Best use of $1000 on a HT sub?

Gliderguy3

I am really intrigued by the newish SW-115 sub that seems to just about match the output of the older RSW-15 sub. I have a large open concept home with the main room shaped like a slightly lopsided "T" with the listening area filling the shorter arm of the "T" The T is about 15 feet thick by roughly 40 feet long on the crossbar and the "vertical." 10 ft ceilings throughout. I am actually (laughably) using the small sub from a promedia 4.1 to provide adequately balanced bass (no obvious frequency nodes with the odd shaped room) just nothing even close to reference theater levels.

I have looked at the THT and the TT Bill Fitzmaurice designs, but cannot work them into the floorplan to meet the WAF, but a normal box sub of around 2 ft on the longest side has a descreet location that already seems to be reasonably well frequency balanced when the smaller sub is placed there. This place is near the top of the T with 15 feet to the right wall, 25 feet to the left, and about 40 feet to the bottom of the T. if I can find a jpg or pdf of our floorplan I will include it if the above description is not sufficent information.

Is there a better way to spend $1000 or less to get serious bass in this large a space without resorting to a much larger box such as the BFM designs?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will eventually try to finish the system out with RB81 mains RC62 center, and still open for discussion on the surrounds. Meeting WAF resistance on the RB 81's but she does like the Gallery series. Wondering also how much capability I would be giving up going to the smaller drivered G28's vs the RB81's given how much sub I am wanting to start with. Guess that is really a question for another area of the board, but was relevant extra info for the original question.

I would say the gallery won't even touch the rb-81. And as for the above mentioned sub I say that would be a good choice. Or an epik empire also would be cool. I know of a rsw-15 for sale too if that's what you were really wanting. Or a couple rw-12d's from newegg for 600 when they are on sale might do the truck and save you some bucks. Won't hit quite as low as a 15" but save a lot of money and duals subs would provide a more even output.

I have a large open concept home with the main room shaped like a slightly lopsided "T" with the listening area filling the shorter arm of the "T" The T is about 15 feet thick by roughly 40 feet long on the crossbar and the "vertical." 10 ft ceilings throughout.

A room 40 ft. long means that you need some serious bass. A 15in is definetly something to consider. Smaller subs with strong amps is no replacement for being able to move a lot of air. Two subs is on order to get good bass throughout the room.

Bump your budget by about 200,00. Buy 4 of THESE and one of THESE and build an IB (Infinite Baffle) sub if your room will allow. You won't take up any floor space, W.A.F is through the roof and you'll never need to upgrade your sub again. You'll also have a sub with noticeable output into the single digits.

Bump your budget by about 200,00. Buy 4 of THESE and one of THESE and build an IB (Infinite Baffle) sub if your room will allow. You won't take up any floor space, W.A.F is through the roof and you'll never need to upgrade your sub again. You'll also have a sub with noticeable output into the single digits.

You would stay in budget if you used 3 drivers, no? You are the expert... Also, what about those IB subs that are built into a box with a single port coming through a floor or wall, etc.? Something like this:

12129d1233713366-built-subwoofer-project

As for the idea of Epik subs, I am not 100% sure, but I think they are caput. I bought the Epik Legend when it was on sale, and they are now "OUT OF STOCK" on everything they sell. Too bad, since they are really good subs.

I have a set of RB-81 II's, and they are nice looking, but a bit bigger than you think. In my opinion, Heresy's are a better choice only a few inches wider and taller and they are much more attractive. More importantly, they sound better than the RB-81's. I can't comment on the Gallery speakers, but I haven't heard anybody rave about them...

You would stay in budget if you used 3 drivers, no? You are the expert... Also, what about those IB subs that are built into a box with a single port coming through a floor or wall, etc.? Something like this:

3 drivers present a wierd load to your amp. Rarely can you maximize the amps output. The manifold design you pictured is ideal. Take one driver off and it'll vibrate like crazy. One driver won't have a corresponding driver to cancel vibration, If you had to go three drivers, use an array alignment but you still have the odd ball load on the amp.

3 drivers present a wierd load to your amp. Rarely can you maximize the amps output. The manifold design you pictured is ideal. Take one driver off and it'll vibrate like crazy. One driver won't have a corresponding driver to cancel vibration, If you had to go three drivers, use an array alignment but you still have the odd ball load on the amp.

Makes perfect sence. Thanks

Three drivers would balance fine in a triangular box. The amp load would be o.k. if they were 8 ohm drivers and you had an amp stable at two ohm loads. Before i go that route, I would build a THT in the attic space and hide its mouth behind a fake air return grille.

My only reservation about Heresy as HT is WAF for the center speaker. I am not aware of anything lower profile thatwould be timbre matched to the heritage line.

Three drivers would balance fine in a triangular box. The amp load would be o.k. if they were 8 ohm drivers and you had an amp stable at two ohm loads. Before i go that route, I would build a THT in the attic space and hide its mouth behind a fake air return grille. My only reservation about Heresy as HT is WAF for the center speaker. I am not aware of anything lower profile thatwould be timbre matched to the heritage line.

A triangle manifold is tough to build and the drivers don't cancel vibrations like they would in an opposed configuration.

When you run a 3 Ohm load to an amp, you need to bridge the amp which doubles distortion. I'd either run an 8 or 2 Ohm load off either side of am amp instead of a 3 Ohm load bridged.

You'd actually construct a sub in your attic? You must have a huge attic and access door, An IB manifold can be built in your shop and brought up through most attic access doors. A THT would never fit.

You're right about the Heresy. You'd ideally want to use a matching speaker for your center. I've seen it tastefully done.

Psa xv15

Josh, I seen someone asking about these subs on another forum. We may be hearing more about these sub as people give them a try. Chase Home Audio is also a consideration for an impressive sub. They are passive and you buy your own amp. I have heard that they are great.

Symmetrical box with identical drivers on each face, doesnt matter if it is 3,4,5, or 50,000 drivers. it will be balanced as long as everything is wired up in phase. There are way too many helicopters flying around with 2,3,4,5, or even 8 bladed rotors for me to believe an odd number of drivers has any inherent difficulty, except for making the box symmetrical. Triangular is easy with 30 degree miter cuts. Anyone such as yourself who has cut 7 degree miter angles for a TT could probably do 30 degree miter cuts while drunk, during a 7.5 earthquake with a cop shootout going on next door.

Amp load, yea, maybe, but I am not sure if that doubling of distortion comes from the new voltage swing requred or if it more slaved to power. If you ran a mono amp rated for 500 watts at rated power you get rated distortion, but if you bridge it to 1000 watts and throttle back down to 500 are you still saying you get double distortion or only when you run it maxed out?

Ohm ratings on a loudspeaker driver are all over the map anyway, and the fixed number is just an average. some drivers and amp combinations might be a natural born nightmare and some might play very well together depending on where the impedance min and max are.

My attic has standard 2 ft spacing on trusses, couldn't get a box up much wider than 20 or 21 inches. LOTS of vertical space and headroom to take a low profile style TT or THT vertically up through the opening and keeping it vertically oriented all the way to the installation location, only about 15 feet away from the attic access point. One of the real plusses in my home's layout!

Anyone such as yourself who has cut 7 degree miter angles for a TT could probably do 30 degree miter cuts while drunk, during a 7.5 earthquake with a cop shootout going on next door.

I've never done a miter cut during an earthquake or shootout[:P][D]

Carl,

How big of an area is needed for an infinite baffle? I have a large area under my fireplace and behind a tv, but I doubt that it is big enough to work.

A minimum of 10 times the Vas of the 4 drivers combined is ideal. Smaller will work if necessary but at least 10x is the recomended volume.