Best use of $1000 on a HT sub?

Gliderguy3

Carl,

How big of an area is needed for an infinite baffle? I have a large area under my fireplace and behind a tv, but I doubt that it is big enough to work.

A minimum of 10 times the Vas of the 4 drivers combined is ideal. Smaller will work if necessary but at least 10x is the recomended volume.

I saw one a guy built outside his home, with a port into the house. It sorta looked like an A/C unit. I'm not sure what it sounded like on the outside. I will see if I can find that thread.

edit: I found it:

ib10.jpg

Here's the link:

http://www.cowanaudio.com/ib.html

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to get my row-115s for 1250 total price for two of them thanks to delayed shipping have 500 sq. foot room and they fill my room up great, using rf-7 combo with RC-62 center channel speaker setup with rear in ceiling r-3800s. Dialing the two subs together was biggest issue but some fine tweaking helped a lot.

I was able to get my row-115s for 1250 total price for two of them thanks to delayed shipping have 500 sq. foot room and they fill my room up great, using rf-7 combo with RC-62 center channel speaker setup with rear in ceiling r-3800s. Dialing the two subs together was biggest issue but some fine tweaking helped a lot.

I think you mean SW-115. If so, I am sure you have more than adequate sub-bass. Also, you got a great price.

Congrats!

Lots of good and interesting advice, There is another i think i've seen Carl(CECAA850 Sorry if i messed that up) build F20? that look good,very clean and the plans also looked relatively easy. I think it takes up less floor space that the BFM Tuba.

I still think it would be nice if Klipsch came out with their own Horn loaded Sub.

Ok, so whats the plan for that $1000?

Yes, the F-20 is just about the easiest horn loaded sub you can build. It's way below his budget even with the amp. WAF? That's another issue but it does have a fairly small footprint for the output you get.

I agree. It's the same XY dimensions as my 30x60" Tapped Horn Sub, just a larger Z dimension. It's more like 20-100 Hz. instead of 15-60 Hz (my TH's output is room dependent, but mine is in a big room finally). IThe F-20 is also more efficient by several Decibels. So you are trading box size for efficiency or lower bass, just like in a bass reflex. The same principles apply.

It's not quite as easy to build as mine, and takes a bit more lumber, BUT, it's in the same class of outperfoming ALL direct radiator subs, it you can handle the cubic feet of lumber space.

which can't be touched by wimpy direct radiator woofers.

Nice, All of a sudden my sub feels so inadequate...

Perhaps I used too strong of a word to create contrast against horn loading the lows. However, it's a matter of principles of physics, now isn't it. Horn subs provide higher output, greater detail, and WAY lower distortion. Once you have experienced horn subs you will never go back to a DR sub, ported or not.

Paul Klipsch founded his company on 2 and 3-way ALL HORN systems from mono to 3 channel. All klipsch speakers have at least ONE "horn in the box"

Since this is Klipsch's Community, and Klipsch IS horns, it only makes sense to plug Horn SUBS here, n'est-ce pas?

The question remains: Why doesn't Klipsch produce Horn Subwoofers? Easy answer: They would NOT sell.

But there are enough enthusiastic fanatical freaks like me on this board to suport the DIY notions that inherently make us REBELS to begin with.

Now y'all go a and make some good sawdust, heah?