.

decided on changing the amp myself to a 300w, mono-channel Bash, which now drives my subs. I've also
converted to a 500w receiver setup which runs my sat speakers, giving me a total of 800w.

I'm enjoying my 3.5 watt amps on my LaScalas... [:|]

It really does depend on where you are going with all of this. We're not experts either and are kinda all over the map with what we use.

Welcome to the forums!

Bruce

I'm enjoying my 3.5 watt amps on my LaScalas... Indifferent

I take it that's one of those mini tube amps? I have no idea how those things work lol, but in my head I see them used more for producing quality sound instead of "big" sound...am I in the ballpark? = P

I would eventually like to take my audio experience to the next level, which is where you guys come in! I am readily welcoming any and all feedback/suggestions on what a solid next step would be. Thanks! (:

You can upgrade your system in many small steps, a few bigger steps, or just jump in with both feet and get what you really want right away.

In the long run, the first method is most expensive, and the last method is least expensive, but it takes some time to learn "what you really want" actually is, since you'll be going through a learning experience, and your ideas will change as you learn more.

If you have the room and the budget, the Heritage Series are the speakers you'll want to get and keep.

Thank you for the input, Islander. Yes, there is no doubt that I have a lot to learn. I was actually looking at the Reference series, basically because I could buy a complete system for the price of one Heritage speaker. Though the Heritage speakers do look nice. Would investing in something from the Heritage line fall into your first method of upgrading?

"Would investing in something from the Heritage line fall into your first method of upgrading? "

I am kinda a step or two ahead of you in my journey. My love is Home Theater and I can tell you that La Scalas, of the Heritage line, are a great start. Used pairs can be had when you watch Craigslist and the Forum. I picked up a used pair for $1000. The sound quality and volume is absolutely impressive! Now, I upgraded from a pair of Sony SSF-5000s (currently my surrounds). I know my direction will be a complete Heritage 5.1 (hopefully even a 7.1 or 2...wishful thinking :)) Home Theater. Yeah, my journey will take me a few years for sure, but I'm looking forward to the ride. :)

From my perspective, it's definitely better to save and get what's Right for you rather than what can be had Right Now. I've made my plug for Heritage. Whatever you decide, enjoy the ride, post pictures, and draw from the wealth of forum members here! Most are friendly enough to let you audition their gear too!

Wow, so you got TWO of the La Scalas for $1000? Doesn't ONE brand new La Scala cost $3500? Also, how on earth do you plan on doing 5.1 with floorstanders? You must have a large room.

Mine were used. You can tell the approximate age by the crossover. Mine are late 70/ early 80s. I bought speakers that I knew could fill almost any size room I am likely to encounter. Right now they are in a 12x18 and they fill the room with sound completely. I won't be at my current location for much longer so I didn't want something that I'd have to upgrade in a year. Also I don't have to worry about WAF (wife approval factor) so that affords me some freedom.

Right, right. Argh, there's so many options. Say if I got 2 Heresy III's (a huge upgrade from what I currently have), would I need a new receiver? My receiver only puts out 100wpc.

A pair of Heresy IIIs would be a very good start, and a 100Wpc receiver would work just fine. The Heresy IIIs are very sensitive, at 99dB/W/M, so you'll get plenty of volume with your receiver. There are not many receivers that put out significantly more power than 100Wpc. I say that because increasing amplifier power by less than 2x is not really significant, since it only adds 3dB to the volume level. There are not many 200Wpc receivers.

My first Klipsch speakers were a pair of used La Scalas, which I later upgraded to 510 JubScala spec. I've been enjoying them for six years now. You can see the right one in my avatar pic.

Later, I bought first one pair of Heresy IIs, then a second pair, and upgraded one of them to Heresy III spec to use as a centre channel speaker. When I lucked out and found a pair of Belles at a great price, one of them became the new centre speaker/TV stand, the Heresy III became the centre rear, and two of the Heresy IIs are now side surround speakers.

There is a forum member with 7 La Scalas in a great-sounding surround configuration, but for me, having 3 big speakers up front, and 3 smaller ones behind, is more practical space-wise, and still sounds really good.

Wow, so you got TWO of the La Scalas for $1000? Doesn't ONE brand new La Scala cost $3500? Also, how on earth do you plan on doing 5.1 with floorstanders? You must have a large room.

LaScalas can be had from $500 a pair on up. You won't find the LaScala II for that low a price, but the older models, yes. I paid around $1200 for my pair of '89s.

I don't have any current pics, but the older ones can look pretty nice.

Bruce